View Full Version : Cod Pipe Jig Colors

fishing bum wannabe
01-11-2004, 11:03 AM
I got time, I got plenty of tire weights, plenty of old 1/2" copper pipe to make pipe jigs. What is everyone doing for a finish on these. I have read everything from using them as they are to wrapping them in aluminum foil. What are you doing to finish yours? Anyone make any molds for Norwegian style cod jigs?

fishing bum wannabe
01-13-2004, 05:21 PM
I know some of you guys sneak out and catch a cod or two, and I know some of you make your own cod jigs. What's going on? Don't want to fess up and get caught by your purist wood turning, striper snob buddies? Nobody out there willing to share your experience with me! Remember, there is good cod fishing in April in Boston Harbor while those twinkie bass are just beginning to arrive on the Cape.

Slipknot
01-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Tony- canalratt would be one to ask maybe.

maybe post it on the main forum as some don't visit this forum too often.

BigBo
01-14-2004, 10:40 AM
macojoe makes his own pipe jigs too. I'm sure he'd also be glad to help you.

saltyric
01-14-2004, 01:29 PM
I have been covering the pipe with "prizmatic" tape, and then clear coating the jig. They work great.

fishsmith
01-14-2004, 01:44 PM
my buddies biggest cod this year came from a copper pipe jig.

color - copper
weight - 32oz

I don't think color makes a bit of difference when your >100ft.

Canalratt1
01-14-2004, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't bother doing anything to them. You could buy some cheap nickel pipe they have more of a chrome color. Do-its makes some molds for diamond jigs but I think they only go up to 8 ozs. Some guys made molds for the Norweighen style jigs I don't think there are commercial made molds for these. You have to use a ladel to pour them bottom pouring pots will not work. Oh tire weights are the worst lead to use too dirty and lousy lead.

JKRock
01-14-2004, 05:14 PM
I found some Norwegian style jig molds from some websites in the UK. Do a search on yahoo under "pirk mould" and a couple of places should come up. I ordered a couple of molds from a place called Gerry's of Morcambe to make 12 oz and 16 oz norwegian style jigs back when the exchange rate was better. Cost me around $25 each. Haven't tried them yet, but they look ok.

fishing bum wannabe
01-14-2004, 08:28 PM
I knew some of you guys made cod jigs!

Wow! The English definately have this down. I found several sites with "pirks" and "pirk moulds" and now have some ideas on how to paint them. Prisma tape and eyes seem to be part of their finish. They are almost as detailed as some of the plugs on this site. I bet white with a blue back and silver prisma tape would be a deadly spring jig color.

JKRork. What are you doing with those molds? Want to try them out? I have some lead, a propane stove and a big ladle. Also lots of 1/16" stainless wire for the through wire. I'm on the south shore. PM me if you have any interest.

maddog2020
01-14-2004, 09:46 PM
canalratt1 - do you have any pictures of your copper cod jigs? Just curious to what they look like.

You would need a beefy rod to work an 32 oz jig vertically. ;)

Bob Senior
01-15-2004, 12:27 AM
For lead I use lead flashing from Homies.

Gloucester2
01-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Bob Senior . . . I'm getting ready for a "Big Pour" and I've been searching out convenient sources of lead. I say convenient in the sense that ease of use is almost as important as cost of the raw lead. I've seen the lead flashing at Homies and it looks about $1/lb which is OK. One of the sharpies warned me to be careful that it's 100% lead and does not contain addatives which may affect pourability.

The other good source is supposedly plumber's lead (used in old lead and oakem joints) . . . supposed to be good lead at about $ .80 /lb. Just gotta find time to drag my BIL to the supply house :D

Gloucester2
01-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by maddog2020
canalratt1 - do you have any pictures of your copper cod jigs? Just curious to what they look like.

WeeWee and Capt Mike saw mine this year . . . Guys in Gloucester call it my refrigerator door handle :D

Canalratt1
01-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Sorry no pics, very easy to make and not much to them. If you go by Monahans in Weymouth he may still have a few of them for sale...;) As for lead flashing, plumbers lead is excellant almost pure. I think all lead has some nickel or tin in you want the "soft" lead for pouring especially large amounts. I have used line-o-type but it is "hard" and not as heavy by volume. Always pour outside and try not to breath the fumes and absolutly NO Water around!

maddog2020
01-16-2004, 01:23 AM
What do the ends of the copper pipe look like ?

What diameter pipe?

Do you think you could just pour in #9 lead shot (used in shotshells) as weight verses melting it all? Or may be use some steel shot to make the lure act like a big rattle chamber? Once you crimp the ends you could solder it so the stuff doesn't leak out.

I have some old shot laying around and should try it out. ;)

RI Popper
01-16-2004, 11:04 PM
I buy some cheap aluminum tubing and fill it with lead and It works great . Lot of cod: