View Full Version : Poll about tipping

Got Stripers
01-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Unfortunately my wife is in the food service business, but I'm so tired of arguing over how much to tip. If she had her way, we'd be tipping 30% or better all the time and since I'm working one day a week due to the cold; I say that's a bit rich. I'm a 20% tipper if the service is good, less if it sucks to a 15% minimum and slightly more if it' really good.

What say you? Should I cave because she's in the business or since "I'm buying diner out", should I hold to my regular tipping standards? If she's buying I let her tip as she likes, if I'm buying I say shut your mouth and bite your tougue.

capesams
01-11-2004, 08:09 PM
here- here...one vote fa u.

Clammer
01-11-2004, 08:10 PM
sounds right yo me=========I have too wait until my faterinlaw leaves the table ///so I can make up for him =====================noone would make a linin with his thinkin :smash:

mikecc
01-11-2004, 08:26 PM
sounds right.

BigBo
01-11-2004, 08:54 PM
I think you're right inline GS.
Pisses me off when the wife wants to tip good at a buffet. WTF is up with that? All they do is bus the table. I say bare minimum for that chit.

Karl F
01-11-2004, 09:10 PM
15% if average, 20% if above average. I will admit, I went 30% once, because the service was incredible. I will also admit I stiffed once, because the individual deserved it, actually the individual should have picked up my tab :af:

Jenn
01-11-2004, 09:11 PM
having been in food service myself I have no prblem tipping 15% for ok service 20% for good service or more for great service. and this is the norm.

oh and if the service sucked....let them know it....but please be sensitive to the situation....just because your food took forever doenst mean its the servers fault...the delay could have been in the kitchen......just keep an eye out....if he/she seems on the ball with drinks and everything else...its probably not their fault

Karl F
01-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Actually Jenn, the bad case was all server.. couldn't keep orders straight, thumb on the plate, in the food, lick thumb, ugh, our food went to table next to us first, they let her know, she did the transfer, to all the wrong people at the table, real horror show, wrong drinks, only got worse after that, etc. etc.

Backbeach Jake
01-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Usually , if service is good, 15% attentive without smothering me 20%. The I-Slop at the Bourne Bridge incurred the wrath of hell from me. Pokey service , catsup on my coffee cup, catsup on my coffee cup after waiting 15 minutes, and oh yeah catsup for a third friggin time on my coffee cup after another 15 minute wait. Then served an un-eatible plate of what ever the hell they thought I had ordered. Guess what that tip was. Do-Da. Another tipless adventure was on a party boat out of Plymouth. After a fishless, yes fishless, boatride the mates came around with the tip jar. WTF! Go up and ask the Captain why you didn't make any tips today son. If you can wake him up.:smash:

fishaholic18
01-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Sounds right to me. 15% for good service & 20% for great service.

Jenn
01-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Actually Jenn, the bad case was all server.. couldn't keep orders straight, thumb on the plate, in the food, lick thumb, ugh, our food went to table next to us first, they let her

Karl...hope you didnt misunderstand....thats why I said notice whats going on......if the server sucks...yeah you'll know it...but I have cooked with some people that couldnt get an order of fries out in less than 20 minutes (it only takes about 3 or 4 minutes)......THATS not the servers fault....but they are the ones that get accused of slow service (because they are the ones the customer deals with)

Karl F
01-11-2004, 10:01 PM
I'm with you Jenn!
You can tell the difference, and I appreciate it when the server is the one who stops by the table and apologizes for the wait, and then hightails it to the kitchen to go move them along :D
I get the feeling that is what you have done, when you were there :D

Mike P
01-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Tips aren't a birthright. I usually go 15% for decent service and 20% for good service. 25% for exceptional service and 10% at a buffet. Last year I left a $1 tip and a note explaining why at a place in Phoenicia, upstate NY. The service just plain sucked.

Here in NY people tip workers you'd never think of tipping. Tipping barbers has become common now that there are a lot of unisex haircutting places and women seem to think they have to tip the person who does their hair :confused: These folks aren't making less than minimum wage so why tip them? Yesterday, I saw a guy tip the pit crew at one of those 10 minute oil change places. :doh:

But nothing gets under my skin like Dunkin' Do-Dos and joints like that, where they have a tip cup on the counter :af:

Nebe
01-11-2004, 10:51 PM
If I'm at my local breakfast joint and my bill is 5 bucks I leave 2 bucks tip...
but I go there all the time.
at dinner I leave 20% unless the wait person was a flake.. I've never left 30%

CustomMarineProducts
01-11-2004, 11:12 PM
15-20% for good service:cheers: , 20-25% if the service was excellent or I drank to much:jester: and a nickle if the service sucked.:behead:

MAC
01-12-2004, 07:11 AM
10% if service was so-so, 15% average, 20% if service was very good. 25% or more next to never. A single penny if service was terrible. I have only done this twice and both times I suggested to person that they should get into another line of work. And for those tip cups at places like Dunkin Donuts:af: :af: If you don't let them keep the change they look at you like you are a low life.

Karl F
01-12-2004, 08:43 AM
ya really wanna get there dander up,... next time it rings up at say, $3.03, or something.. put down 3 singles, and reach in the cup for the change.. when they scream, go, "Oh, I thought this was the penny dish!"... Saw a guy do it at DD

MakoMike
01-12-2004, 09:00 AM
I follow the norm 15% exceptional 20% but I don't hesitate to scale it back to .01 at times, if the service isn't good.
Jen,
Even if its the kitchens fault, I still scale back, after all most places share tips.

hooked
01-12-2004, 10:02 AM
I find myself tipping a lot more at Hooters.

chris L
01-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Im a jerk as most of you know !
if the service is fair 15% if its good 20% if it is excellent 25-30% . but if it sucks Im the biggest jerk in the restaurant . Ive stiffed waitresses ( tip ) and restaurants ( meal ) . Ive made huge disturbances and even the dime under the over turned water glass . I was in the food industry so I know its not always the server , just be very careful who in the kitchen you piss off . thats a whole nuther thread . lets just say there are 2 local restaurants theat people I know wont eat there any longer .

mrmacey
01-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Lets remember the minimum wage can be $2.60 for a waitress. cab drivers work on commission most service people depend on those tips I for one bend over backwards in the limo to service people I buy coffees sodas water anything I can do for you is done and my gratuities make me happy its the fishbowls that you break your ass trying to take care of and stiff you with $5.00 it cost more for the friggen toll and coffee i just bought your cheap ass.

fishsmith
01-12-2004, 02:11 PM
20% it keeps the math easy.

But why tip at dunkies, but not at fast food joints??

this is like the movie "RESERVOIR DOGS"

Mike P
01-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by fishsmith

I think Wendy's, Mickey D's, BK and the rest sorta frown on their employees soliciting tips ;)

Dunno about the rest but Mickey D's pays a little more than minimum, provides uniforms, allows employees free food (within reason) on their breaks and gives at least some bennies.

Slipknot
01-12-2004, 02:55 PM
I thought this was about COW tipping:o

20% is fine

mrmacey
01-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by fishsmith

It is instilled in us to tip for drinks!!

I used to wonder why I felt guilty not tipping a dd person but not a bk,mcds,:D

and as for cow tipping only someone from "middlecowboro" even knows what that is.:laughs: :happy: :happy:

Gloucester2
01-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by mrmacey

and as for cow tipping only someone from "middlecowboro" even knows what that is.:laughs: :happy: :happy:

and Raynham is the Big City ? I heard they just got their first taxicab :D

:wave:

chris L
01-12-2004, 05:10 PM
mushrooms !!!! oh I thought he said cow pie tipping . cow tipping oh he just wants to see them go boom .

mrmacey
01-12-2004, 05:25 PM
I forgot where I was Im a transplant from Boston area cabs move up there been here since 4am today two calls for a cab:smash: :smash: but Im not loosing faith yet! Ill make this grow and by the way whats up with wild Turkeys running around down here I seen three of them one day running across 44 I was like what the f@#$ are those things!! Never seen one before in my life and we wont even get into those little black bugs that are here in the summer:smash:

beachwalker
01-12-2004, 07:52 PM
The friggin convenience stors have tip jars out here (nantucket).

I tip but usually rate it based on the food/service and if I know the server or not.

:rolleyes:

KLMulder
01-12-2004, 08:08 PM
I dont have set set % that ill tipp it all goes by how good the person was and how many people were there eating. i have left form a penny to $100 for one gal who did cart wheels to make sure we were happy on a very busy night.

leptar
01-12-2004, 08:12 PM
I left a tip once... It read.. next time serve someone else.

Skitterpop
01-13-2004, 11:52 AM
For good service 20%

Average service 15%

Bad service.... complaint to manager and no tip.

Extra great service with some healthy cleavage thrown in (my face) more than 20% :p

Very Poor and food sucks: no pay bill and never return there

maddog2020
01-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Sounds right:

15% average service

20% above average service

25%++ for a hottie waitress that keeps asking me if there is ANYTHING she get for me. :D

-1000% for the hospital bill after my wife hits me in the head with the frying pan. :P

Never left no tip (even when I was a poor college student).

Never been to a Hooters before (really). Worth the hospital bill, or ?? ;)