View Full Version : Don's Marina, Rhode Island

Uncle Matt
01-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Don's Marina in Tiverton, Rhode Island? Good or bad please let me know. I bought a boat from them last weekend and I have only spoken to two people who have ever dealt with them. The salesman was great to me and the price was right. No regrets, just wondering if others felt the same way. Like always, thanks for your input. Stay warm!

Goose
01-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Pete is straight up...no BS.

Raider Ronnie
01-16-2004, 04:42 AM
Last year when I was looking to order my new Parker Sport Cabin, I went to 3 different dealers who sold Parker and Don's Marine was one of them.
In my opinion, Don's was By FAR the best dealer of the 3, and Pete was a great salesman (if there is such a thing) to deal with, and I found him to be VERY honest !!!
The dealership is 1st rate as well as a VERY large and clean service area to work on boats inside should you need service!
Go to Pilothouses.org and look for the Parker owners in R.I. you can E-mail those owners and I assure you they will tell you how great their experience has been with Don's.
Unfortunately for me, Because I use my boat in the Weymouth Ma. area I was forced to buy my boat from the dealer from that area and my experience wasn't an enjoyable one!
Ron

Uncle Matt
01-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Raider Ron-

I'm from central Mass and if you bought yours from your local guy I don't care for him either. Not the owner mind you. The owner and his wife seemed very pleasant. I started looking at Parkers last fall and I spoke with 3A just prior to Boston's in the water boat show. The owner was nice and great to talk to but he himself was not going to the show. He gave me the name of his assistant and I went to Boston to meet and speak with him. I introduce myself, and within 2 minutes the guy says and I quote "you realize these boats are expensive and not for everyone." Thats all I needed and walked away. I actually went to 3A the next day and sat with the owner to tell him thiis.

Needless to say, Pete at Don's treated me great and now I own a 2004 Parker 23SE. I told him this story and he had no problem selling me a boat. And I'd rather give Don's my sale and service for this reason.

GBOUTDOORS
01-17-2004, 09:59 AM
UM I have bought two boats at Don's in the past two years and can tell you they are the BEST!!!!! I have had some small troubles with the engines that were fixed the same day if not as I waited. They all have been extra nice from Don to Pete to the guys out back in service they go out of their way to see that you get help and on your way as fast as possible. Good luck with the new boat and hope to see you around the bay this season.

JohnR
01-17-2004, 10:23 AM
I've talked to the owner a couple times and he went so far as to say that something he didn't sell (and losing the potential sale) might have ben better for me. He also seemed like a class act and ran a good shop (formerly running a shop I can attest to that)

Uncle Matt
01-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Whew. I feel better knowing this. Thanks all. I spoke with Pete again yesterday and we chatted for 20 minutes like we were long lost friends. I go down next week to finalize the paperwork and talk to him about installing my electronics. I'm excited even doing that though.

GBoutdoors, now I have a large enough boat I'll need some help learning some new ramps and help fishing the islands. I've only been boating 1 year and last year I went out of the Pamet River each time. I'd like to meet up with some board members with boats and follow them until I learn the area. If you don't mind I may contact you this spring and take you up on your offer.

In fact, this is an open invitation. I'd be willing to meet up with any board members without a boats and take them out for the day just so I have someone to fish with. If they know MV, the Elizabeths, or nantucket even better. Let me know come spring!

GBOUTDOORS
01-17-2004, 07:50 PM
UM tell Pete that Greg B with the 2101 D/C Seaswirl said hi and to take good care of you. The best ramps in the area to get to the islands would be Dartmouth, Fairhaven and Westport. Lets talk in the spring as I would be glad to help you find your way around and get your feet wet.

Uncle Matt
01-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks GB. I'll take you up on that offer and contact you come springtime.

Uncle Matt
01-21-2004, 05:47 PM
GB -

Just came back from Dons and Pete told me he is retiring. He was only helping them out at the show but hes done. He will still be there to get the recently ordered boats to his new customers but thats it. That stinks!

captainjd7
01-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Been a customer of Don's for 9 years and have to say that the service and the professional attention you get is GREAT. Having recently sold my boat, I am looking for another boat and plan to use Don's for service. Don't think you can go wrong with this group.....Also note I have never had a problem with my boat that was serviced by Don's where I required assistance to get back in.

Uncle Matt
01-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Thats good news. When I went to Dons they introduced and showed me around the shop and generally treated me like gold. It was a different experience than I'm used to. Thanks for the encouraging words Capt.

budp
02-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Hey Matt, con-grats on your new boat.

Uncle Matt
02-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks bud. The cold winter is at least keeping me inside and I'm working overtime to pay for it. Another 7-8 weeks and I'll finally pick it up. Once the warm winter comes and the ice melt I'll be rearing & ready to go. Thanks again bud.

CustomMarineProducts
02-22-2004, 12:14 PM
I personally have never done business witht them. But, alot of my customers have. I can honestly say that I have never heard a bad word, only praise for them.:btu:

Fish-On
02-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I stopped by Don's on Sat for a water pump rebuild kit for my 1996 Johnson (200 HP)... They stepped me thought the procedure and said if I had any questions while rebuilding the pump to give them a call. They had all of the parts I needed in stock plus they were very friendly and helpful! If I was in the market for a new boat I would feel comfortable purchasing from them.