View Full Version : Conventional - need help again!!!!!!

RIJIMMY
12-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Hello all, I had a posting a few months back on conventionals and got some great advice. Im not sure if I used it though.....:(

I put together my Christmas list and I asked for a Abu 6500C3. My wife bought one for me, lefty crank, just what I asked for....
now I'm wondering if I asked for the right reel. This one is rated for 14lb test line, I use 20. I'm also not sure if this is really for saltwater. I browsed the forums and I see a lot of refernces to this reel as well as the 6500CL, which is also rated for 14lb test line. Im suprised about that....big game?
I need a reel to sling eels and plugs (1.5oz - 3oz). Is this a good bet? Can I use 20lb line? Will the reel still function? The reel looks great but if it wont get the job done Im going to return it.
As always your thougts are appreciated....

BigFish
12-29-2003, 03:54 PM
If it is a 6500 C-3, you should be able to load it up with 20lb! Do you fish boat or shore? Rocky or sandy? I fish from sandy surf mostly and prefer 15lb test on my Abu's!:kewl:

RIJIMMY
12-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Im purely shore, and yes its a 6500C3

Fishaddict
12-29-2003, 05:43 PM
Load that 6500 up with some 50lb braid and it will work just fine for plugging.. I use stealth and power pro on almost all my 6500 Abus for plugging 2oz to 4oz and they just love it.. Use 15lb mono on a 6500 C3Ct Mag when I really need distance. The 6500 will use 20lb mono..but distance will suffer.
Good luck...

InshoreAngler
12-29-2003, 05:53 PM
I have a 6500C3 loaded with 30# powerpro and it casts awesome.

My only non-Penn reel:D

goosefish
12-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Here's my 10 cents: If I'm not using braided lines on my 6500's I'm using 17Ib Tritanium Sufix. This is great line, tough as nails and casts like a dream.
Hard to find in New England. Most of us prefer Big Game, Ande or Yozuri. I was converted to Sufix a couple of years ago. Converted because I didn't lose a whole lot of fish in situations where I thought I might. Great for leaders too.
I like using a leader material that is made by the same company as my main line. This might be considered a wee bit anal, but hey it makes me feel better when I got a good one a' pulling on the end of my line.
The 6500 is a great family of reels. They tune up and cast like a dream.

Bawana
12-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Fine for lite plugs and I know some that are using 50 spectra on them supposed to be like same diameter as 20 mono.For eels I prefer either the 4500 or the 6500 shimano baitrunner spinning reel depending on the rod I*m using.when they hit you just kick in the bait runner and let them go till they stop and swallow and go again.This even allows for some clean lip hook-ups with blue fish using mono leaders.The 6500 series reels are an excellent choice.I just built a 7 ft g 843 rod to use with a c-3.My problem is I have trouble trying not to thumb the line so I really dont like the level line. I also like the mag elite and the blue yonder-but for more line the 7000 series-- 7000/7000c3/7000c synco/ c4- elite/ or even the 7700 morrum

fishweewee
12-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by goosefish
Here's my 10 cents: If I'm not using braided lines on my 6500's I'm using 17Ib Tritanium Sufix. This is great line, tough as nails and casts like a dream.
Hard to find in New England. Most of us prefer Big Game, Ande or Yozuri. I was converted to Sufix a couple of years ago. Converted because I didn't lose a whole lot of fish in situations where I thought I might. Great for leaders too.
I like using a leader material that is made by the same company as my main line. This might be considered a wee bit anal, but hey it makes me feel better when I got a good one a' pulling on the end of my line.
The 6500 is a great family of reels. They tune up and cast like a dream.

:humpty:

yup, what goosefish said. Sufix Tritanium is my favorite conventional mono hands down. You can order from Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops.

Stewie
12-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Take the reel to a shop you trust ,have them replace the drag washers with smoothies or HT100s , Try 30 lb Fireline. It will hold plenty of it. A drop of oil on the level wind worm every couple weeks, ditto in the spool bearings. You're gonna love that reel..........Can't wait for Spring

tlapinski
12-31-2003, 06:47 AM
definately replace the stock washers with penn HT-100's. that is probably the best, and first upgrade, you should do. as far as line, definately go with braid. i had a few fish take deep in the spool when i used to throw 20# mono on my 6500's. it makes for a good story, but not good on the heart! :smash:

RIJIMMY
12-31-2003, 09:33 AM
Thanks for all the advice, looks like Im keeping the 6500C3. I'm thinking about replacing the crank too.