View Full Version : hmmm?

Nebe
12-22-2003, 05:49 PM
I sucessfully through wired a couple plugs today but am left with a couple questions.

Firstly, In what order do you guys who use envirotex do the through wireing? do you paint, wire, clearcoat, or do you paint, clearcoat, then wire?

I painted, then through wired without a clearcoat and I scratched the paint up a bit with my pliers..

Secondly, If you clearcoat after you wire, how do you keep the swivels from getting epoxy on them?

I'm thinking of getting a rotesserie motor, but I cant stop thinking of the swivels bouncing back and forth all over the epoxy:smash:

Any hints for me??

Christian
12-22-2003, 06:49 PM
i paint wire epoxy. i have no trouble anymore with the swivels sticking, just dont cover them in the stuff.
on my turning thingy i used to have the problem of the swivels going make and forth as they went around, but then all i did was attach a couple rubberbands to the middle bar and then a little hook to the swivel. here.

Nebe
12-22-2003, 07:24 PM
Aha... Thanks boy wonder:D

I never thought to make a turner like that. I was only thinking about a turner where you do a soul-train all in a row, like BM's..

I cant believe that I actually thought I'd save $$ by building my own plugs :laughs: :laughs:

Jigman
12-22-2003, 08:37 PM
I do something similar to what Christian showed. Difference is that I use springs on either end (picked them up at Homies) of the plug rather than rubber bands. I also don't use anything to hold the swivel like he shows. Yeah, they bounce back and forth as they turn, but they are inside a grommet, so no epoxy there. Just don't hit the swivels with epoxy as you coat and you'll be fine. I occasionally get a little epoxy on the edge of the grommet and the swivel sticks to that. Pretty easy to pop them off. Just make sure they rotate correctly after doing that and you'll be fine.

Jigman

Nebe
12-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Thanks Jigman, I was going to skip belly grommets, but it makes sense now. hey, you'll be getting a late christmas present from me... its not done yet, but when I'm done there's a few with your name on it:D

Jigman
12-23-2003, 09:36 AM
:happy: :jump: :bounce: :boots: :D

Jigman

UserRemoved1
12-23-2003, 09:42 AM
:uhoh:

Canalman
12-23-2003, 03:11 PM
Eben,

I don't use a spinner at all anymore. I paint - wire - epoxy and when they are coated I hang them and flip them every 15 minutes or so. Haven't had a problem since. The epoxy usually stays put so if you don't get epoxy on the swivel then you should be ok.

-DAve

vitamin sea
12-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Canalman

How long to you have to flip the plugs before the epoxy stays in place? I guess that would have something to do with the brand/grade of epoxy but, in general, what would you expect?

Canalman
12-23-2003, 05:21 PM
oh yeah.. I guess I should have mentioned that :smash:

I do it for 1 hour sometimes a little more. works great though... actually Newell Guy is the man behind that one.

-Dave

rocketman
12-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Thats very clever Christian. You're practically thinking.:D

Nebe
12-23-2003, 07:40 PM
Cant wait till the 3rd!
I got sooo many questions

Jigman
12-24-2003, 01:00 AM
If you are flipping them, will depend on the epoxy that you use. Devcon, you can flip after 10 minutes. May be do it twice. Something slow setting, like Systems Three, you'll probably need to do a bunch of times. Or just spin them :D