View Full Version : Orvis Korkers

Crafty Angler
01-11-2004, 08:16 AM
I just got my Orvis catalog in the mail and I saw that they now have a set of boot treads that look pretty much like Korkers for $59.

Anybody know anything about them? The last pair of Korkers I bought were the K5000 buckle type which I don't like - I stil prefer the lace ups. Found my old pair in my tackle room the other night and might do a retread on them with stainless steel screws instead of the spikes.

Sounds like the QC on Korkers is worse than ever - anybody got any ideas? I wear Korkers about 95% of the time when I go out.

fishweewee
01-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Korkers suck.

Everything about them sucks - the straps and the spikes.

People get around the strap problem by duct taping the korkers to the wader boots.

I've seen some interesting upgrades on the spikes - snowmobile cleats I think. if i can find the article i'll dig it up for you.

It's nice to see some competition - hodgman's has a pair out and now orvis.

I guess only time will tell how good these are.

Young Salt
01-11-2004, 10:54 AM
I bought the hodgmans last spring and they've held up fine for me so far. They lace up and have one buckle that goes around the ankle.
I think they cost me $75.

Nebe
01-11-2004, 11:24 AM
LL bean has a korker style sandle now too... actually they have 2 styles if look deeper into the catalog.

Crafty Angler
01-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Hey, FWW if you find the article let me know, I'd really like to see it. The snowmobile cleats idea is a new twist -

I printed out a how-to thread with photos that was on SOL last year - by Bassblitz I think - I just saw it in a pile of magazines and catalogs in my tackle bunker in the basement. He used stainless screws as I recall and also reinforced the straps - I gotta dig it out now and reread it.

If I figure out something that's really crafty I'll post it. Otherwise, I'll just spend the $59 bucks and be done with.

Mike Lang
01-12-2004, 02:54 PM
I did the Oz/BB conversion on one of my spare sets of Korkers. They are a terrific alternative.
I ordered everything through jamestowndistributors

Here's what I ordered-excessive-YES-but I have my own stock to exhaust now ;)

200 Mach Screw Pan Head Phillips S/S 10-24 X 3/4 in.
200 Lock Nut S/S 10-24 Nylon
400 Flat Washer S/S #10

Good luck,

Mike L.