View Full Version : Mike CC + Herring crew...

East Tide
05-15-2001, 11:02 AM
Guys, I have a 1500 gph pump and a good size tank. last season i wrapped a panty hose around it and it kept it from getting clogged with scales. I re-wrapped it this year and it's s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g alot harder but getting clogged so the water isn't flowing well if at all. I was thinking about using a tupperware container with bigger holes in the sides and some porch screen over them, and obviously an outlet for the tube and wires. does anyone else have any other suggestions? I need to try to keep them overnight for the first time so i can fish thur morning (last season i had to work tu/thur mornings so i didn't ever try to keep them on off days). I noticed that Mike T uses a big piece of foam or something at the base of his. I plan to work on it around 8 pm tonight so a quick response would be GREATLY appreciated. Also, how about keeping 25 overnight with this system and two smaller 20 gallon fish tank aerators. ANyone try it??? Culd I keep more???

Slipknot, I think my friend Chuck and I will be starting out on my nemesis WEST TIDE at around 5:30 or 6 am thurs, e-mail me. I also plan to fish fri am, same tide....

Thanks alot guys,

East Tide

Saltheart
05-15-2001, 12:17 PM
Its the scales that kill you. I think the idea of putting the pump inside a screen container is a good one. I would even just make the whole container out of screen. Like a screen box. Use the coarses mesh possible but small enough so no scales get through. If you use a container with holes with the screen inside , make lots of big holes in the container. The scales will clog small holes and you'll have the same problem. Big thing also is to keep them cool. I'd put some big blocks of ice in there just before bed.
I also find it helps to run the pump about an hour after taking the herring then clean the screen or foam filter outside the tank. This gives the filter time to trap most of the scales and then you get them out of the tank when cleaning it. I believe most of the scales come off right away as a result of the herring being netted. Once you get those initial loose scales out , I don't think they shed many more just swimming in the tank. I think you'll find that the pump intake has a very small screen also. Be sure to snap the motor off and clean that screen too.

jettyjockey18
05-15-2001, 12:22 PM
the biggest problems to deal with when overnight soaking herring in a closed system is
1. ammonia buildup
2. water temp

add pogy saver or some other ammonia agent to keep the ammonia levels down (the ammonia is the most common killer). add a 5lb bag of ice to keep the water temp down. 25 fish is doable, providing you take care of items 1 and 2.
as far as clogging, i don't know the configuration of your pump, but i would recommend a through hull style with a single 3/4inch pickup tube (i use a rule 700). no clogging, and keeping the pump out of the tub keeps the water from heating up as much.
btw, a 1500 gph pump is pretty powerful for a livewell, you may have issues s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g the herring into the pump intake and cloggin it that way. hope any of this helps.

selah
05-15-2001, 02:11 PM
I use a couple of different types depending on how i'm fishing and how many of us/herring we need to keep. For on the beach driving and a fair amount of people/bait we use a 100 gal 1000 gpm pump this one goes in the tank. mount the pump on the lid of a plastic jug. drill lot of holes in the jug and fill it with those plastic skin scrubber things, like a fake loofa [sp]
ask a woman or go most any store ocean state has all this cheap. then add a pipe or hose to the top with a diffuser to shoot the water back down. wire the rig to a mount works great all season, clean it once a year.
the second way is for a smaller tank. through hull type mount with an extension line inside then mount the same filter on the extension, run a second line up the side and through the top of the tank again clean it once a year if you like. ammonia will be a problem overnite.

East Tide
05-15-2001, 07:13 PM
Guys, Since I couldn't get a straight answer, I took my own advice ;) I bought a tupperware container, some of the flexible (not alumnium) screen, proceeded to drill 2 1/2" holes all over the sides and on top. I then put the screen over it ductaped it in place, no not duck tape, and fitted the cap on tight. it works well so far. Now, who has tried to keep herring alove overnight in a smaller style portable livewell !!!!

What should I use to combat the ammonia? I've never heard of that before?

Thanks for the input,

East Tide

Slipknot
05-15-2001, 07:50 PM
Change the water, that'll get rid of ammonia. Or bait stores sell pogie saver, try it.

Dave I'll send you an email tonight. I will be fishing thurs. and fri A.M. also.

mikecc
05-15-2001, 08:08 PM
East Tide
I see they pretty much covered it.
The Amonia level is very important.
If you can't find any Amonia Carb at pet shops. or Pogie Saver stop by the shop some time and I'll give ya some.
If you do find PS a little goes a long way
1TBSP treats 30 gallons.

East Tide
05-16-2001, 11:32 AM
Mike, Thanks alot. I'll try a fish store and if they don't have it I guess the hose will be running all night!!!! My new setup is pretty smooth, I ran it on the battery eliminator for awhile last night and it works well.

Slipknot, I am at school right now. I plan to fish starting a little early so I can get the spot at the bottom of the steps. Long run wiht the herring but thats where that guy Mike got the 49 1/2 lb'er last year on herring!! I would have stuffed a few extras down her throat ;) Did you fish this am?

Dave

Slipknot
05-16-2001, 01:19 PM
No, East Tide I was saving my cookies for Thurs. and Fri.

Which steps? there are lots of them.

JPowers
05-16-2001, 03:47 PM
SlipK : I think he means the hundred steps just west of the herring run. The steps go up the path by the nature trail

Slipknot
05-16-2001, 04:59 PM
Oh those steps, thanks Jim. where you been? I will bring dead herring tom. live are a pain in the you know. Last year I carted about 16 herring in 2 pails to the cribbin, 2 fish broke off. This year I am going to be prepared, but I'll go with dead and jigs.

jettyjockey18
05-17-2001, 08:38 AM
you humped herring to the cribin??...i'm very impressed...some nights i don't want to carry my rod to the cribin :):)

JohnR
05-17-2001, 08:45 AM
I agree with JJ18, I'd rather walk to Squibby or Naps than those steps/path/hiking trail/getting lost... I've also come to the conclusion that you're better off moving latterally for a 1/2 mile from the run lot than to meander through the trees and steps when you're a fat guy like me.... Mileage isn't the problem, it's the damn climbing >( }> :o :P

Slipknot
05-17-2001, 09:48 AM
Yep, that's what crazed dedicated striper nuts do. I cheated and used my kids little red wagon, only had to carry the rod.

I met East Tide at the foot of the steps before 6 A.M. and he trucked down the steps with his herring while I biked in from the parking lot with my dead ones. Lost a good fish right away at slack when I cast near a splash right in front of me :( Only got 1 jigging, about 30" , Dave had 3-4 before I left. Guys at the run were hooking them mostly with live herring.

chris L
05-17-2001, 02:00 PM
bruce sure its the kids wagon , you got that idea from patrick ?

see patrick other people use little red wagons too and bikes . I my self have a 3 wheeler rigged to fish off of .

Slipknot
05-17-2001, 04:22 PM
LOL :) :) :D

Jenn
05-18-2001, 11:04 AM
Ooh Baby! is it the kind with the big pneumatic (sp?) tires and side boards??!! I bet it kicks some but! hee, hee, hee........

Canalratt1
05-18-2001, 05:30 PM
Those stairs are killers! Besides there are too many good spots between the run and the cribbin to walk by. Some nights the walk takes hours.

East Tide
05-18-2001, 07:32 PM
Man, You guys are old and a bunch of pansies!!
I ran down those steps, with 2 rods, 2 dozen herring, my surf bag and cigar in mouth (Fuente 858)!!! :) Oh, BTW I was wearing waders too!! Ask Bruce.

Last May that kid Mikey hiked a 49 1/2 lb'er up those steps. I bet he wasn't complaining like you softcores!!

I fished up at the plum island beachfront from 5:30-7:00 tonight and got about 10 fish up to 28". Big school of fish working bait offshore, too bad they stayed that way .

East Tide

Slipknot
05-18-2001, 08:50 PM
Yep, pansies all of us. You forgot the basket to keep the herring in also, One trip down, wow you da man East Tide another dedicated stripernut. I was 24 once too, I could lift my brothers Honda Civic off the ground , I wouldn't even think of trying that crap now.

You'll pull a good fish out sooner or later. glad to hear you got into some fish up there north of here.

JohnR
05-18-2001, 09:51 PM
Pansies, I'll bet you were driftin' nightcrawlers under your fuscia bobber at PI... :P

Just wait til you get old and may you not get fat...

East Tide
05-19-2001, 09:45 AM
Slipknot, Thanks for boosting my ego with the basket. I forgot. In reality I'm the scrawniest guy on the site, I just happen to be a few cards short of a deck when it comes to chasing stripers :) Did you fish the canal today or yesterday? Hope you did well if so.

Dave

Slipknot
05-19-2001, 04:10 PM
Ya Dave , I went back for revenge on that big one. My dad met me at the run and got his 10 herring so I biked down with the 2 rods, basket and herring, they survived. I missed a few fish but landed 2 - 1 about 25-26" the other around 30-31". My dad got the skunk but we got out there and tried, once the current picked up good they scattered. Then I dropped him off and hit the east end and ran into JPowers. Bluefish are in the east end already.