View Full Version : Sportsmen/women Shows

Swimmer
01-02-2004, 11:00 AM
The Standish Rod & Gun Club show is January 10th & 11th and is what I consider the emotional beginning to the much anticipated first bass of the season. While its true that the larger percentage of tables are filled with hunting gear many more in recent years have been rented by fishing retailers and enthusiasts. The Mass Stripe Bass Association is there and have alway been. Our display and table has always been manned by John "no pain" Cherico, the mayor at Eagles Nest, and many other copntributing members of the club. Their are flyfishing tables tables as well as conventional fishing gear tables. For the fly guys, a local trapping club always has for sale a huge box of bucktails, which go fast because the jig pourers are in the show early and buy them. The trapping club members sell them for a buck a piece, yes the pun was intended. Get it, buck... bucktails...
Our friends and close associates in regards to beach access issues, M.B.B.A. always have a double table at this show. The Fish and Game guys are there along with OTW magazine representitives. And for a dollar a piece you can get in on some great raffles, and support a broad spectrum of issues that affect us all. I am not a member of the gun club even though it is located in my town, but I am a member of the M.S.B.A. who has always had a table at the show, so going to this show supports everyones self-interest. For seven or eight bucks or whatever they charge it the best just after christmas pick-me-up I have found. Looking over everything there can easily take up a morning. Finish up by spending time at the M.S.B.A. table.
The Standish Rod and Gun Club is located off Union Street, across route 18 from the library, a big ugly sign always is there, on Burr Lane.

BigFish
01-02-2004, 01:41 PM
If you are looking for hunting stuff, then by all means go (if you like to be jammed into two small rooms like sardines in a can)! If it is fishing related items you are looking for, don't bother! Nothing but Guides (mostly hunting) and taxidermists! Nothing but guns and bows for sale, not a fishing rod in the place....no exaggeration! It was so crowded last year, that the crowd kept everyone moving through the aisles....there was no room to stop and even look at the tables, and chew the fat! Don't get me wrong guys, and I don't want to hear you telling me I am wrong, because I was there, this is my opinion and I think that people who have never been might want to hear a different opinion of the show! If you guys liked it, then we can simply agree to disagree! So crowded last year that the fire dept. should have fined them for overcrowding the hall....very dangerous I thought, and I had my kids with me! Never again, but hey, if you do go.....let me know if you "enjoyed it"!:af: :af: :af:

Squid kids Dad
01-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Bigfish..you must have went at the wrong time,,Whatever time that was...:huh: Every time I have gone it was very relaxing...But your right I think its more geared to hunting..And I did take a few chances on fishing rods they were raffling off...Just my opinion

Swimmer
01-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Bigfish the bottom line is that the Standish Rod and Gun Club backs us in our endeavours and we should back theirs. We have a large booth at the show, which that alone is enough for our members to go and say hello to the members of the club who are manning the booth for the weekend, and show our support. I am quite surprised your response said nothing about John Cherico and Mr. Thoms and the other fellows who man the booth, and sell raffle tickets. Ya, the place can be crowded and hot because they have one awesome wood stove cranking our the btu's in there. I have never had a problems stopping at any table to look at anything being sold. I especially like it when Janet Mesineau shows up from the vineyard with her fish mounts. Or when Randy Julius another, you know, fishing guide, who has his bird drawings that made their way onto the duck stamps the state sells to those other guys, those hunters, you know the ones that carry guns to bag their prey, not fishing poles. Then there is always the 3 or 4 booths who are selling raffle tickets for flyrods to support the various clubs they represent. I just had a thought, thats similar to what we do, have raffles to support our club. What do you know? And so what if there were just guides there and not hardly a fishing rod to be seen. That statement is also without merit. I have seen many fish related booths at this show. Some of those same people buy tables, in case you hadn't notice, at our show in Kingston. Given the fact that you just spent a year as our clubs vice-president your response from a vice presidents perspective should have been respesentitive of the broad spectrum of outdoor sports activities and not just the ones the please you. Stop fishing in just the shallow end of the pool. Your responses affect more than just what makes your boat float. :af:

No Pain!

BigFish
01-03-2004, 04:39 PM
:af: First and foremost Swimmer, do not throw the fact that I was past VP of MSBA up in my face cause' that won't fly with me! The opinions that I expressed in regards to the Standish show, as I stated earlier are "MY" personal opinions, and I left room for your opinions and anyone elses opinions in this forum and did not try to force any issues on anyone as you obviously are trying to do by throwing this "you are the past VP of MSBA and you should do this and you should do that" crap! My opinion of this show is simply that...."MY OPINION" and it has absolutely nothing to do with my membership, affiliation, or past service to the MSBA in any way!!!! It is simply my opinion of this Sportsmans show as just that....a Sportsmans show! I am not talking about their club in any respect and absolutely not showing them any disrespect whatsoever, I simply did not care for the fact that their show is way too big for that small hall (their clubhouse) and that it is a show that is 95% geared toward the sport of hunting, and that is fine! I can appreciated the fact that people enjoy hunting and I think that it is an honorable sport, I am simply, once again, giving my opinion to anyone who wants to read it, in regards to the show in question! I have been not just once but three times, and each time it got more and more crowded, and less enjoyable! As far as my response to you not mentioning John Cherico and Ed Thoms, you know darn well I mentioned them to you in a private message, so don't even think I do not give them the consideration that they deserve in all they do, because I know it better than you do, and on a personal basis, as I have worked closely with these two guys many times past and will work with them many times in the future, because I am involved in my clubs affairs on a personal level!!!! I get involved on a personal level, and donate my time and energy to MSBA which is more than I can say for many people who stand on the sideline waving to the parade as it passes them by! The pool that I fish in is alot deeper than you obviously believe it is! I am a fisherman first Swimmer, not a hunter, not a politician, and not your personal punching bag! If you choose to take my actions as an active member of MSBA to task, I would stack myself up against you who cast the stone, anyday of the week and twice on Sunday! Your insinuations that I do not show the proper respect to John and Ed, quite honestly, is way, way out of line! You connecting the dots between my past service to MSBA as an officer, and my own personal opinion of the Standish Show is also way out of line, especially considering that I did not mention my affiliation, or membership to MSBA at all in my previous post, so I resent the fact that "YOU" bring it up in yours! MSBA and my own personal opinion are two seperate things altogether! So believe me when I say that in the pool of life, I always fish the deep water, and I have not seen you fishing there.....not once! I offered my opinion on the show, and in the post stated it as such, "my opinion" and not once did I impune your opinion! I gave you the respect that I think anyones opinion deserves, the opportunity to be heard! Obviously you do not respect other peoples opinions and you would rather jam yours down everyone elses throat! I thought we had a right to voice opinion in this country and in this forum, so I do not appreciate you stepping on my opinion and my right to it!:wave:

Squid kids Dad
01-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Bigfish,,,The bottom line is...Sometimes one has to bite his tongue...
You did not give (a glowing report) of the Standish Rod & Gun Club show...The MSBA is a sponser of the show and has been for years... As well are many other sponsers who are affiliated with M.S.B.A. and who have helped M.S.B.A in their own show.....While we value your opnion I just dont think it should have been expressed on this public forum as it was..

Swimmer
01-03-2004, 10:28 PM
I may have been somewhat harsh with my reply to your response to my post regarding the upcoming show at the Standish Sportsman Club, but only in the next to last line. You missed my point entirely, because your only concerned with your opinon.
Your right about one thing I missed your mentioning John Cherico and Ed Thoms in the PM. Your PM was only a carbon copy of your post. In the future keep all our emails out front on the list so theirs no question who said what.

BigFish
01-03-2004, 10:34 PM
My opinion is my opinion and I feel that I am most certainly entitled to voice it here and anywhere that is called a "FORUM"! According to Websters dictionary the meaning of the word "FORUM", in case you need to be reminded, is "A public meeting place for open discussion" or "A medium for open discussion, as a radio or television program" or "A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion among experts and often including audience participation"!!!!! I prefer the last definition personally, so if anyone should be biting their tongue it most certainly will not be me! The Standish show did not get a glowing report from me because I would be perjuring myself because in my opinion as Sportsmans shows in the area go....it is at the bottom of "MY" list because of the reasons previously stated. In so far as MSBA by your account being a "sponsor" you are wrong on that count! MSBA is a paying vendor and does not sponsor The Standish Sportsmans Club in any way shape or form! As far as my offering "MY" opinion on the show, once again, you and Swimmer fail to recognize that "MY" opinions are not bought or paid for by MSBA and I do not need to ask the permission of MSBA to express my rights of freedom of speech under the constitution of the United States of America!!!!!!! When I voice my opinion, it does not need to meet the approval of all of those who are affiliated to, or members of MSBA! Furthermore, the Standish Rod & Gun Club does not nor has it ever had a table at one of our shows to the best of my knowledge! So, to further my opinion, if I have not addressed each of your points quite carefully and thoughtfully, you and Swimmer should take your "Bottom Lines" and place them where your bottom lies! This is a public forum, with all due respect to JohnR, I believe he would agree that I am entitled to my opinions and if you did not want comment and conjecture, you should have placed your support for the Standish show under the other forum which I believe is there as a calendar of events. You were able to give your opinion of the Standish show, so there for, in an "OPEN FORUM" such as this I gave "MY" opinion and I most certainly stand behind it and if you do not agree with it, then there is a problem and it belongs to you and Swimmer!

BigFish
01-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Guys...in my original post I stated that if anyone disagrees with my opinion, we would agree to dis-agree, so I think we should leave it at that! Maybe you overlooked that?

fishweewee
01-03-2004, 11:33 PM
I think somebody made BigFish a little grumpy. :hihi:

rocketman
01-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by fishweewee
I think somebody made BigFish a little grumpy. :hihi: Venison chili & brownies, lots of brownies.:p

Squid kids Dad
01-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Your right...Sponser was the wron word..Should have been vendor...Agree to dis-agree ...peace:cool:

JohnR
01-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Well - time to flush this one :rollem: - both of you have a group hug, awright? :doh: