View Full Version : Advice on building live well???

cheferson
01-03-2004, 12:09 PM
I have been thinking about building a livewell for my pick-up, any advice tips? I was thinking of either using a big ass cooler or i also saw at bennys for $7 54 gallon plastic bins. What have you guys done?

Thanks

Bawana
01-03-2004, 01:12 PM
I use 84 Qt cooler with 12 volt plug in recirculater and also plug in fish airpump with airstone for eel tank.Change water every couple of days.Also have found that in light colored tank, eels tend to lighten in color so put black rubber mat on bottom and rocks to hold it and they tend to stay darker color for extended periods.For live bait fish use round 30 gallon barrel( or bigger if you have room) with same pumps.If you use square they tend to get in corners and drown from lack of oxygen moving over there gills.You can also buy regular live well tanks in various sizes.Also remember to keep net in truck to get either out of tank as you wouldnt belive how hard they are to catch with your hands when you forget the( !@#$%^&*) net.In fact buy two nets and keep spare under seat !!!!!Been there done that!!

cheferson
01-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Where could i find a large barrel with a lid that would work? I was looking to use it mostly for herring.

fishaholic18
01-03-2004, 03:10 PM
I use a 55 gal. plastic barrel that I cut down. I also use a Keep Alive pump that I bought from MikeCC at Cape Cod Tackle. Works great. I glued the pump to a piece of slate to keep it on the bottom.

macojoe
01-03-2004, 04:57 PM
I have two, one is a 1/2 -55 gal barrel with a pump and I add water from time to time thur out the day.
I have the pump hose come out of the top and on to the side with a 3/4 inch pipe to pump the water around.
When I want to pump water out I just pull the hose off and hang over board to drain.
For the truck I have a full 55 gal barrle laying on its side with a cut out for a door. Also same set up with the pumps. for ease of draning

Team Rock On
01-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Rubbermaid makes some really heavy duty tubs that are perfect. I found them at a feed and grain store in Hanover MA (N. River feed and grain?) At the time they had 100 and 150 gal. oval containers, about 2' tall, complete with drain plug. I think they were about $100 but definately worth it.

GBOUTDOORS
01-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Cheferson I have a place to get 55 gal. barrels if you would like one let me know and if so would you want a screw on lid or snap on? these have been used for pickeld food only so are safe for most uses.

Bawana
01-05-2004, 01:23 PM
right across the street from atlantic boats on 28 in wareham is a place that sells different sizes of plastic drums