View Full Version : FISHING LINE?????

NOLUCK
05-25-2001, 03:28 PM
need to re-string some reels any one have any info on spider wire salt water infusion or any recomends on a good 15-20# test line will be doing mostly open beach fishing.

thanks no luck

Patrick
05-25-2001, 05:41 PM
I don't like the Spiderwire brand. I tried the fusion and it was an awful experience.

For monofilament line, most guys go with Berkley Big Game. It's great line.

If you decide you want to go with a braided type line, go with Fireline. I love the stuff. The two I have liked so far is the 20/8 lb test and the 14/6 lb test for my fluking rod. The stuff is great and it works on a lot of reels.

RickBomba
05-25-2001, 11:29 PM
I love the fireline, too. I use the 14/6 on all of my freshwater rods (make sure you use 20' mono backing!!!). I also use it for schoolie fishing; I haven't lost a lure with it yet (in 3 years).
The only downside is the fact that you can't bite through it. Knot strength is out of this world , too.

Jaiem
05-25-2001, 11:59 PM
I've heard good things about Power Pro.

Patrick
05-26-2001, 12:07 AM
I have heard good things about Powerpro as well. I'm quite interested in trying it but none of my reels handle super braids well.

KevinM
05-26-2001, 09:32 AM
I like Fireline. I string all my reels with it. It has absolutely no stretch so you feel every tap, wiggle and bounce on the bottom. It will tangle while popping but flipping the bail over by hand seems to solve that problem. I don't use a conventional so I can't speak to it's use on that type of reel but for a spinning reel, it's great stuff.

Slipknot
05-26-2001, 10:28 AM
Fins. try it

LINESIDES
05-27-2001, 09:20 AM
Folk's you want "ANDE.......

gramps
05-27-2001, 11:08 AM
andes or big game supreme or regular.altho im using that 24lb test on a mitchell 300 now for a goof but just one reel tho.......

Mike P
05-27-2001, 01:48 PM
I heard good things about Power Pro, too. But after trying two separate spools of the stuff, I think they should rename it "Power Blows" :)

Best braids---pure braids anyway--that I've found are Cortland Spectron and Whiplash.

For spinning reels, Fireline is much better than Spiderwire Fusion.

Whatever you do, with any of these hi-tech lines, don't overfill your spool. They also are not a magic bullet, they are great for certain applications, deep jigging for one example, but mono still has its place.

Jaiem
05-27-2001, 10:10 PM
Mike - What happened with your PP to make you not like it?

Mike P
05-28-2001, 11:32 AM
The first spool, I had several unexplicable break offs when casting. No nicks, no abrasion, just snap right when I released the line. I remember people saying this was a common problem on the early versions of PP, so I figured, maybe the stiff I got was older stock. I spooled up with a new spool, put it on a 706. I used it for the first time Saturday out at Moriches. I got a couple of big tangles throwing a 3 oz bucktail with a pork trailer. I can imagine what it would have been like throwing Bombers. I swapped the spool for one of 30# Fireline and had no further problems. I imagine PP might do better on a long-cast style spool, but I like my old grinders and if it doesn't work on a 706, it's likely to do worse on a 704. I don't have enough spare VS spools to try it on that, but I don't see it doing any better on that than on a 706. Same type roller, same size spool. The VS does wind the line on in a V-pattern rather than flat like the 706.

Patrick
05-28-2001, 12:35 PM
Mike,

You like the 30lb fireline? It felt pretty stiff to me. Does it soften up after time?

Mike P
05-28-2001, 12:45 PM
Yes, and yes :-)

Got Stripers
05-28-2001, 02:42 PM
I've been using 30/6 Spiderwire braid since it came out. In fact I've probably got a couple 6500's with 4-5 year old spiderwire on them. I tried the 30# fireline and it's like rope compared to the spiderwire; plus I'm giving up reel capacity and more importantly casting distance.

I use it on the Shimano Stradics 4000 & Baitrunner 3500's and the Calcutta and Ambassadeur 6500's. I like it because it's limp, small diameter, stronger than 30# in my opinion and casts a country mile. I tie a loop or uni knot to a small barrel, 30# Seagar Flurocarbon leader, to my 5/0 Owner cutting point 90 degree jerkbait hook.

I've yet to loose a fish because of the braid, unless it's a large and fast fish; because if it takes you into the rocks it doesn't matter what brand your fishing. Braid and rocks don't mix well, that's why I like the mono leader.

[img="http://www.rgsiroisco.com/fisherman.gif"]
Tight lines.

Jaiem
05-28-2001, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info Mike. It seems some people swear by Fireline or PP, others swear at them.

Patrick
05-28-2001, 10:01 PM
I don't see how people can have trouble with Fireline. I've used them on both my Penn 6500 and my 4400 with very little problems. Today I fished for a few hours and I had one tangle and that's it.

GotStripers, maybe I just got a bad batch of Spiderwire Fusion. The stuff was balling up on itself right off the spool. I was thinking about giving it another try but keeping my fireline on another spool just incase. What would you recommend for a Penn 6500?

Fishpart
05-29-2001, 06:11 AM
Spiderwire is not to be confused with Spiderwire Fusion... I first started with SW Fusion, in fact I still have it on one reel. After meeting Saltheart I made the switch to Spectron and don't plan on going back... The fusion is a coated line with a monlike skin where the spiderwire is a true braid.