View Full Version : Feeding the birds

PNG
01-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Ive been waiting for this for some time. I get home from work yesterday and my wife says look whats been in the back yard for the last hour.
Cool did you get a pic?
NO I did not she replies.
Well I'm gonna. Hope the quality is ok, new camera not sure whats going to happen.

fishweewee
01-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Nice. Throw that thing some nice fat mice. :drool:

PNG
01-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Look closely at its talons... notice all the gray feathers about

This hawk has been picking off birds for some time I just havent been able to see it till now.

beachwalker
01-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Birds of prey are cool :cool:

Bassman18
01-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by beachwalker
Birds of prey are cool :cool:

no kidding, I was driving down to mountain creek for some skiing with a friend, then all of a sudden a redtailed hawk swooped from out of nowhere and grabbed a squirrel not fifteen feet from the car. Talk about beautiful, I wish I had a camera...

Goose
01-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Nice shot. zoom

Nebe
01-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Tie a kiten to the tree:devil:

PNG
01-17-2004, 05:50 PM
The saga continues....

missing link
01-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Great pic last year I had a red tail hawk at the feeder thursday night Coyotes out back howling so cold so I put old skanky christmas ham out for them on the bog I love hearing them howl
later link

beachwalker
01-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Live on Nantucket where there are ridulous amounts of rabbit.

The Red Tails, Harriers, Owls and Kestrels have a field day, every day.

Have some massive red tails out here. I'll try and get a photo some day.

Great pictures. Love those birds. :)

PNG
01-18-2004, 03:17 PM
BW - know what you mean by rabbits. I lived out there for a short time and its the only place I had to rinse out the bunny parts when done mowing the lawn:gorez: :eek5:

Raven
01-18-2004, 03:21 PM
when i lived in the mountains.....several times i saw towards dusk
a cool site.....a hawk flying with a snake in its talons flying back to its roost to eat him.

Gloucester2
01-19-2004, 04:29 PM
You ain't seen a bird of prey in action 'til you've seen a peregrine falcone hit a pigeon in mid air going about 40 MPH !

I'm work in a highrise that has a resident population . . . I've only seen it happen once but WOW - nothing left at the impact site but a clound of down :D

Jimbo
01-20-2004, 01:28 PM
This thread is really ironic, because we were sitting in a meeting not 20 minutes ago and saw a large falcon/hawk-like bird flyby outside the window. The he perched up in a tree for a little bit then he dive bombed a small bird. What a show. We watched as he consume the thing right there. It was such an awesome display of survival of the fittest and not one one person in the room said anything like, "Oh that's so gross." What a tremendous spectacle to view.

CAL
01-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Check out page 3 in the Herald. Bald eagle chowin down on a goose in Boston of all places.

likwid
01-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Been feeding the coyotes and used to feed the hawks with leftovers from feeding the reptiles (freezerburned jumbo rats)

They used to LOVE the area.

FishermanTim
01-20-2004, 02:57 PM
I had the thrill of seeing a sea osprey p REAL close.
My brother and I were freshwater fishing down in Brewster a few years ago, and we had been catching way too many sunfish in what should have been a prime trout pond. We decided to do a little "culling" of the sunfish population by feeding them to the passing gulls. At one point we tossed one into the water a few feet from the boat and noticed that the gulls had all departed.
from far overhead you could hear the screech as the osprey dove from over the treetops to pick the fish off the water no more that ten feet from the boat. I turned to my brother and say "You don't get to see THAT in the city, do you?"
I love nature at work.

Goose
01-20-2004, 04:04 PM
One of the awsome things that come with bowhunting is getting the chance to get closer to moter nature, literally!
One important thing in being successful is keeping your movement to a minimum. I've had a birds land on me more then once. I had a birds land on my bow then my shoulder then to the bill on my hat. Hawks and owls are harder to get closer too but I've seen them not away,,, and turkey....some day I'm gonna kill those little bass-tids.