View Full Version : What knot to use?

fishaholic18
12-30-2003, 10:15 AM
What knot do you guys use to join lead core to mono? I tried an Albright and a Blood knot but couldn't get them to come out right because the lead don't want to cooperate. I tried it several time and was getting pissed. I ended up using a Uni to Uni knot. Will that be good? Seem to be strong enough. I just don't want to find out the hard way.:af:

Roger
12-30-2003, 11:01 AM
When tying anything to lead core line you must first remove a section of the lead core. Push back the covering 10 to 12 inches and break off the lead. Pull the covering back and the result is a section of dacron line.

missing link
12-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Roger
When tying anything to lead core line you must first remove a section of the lead core. Push back the covering 10 to 12 inches and break off the lead. Pull the covering back and the result is a section of dacron line.

yup hes right :) i was just gonna say that..:D

Bawana
12-30-2003, 01:44 PM
If it will help I use this for just about all line to line splices except 80 up dacron---make a loop in lead core about 3 inches and pinch together with fingers so loop sticking out--take mono and go up thru the loop .with about 8 inches of mono also grab it with the fingers pinching dacron.wrap mono around around loop 10 timesand go back down thru loop carefully tighten so it slides down loop to loop and wraps stay straight.Trim tag ends and go for it. I also use this for tying shock line 40/50 # to 15/20 # for canal. Hope you can understand these directions.Was showed this years ago by Bell Rd. regular at canal and have found it works with everything.

Roger
12-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Bawana
If it will help I use this for just about all line to line splices except 80 up dacron---make a loop in lead core about 3 inches and pinch together with fingers so loop sticking out--take mono and go up thru the loop .with about 8 inches of mono also grab it with the fingers pinching dacron.wrap mono around around loop 10 timesand go back down thru loop carefully tighten so it slides down loop to loop and wraps stay straight.

Sounds like an Albright to me. It's a good knot
http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Knots%20&%20Rigging/fk_albright.htm

Bawana
12-31-2003, 11:58 AM
I looked at the attachment and it appears to be that.I do however find it easier to make the loop in mono and wrap with the dacron(which is more flexible) when tying mono to dacron splice even when dacron is the heavier line.Would think the lead in line would help this when going other way.Now I*m curious.Does leaving lead in have some adverse effect on the Knot. I dont usually use leadcore.I usually use drails or a downrigger.Wire is also a pain in the rear end butI have even used this Knot with it