View Full Version : Newbies Second Batch

Surfster
12-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Moving on from the "Chubsters" I decided to try my hand at Pikies and Surfsters. These are my prototypes. The sealed ones will be tested tomorrow. Any comments? Good/Bad? They will all get 3x 2/0 galv trebles for the swim test.

Surfster
12-28-2003, 09:19 PM
All around 2 1/2 oz.

missing link
12-28-2003, 09:26 PM
nice stuff.... cant wait to see them painted :)

Surfster
12-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Pikies (duh)

Surfster
12-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Surfsters and Pikies are weighted up front about .700 from nose.

Surfster
12-28-2003, 09:31 PM
Heres a closer look at my jointed Proto. I was going to chamfer the front and rear but it looks like I have enough trim by going too far with the front. Might the blunt end of the rear act as sort of a swim plate and give more action or act as a parachute and deaden the action? We'll see. Rear section I counterbored to get the loop deeper and further tightening the plug sections. Good/Bad Idea?

BigFish
12-28-2003, 09:46 PM
That rear end will definitely kill the action on that jointed plug, but dang nice work, I like em'! Keep up the nice work!:kewl:

Jigman
12-28-2003, 11:28 PM
Looking good :happy: Try them out and see how they work. If you like the action great. If not, let us know what they are doing and may be we can help figure out what to try.

I'm thinking the same as BigFish on the jointed. Try it out and see how it works. If the action is not good, try trimming the front of the rear section some. Where did you weigh this one?

What type of wood are you using?

Jigman

Surfster
12-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Figured I'd try the jointed the way it was first. Your both probably right but I may learn something in the process. Who knows?

All are cut from Cedar 2x2x36". I weighed them on a postal scale wifey bought me for Christmas. It's not digital but does seem fairly accurate measuring to w/i 1/4oz. and can be calibrated easily for what I'm doing.

I made a mistake and went for a better weigh in:

W/O hooks and each with a .25oz slug in the chin as follows:
Surfster=1.5oz
Pikie = 2.0oz
Jointed = 2.25oz

chumbucket
12-29-2003, 07:41 PM
...cool...Surfster surfster, finally...lets see that paint...:cool:

Christian
12-29-2003, 09:56 PM
niceeee:D

Surfster
12-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Took out the boys to swim last night. Sweet!
The jointed did better than I expected, slithered nice. I will still shave the backside just to look neater. The Pikie seems almost too "wiggly"? Is that possible. When it hit the water and I started a slow retrieve in no current my first words were "Whoa BOY" Easy Now! The nose stayed down and the tail was about 3/4" above water wagging an inch side to side leaving a turbulant wake behind...at a crawl.
The Surfster wanted the same action but I suppose because of the sloped head it wanted to stay just under the surface compleatly leaving just a little ripple on the surface of a glass like water. I think I might add a little weight towards the tail of the Pikie just to drop the tail a little and improve castability. It looks like a fish that wants to swim down in a bad way but has no tail to do it with!
Overall...very happy plugger today! Here comes the primer and paint!

Jigman
12-30-2003, 03:55 PM
Sounds about right for the pikie. More of a wide wobble with the tail slapping the surface. I would advise against weight in the tail. You'll kill the action. Pikies are not meant as a plug to be cast far. In fact, if you try to really get one out there, you risk snapping it off. Just ask Bassmaster ;)

Jigman