View Full Version : Snowstorm Blitz

DZ
01-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Imagine surf fishing for not one but two nights during a blitz of cow-sized bass, many of which are over 50 pounds with a few 60s thrown in. In your dreams you say, just not possible. I would say the same thing – only I know better, I'm one of the fortunate casters to have experienced a blitz like the one mentioned above.
Have you ever heard of the "Snowstorm Blitz?" This blitz is unprecedented in Rhode Island surfcasting history and until now had remained undocumented. Catching a 50-pound fish is special enough but when you witness over 140 bass landed between 30 and 60 pounds in about six hours of fishing I think you'll agree it was extraordinary. During these nights a forty pound bass was probable, a fifty a distinct possibility, and a sixty not out of the question.
The setting: November 1987, just offshore of Block Island a huge school of monster striped bass is on station feeding on the abundant 6-inch sand eels. A Nor'easter roars through the area bringing with it 50 mph winds and a snowstorm that dumps 4-6 inches of snow. When the weather clears the stage is set for some 35-40 surf casters that don't realize just how fortunate they are about to become. They are about to witness what may be the best surf fishing for striped bass to have ever occurred in Rhode Island.
I've spent 5 years documenting and writing about this event, interviewing many of the best surfcasters of the time. Come hear our recollections of this special event.
A slide show presentation of the Snowstorm Blitz will be given at the Newport Yacht Club, Newport, Rhode Island on Thursday January 15th starting at 7pm. There is limited seating so reservations are required. There is a $5.00 donation required at the door to this event. For reservations contact zambrotd@nwc.navy.mil

DZ

Nebe
01-05-2004, 03:10 PM
:drool:

I'm strting to think I might be a member of the wrong fishing club...

RIROCKHOUND
01-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Eben... come to the dark side.... (I've been a lifelong member since the age of about 7 in NCSWFC......) I'll be there that night... maybe a carpool if your interested......
B

chris L
01-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Ive heard many a story of that blitz but never from a fisher that was actually there that Im sure of .

Goose
01-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Lookin forward to it :)

Nebe
01-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by RIROCKHOUND
Eben... come to the dark side.... (I've been a lifelong member since the age of about 7 in NCSWFC......) I'll be there that night... maybe a carpool if your interested......
B

Yeah.. I'll see If I can make it..

I'll show you how I fish for bridge tokens:D

JohnR
01-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Really lookin' forward to this one :D !

Mr. Sandman
01-05-2004, 06:52 PM
how about a pay-per-view webcast?

Crafty Angler
01-05-2004, 07:35 PM
I'll see ya there, Dennis.

Let me know if ya need a hand setting up or need back-up projectors.

bloocrab
01-06-2004, 12:28 AM
:uhuh: :wavey: :buds:

...eamailedga

nor-easter
01-06-2004, 12:35 AM
DZ I hope you can get someone to get a video going with a good recording system to get the gathering "on tape" for Historical Purposes.
As each day goes by it seems there are fewer and fewer folks still fishing that were witness to such great events. It is so very important to the folks coming along to know and hear the truth about these former times.

When you get around to publishing your book it should be a best seller in this crowd.

Good Luck for a succesful evening!

BasicPatrick
01-06-2004, 01:51 AM
DZ check your PM's

milo
01-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Dennis PM sent

DZ
01-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the kind comments and good response. Looks like we'll have a good showing of S-Bcom site members there.
Just a note to let you know that this presentation will not be a "giving away the secrets" show. I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I did that (not to mention many other Block regulars that I have much respect for). Besides, I still fish out there and I have plenty of competition for my favorite spots. Some of you will no doubt glean some useful info but don't expect a detailed map. If you liked the book "Reading the Water" you'll enjoy this show. Pure entertainment with photos of cows thrown in. Just remember if your coming you have to make a reservation. The place is small and has a fire code capacity of 75.

DZ

JohnR
01-09-2004, 10:21 PM
bump :D

goosefish
01-09-2004, 10:37 PM
I'II try to make it. CarPool? We don't need tokens, Eben has a in-the-know secret.

Nebe
01-09-2004, 10:55 PM
take it wide.... look down and scoop em up baby... found about 50 last summer :ss:

Bill L
01-10-2004, 03:39 PM
DZ, looking forward to the presentation :D

ThrowingTimber
01-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Sounds good:D

RIROCKHOUND
01-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Bump....

cheferson
01-12-2004, 12:27 PM
You should have seen all the tokens i scored when they first put the new machines in! Did any of you notice the little clear rectangle under the basket? For some reason this was there, it had a little clear flap you could push back. At one point i had 50 tokens in my car(hadnt bought a roll in 5 weeks at this point), and i commute daily to newport from narragansett!!! Id grab 15 tokens at a time some trips over! But then i guess the authorities caught on and they 1st put yellow tape over to disguise it, then a week or two later they completly closed them off, bastards!!!:smash: If you look you can see what im talking about.

Nebe
01-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Cheferson.... you are my idol! here i am grabbing them off the ground one at a time and you press the withdrawl button:smash:

cheferson
01-12-2004, 11:14 PM
:jump: :p :D