View Full Version : Need help catch stripers

Fast Ed
05-18-2001, 09:20 PM
I am going striper fishing tomorrow in the Delaware river and I know nothing about striper fishing. Smallmouth. Walleye. Freshwater lakes. Tomorrow I get to hit a tidal river and apparently it holds a lot of striper.

Just a few pointers would be nice....

Time of day?

Where does one look for them?

High tide or low tide?

Type of bait? (live or plugs or plastics)

Any help would be much obliged.

JohnR
05-18-2001, 10:05 PM
Simplest and best start is fresh cut bait with just enough weight to hold you in moving current. Chunked Pogie (bunker, menhaden all the same) or Herring on a 6/0 hook. run 24-36 inches of heavier leader 30# or so to the hook. Tie off a barrell swivel at the end and a fish finder and whatever weight above the swivel. This keeps less tension on the line with the hook...

Other options are to use swimming plugs like a Gag's Mambo Minnow (olive, olive/silver/ blue and white) and drift SLOWLY through the current - has a beautiful side-to-side wobble that irks a fish into striking - then hang on...

Those are probably the two quickest ways to a fish but there are a 1001 more. A lot of the big Chesapeke fish are probably still moving through there so you might have a shot at a monster fish... Make sure your line is new and o good quality....

Good Luck...