View Full Version : Mitchell Nautil Reels

Skitterpop
01-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Thinking of picking up a couple soon but will replacement parts be available and for how long....any ideas appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike

fishweewee
01-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Mike, I wouldn't do it. Get a Penn 704z instead.

-B

Skitterpop
01-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey Ben,

Aren`t Zs being discontinued as well?

Thanks,
Mike

Karl F
01-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Mike, last I heard the Z's were gonna still be around, the SS is going to be dropped... U hear different?
And anyway, the Z's will last thru most anything, seem to thrive on abuse, and are wicked easy to work on, and most B&T's have tons of parts in stock, if needed...

Skitterpop
01-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Thank you Karl....
you always post good solid info.
I didn`t hear anything....maybe a rumor or question a ways back on the Z.

How about those Tundras? Frame rot on the beaches like Tacomas?

much appreciated,
Mike

Karl F
01-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Mike,
Wayne the Welder has templates for the repair on both, but he does a lot more Tacoma's. BUT thats only on the heavy beach use/boat ramp full time commercial fisherman type trucks.
You would be maintaining and washing underneath, I am sure, you shouldn't have to worry about that.. kind of a daily commuter, maybe hit the sand once/ twice a week in season?
Wash everything real good and keep up on the Lube rack, you will be fine.
Best of luck in the hunt for a truck, although ;) your one of those "connected" ;) car guys, U should get a deal!

fishweewee
01-11-2004, 05:58 PM
What Karl said. You'll always be able to get parts for the 704z's. Can't say I have the same confidence in being able to get parts for the Nautils.

Skitterpop
01-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Thank you Ben and Karl!

Great fishing and good health to you both,
Mike

BS4Shore
01-11-2004, 08:55 PM
The Penn Z series are all done. Discontinued. The parts will be available for five years. The SS reels are stiil around for now, but don't be surprised to see them phased out by the Slammer eventually. The Nautils are the same as the z's. The Slammers are a nice reel also. 560 Slammer's a nice reel, maybe the Daiwa Emblem or the Shimano Sustain or Stradic 6000/7000 size.

Karl F
01-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Hate to see the Z go, but there are lots of parts around, for now, and not that you need to get many! I can almost understand, they last forever, so why keep making a product, without planned obsolecense?

I really like the 560's, great reel for plugging, and eeling.
Don't know what you are looking for in a reel Mike, but, the 560 might be right up your alley.

Karl F
01-11-2004, 10:19 PM
HERE (http://www.pennreels.com/Reels/Spin/Spinning.htm)

2004 Penn spinning reels.... SS.... Slammer....
and 704 & 706 Z
Schematics
plus Parts for all.

:D