View Full Version : GotStipers and whoever else makes their own soft plastics.

Patrick
05-15-2001, 10:24 AM
I was reading my Jannet catalog and I see they sell the stuff needed to make soft plastics. Unfortunately, all their molds are for freshwater stuff. So I figure if I want to do this, I have to make my own molds. Well I have a few questions because it seems like it's a great way to save money.

What do you make your molds out of. I read somewhere, I don't know if it was you or not, about using "car putty" to make a mold. I don't know what that stuff is but what do you use? What is the general process in making a mold? How do I make it so the top part of the mold disconnects from the bottom half?

Now, the Jannet company sells the plastisol, plus softeners and hardeners. How do you feel about these additives? The two things I want to make are "Sassy Shad" and rubber eels.

On the front half, I want to make it with the hardener so my hook doesn't rip but on the back end, I want to make it soft and supple for more action. Is that possible? I don't really have to make split colors. For sassy shad, I use pearl exclusively. For eels, I'll make them all black or olive.

How do you feel about adding scent to your soft plastics? What do you use? Could I just add some drops of menhaden oil? What about an eel scent? There are only two ways I know to get eel scent. One is from eels, the other is Smelly jelly. You know of any other way to get eel scent?

Lastly, do you have any other tips on making them? What is the advantage of hand-poured over injecting?

Thanks

Jaiem
05-15-2001, 02:33 PM
What are you trying to get out of making your own plastics?

IOW, what is it you can't find in the wide variety of commercial plastics that you feel you need to make your own?

Got Stripers
05-15-2001, 03:49 PM
I wrote an artical on the subject. Go to my Fishing Page and the artical's board, the artical will answer those questions and give you some other sources for commercial molds.

http://www.rgsiroisco.com/fishingpage.htm

[img="http://www.rgsiroisco.com/fisherman.gif"]
Tight lines.

Patrick
05-16-2001, 05:25 AM
Well GotStripers, Sorry about misspelling your name in the title, that just about summed up EVERY QUESTION I would have asked, ever...

Jaeim, there is something special about doing it yourself. A feeling of accomplishment, at least for me. For me, part of the fun is the prep work. I get into the technical aspects of everything. Nothing beats taking apart the reel, wrapping your own guides, tying your own flies or carving your own plugs.

I know you make custom flies for at least part of your living, why do you do it?

Take a look at how a Chef goes about his business. Very rarely do you see a chef use a can of Ragu to make a spaghetti sauce. He starts out with tomatoes, oregano, garlic and all his other spices. Once you know everthing that goes into it, you know exactly what will come out of it.

For the longest time, I have used soft plastics. They are great fish catchers. There is one problem though. They are either too hard or too soft. The hard ones don't have enough action, the soft ones tear too easily. If I can make a shad with a tough body until the bend of the hook and a soft tail section, I'm in business. I can't find one I like. I use Mister Twister Sassy Shads and then a generic brand from the tackleshop. The sassy shads have great action but after two or three bass, they fall apart. The generic brand are tough but they don't have the action. If I'm going to spend money, I might as well spend money on something I truly like.

GS, thanks again for all your help.

Jaiem
05-16-2001, 07:57 AM
Patrick (05-16-2001 06:25):
I know you make custom flies for at least part of your living, why do you do it?

Custom flies are a different matter. Someone wants a particular combination of colors or materials or size or hook style etc. There are many patterns you can't find in flyshops.

But rubbers are different IMO. Take a look in a Bass Pro or Cabelas catalog. There are zillions of styles, colors, sizes and shapes. And they're relatively cheap. Between Bass Assassin, FinS, Mr. Twister, Berkley, etc etc etc you should be able to find something you like and works.

I'm not busting on you Patrick. If you want to invest the cost of making molds and raw rubber, scent etc, go for it! But I just don't think it's very efficient.

Got Stripers
05-16-2001, 08:25 AM
Jaiem I couldn't disagree more with your last statement to Patrick. In fact nothing could be MORE EFFICIENT, than pouring your own plastics. Look at the Bass Pro Shops price on Sea Shads ($2.99 for a 10 pack), the Shad Assassin ($3.69 for a 10 pack) or the Fin-S Fish at $2.49 or $3.49 for a 10 pack of 4" or 5.75" baits. Consider most of you guys aren't getting more than a couple fish per bait and if your like me a day on the water might put 30-60 fish on the end of your line, how would you call that efficient?

I buy a gallon of plastic from Lurecraft at $28.75 and it might make a thousand baits for me, plus I'm still fishing baits that have been melted over and over again over several years. When you figure in the fact I'm melting down baits time and time again, I'd be surprised if I pay more than 0.0095 cents per bait. Yeah, you read that right.

Now tell me who's paying more for plastic and who's more efficient....lol. I'd say go for it Patrick, but this argument only holds water, if your capable of putting some numbers of fish on the end of your line on a routine basis.

[img="http://www.rgsiroisco.com/fisherman.gif"]
Tight lines.

ragfly
05-16-2001, 08:07 PM
Go for it Patrick! if you enjoy doing it than who cares if it isn't efficient.