RickBomba
01-04-2004, 05:18 PM
bump

UserRemoved1
01-04-2004, 05:28 PM
irregal bubba

goosefish
01-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Two falls ago, the herring and pogies were thick in Rhody Sound. It was just before Thanksgiving and I was down on the rocks with the dogs. I look and I see tuna busting bait right up on the shingle. I stood there and kept my calm, simply watching nature at her finest. After about three minutes the calmness had reeled into a frantic run back up to the car. Into the house I ran. Grabbing my heavy surf stick and a five ounce hopkins, I tore back down to the rocks. Of course the tuna now were well offshore.
I called my buddy in Boston. The next day he drove down, tuna shore fever in his mind. That afternoon we go down to the rocks where we saw pod after pod of porposie chasing bait. No tuna.
"Hey, you positive it was tuna that you saw..........all I'm seeing is porpoise."
"Yeah I'm sure. You shoulda see em'.............................

Never got another chance. This year I saw one school of bluefins, while tog fishing, about a mile off Newport. By the time we reeled up the tog rigs, hauled the anchor, tied on some metel, the tuna had sounded.

chris L
01-04-2004, 06:09 PM
i wonder If I could catch one in the ditch or maybe off a navy frigate ?

RickBomba
01-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Think the talk was off the Block.
Just trying to draw ol Pat out of the woodwork.
Later,
\Rick

Slipknot
01-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Rick, he can't post here anymore

fishweewee
01-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by chris L
i wonder If I could catch one in the ditch or maybe off a navy frigate ?

You're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddd.... :laughs: :rotf2: :rotfl:

goosefish
01-04-2004, 07:18 PM
I'm confused--figured talk was left-fielded, but felt, long winter, tuna, surf........... Metaphor in Navy Frigate?
Been duped on that one.

Scotch Bonnet
01-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Its not impossible

goosefish
01-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Sweet fish

missing link
01-04-2004, 09:14 PM
there was a full thread of saything thing fish was fake and not got my shoreon reeltime fishing board ...i think its iffy / true tho becasue he is on the van staal web site with pictures of it.

http://www.stripermike.com/images/vanstalltunathin.JPG

Nebe
01-04-2004, 09:43 PM
I like the part on the Van stall site where it says Striper mIke jumped out of his chair and ran to his pole when his van stal started peeling off line....

He caught it off the beach, look at his smile :D I can tell a liar a mile away.

FishermanTim
01-04-2004, 11:49 PM
I had spoken to the proprietor of the bait shop at the green harbor mariner. He confirmed the story of the 80lb. tuna caught from the shore in that region.
The harbormaster issued him a permit on the spot, since it was an accidental catch.

Slipknot
01-05-2004, 12:09 AM
There are plenty of skeptics on Reeltime that would argue about it :smash: I know it happened as he said it did. The fish pretty much beached itself in shallow water or he may not have ever seen it. He's a good guy.

Slipknot
01-05-2004, 12:17 AM
http://www.stripermike.com/093002.htm

Nebe
01-05-2004, 12:21 AM
How about the 2 guys down here in south county RI who were at the beach with their families enjoying themselves when a 100LB tuna came crashing into the surf next to them... what did they do?? they tackled it, and muggled it onto the beach!

a similar thing hapened this spring in narraganset at a undisclosed river mouth.. (this is the story I heard...... sounds fishy though) a guy was in his whaler and saw a big black shadow on the bar. He looked at it a while and jumped over the side and picked up a 50 lb bass that he or some other little motorboat had hit with its prop. IT was alive, but he kept it...

ahh fish stories....

Mike P
01-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by goosefish
I'm confused--figured talk was left-fielded, but felt, long winter, tuna, surf........... Metaphor in Navy Frigate?
Been duped on that one.

About 6 weeks ago, Patrick posted on another website that he was giving some thought to joining the Navy.

MakoMike
01-05-2004, 08:02 AM
It happened two or three years ago at Hither Hills in Montauk. Some kid caught a 40+ bluefin. No one realized that it was illegal for hime to keep it (its illegal to keep any tuna without a federal license). It happens rarely enough that I guess the feds don't enforce the law against surf anglers.

goosefish
01-05-2004, 08:19 AM
MikeP good thanks, I thought maybe he was in the Navy.

tlapinski
01-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by MakoMike
No one realized that it was illegal for hime to keep it (its illegal to keep any tuna without a federal license). It happens rarely enough that I guess the feds don't enforce the law against surf anglers. i think that they were gonna press charges against the guys in RI, but realized the bad press would be too much. if i caught a tuna in the surf, it would be sushi before anybody knew what had happened! :drool:

fishweewee
01-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by MakoMike
It happened two or three years ago at Hither Hills in Montauk. Some kid caught a 40+ bluefin. No one realized that it was illegal for hime to keep it (its illegal to keep any tuna without a federal license). It happens rarely enough that I guess the feds don't enforce the law against surf anglers.

Mike, I was under the impression that the NMFS tuna permit was only required when targeting tuna from a boat (which is how most people catch 'em anyways).

Reading the language, I wasn't quite sure that the permit would be required for the shore. I mean, what would you submit on the permit application as your "vessel?" Your sand sled? :hihi:

Anyhoo, don't matter none, I'll win the lottery before I catch a tuna from the beach. :crying:

Bawana
01-05-2004, 01:18 PM
why in the first pic does the tuna not have eyes and in the second they are drawn in by computer??They look like the were done with an etch-a-sketch.Also looks like it had been dead a long time before pics taken

Slipknot
01-05-2004, 01:30 PM
he caught it at night

Codfather
01-05-2004, 03:33 PM
I once read an article in On the Water where people were catching school bluefin from shore at a power plant in rhode island. I fish were Mike caught it a lot and that year the tuna were real close to the shore:D

MakoMike
01-05-2004, 03:35 PM
WW- You need the license to fish for or retain tuna. I guess you could make a pretty good argument that no surf fisherman is "fishing" for tuna, but if they catch one the rules are clear that it has to be immediately released with as little damage as possible. If you want to pay the fee for a license and you don't have a boat ask your shrink what to list. :D

ThrowingTimber
01-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Grampa caught a nice bluefin from shore, not huge but a tuna

Wee Wee I'd list my vessel as "my legsus & korkers" :D :laughs:

Larry Storch
01-05-2004, 10:01 PM
I buy the tuna story

JohnR
01-05-2004, 10:08 PM
A few responsible people have told me that StriperMike's fish is legit

fishweewee
01-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Well, I guess it's official. I pulled this off of the NMFS FAQ page:

http://www.nmfspermits.com/faqs.asp#faq18

Q: May I fish for Atlantic tunas without a vessel (e.g., from an oil rig or from shore)?
A: No, only permitted vessels may fish for Atlantic bluefin, bigeye, albacore, yellowfin, and skipjack tunas in the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and the Caribbean. If one of these species is caught incidentally during fishing activities from shore or from an oil rig, it must be released immediately