View Full Version : broke head off

missing link
01-17-2004, 06:11 PM
I'm so grumpy I was doing a simple cap and rotor change on link jr's car when the dam#% screw head broke off and snapped right flush with disturbtor housing:af: :af: :af: :af: can't get a grip on any piece ,I'm gonna try to drill it out or I might just screw in one side and tie wrap the other.
Probally off to junk yard for a complete dist. just for a broken screw head I even soaked it with BLASTER. Tomorrow change plugs also :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: later LINK:mad: :mad: :rocketem: :rocketem: :rocketem: :eyes:

Squid kids Dad
01-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Link..Maybe you can break the dist. cap around the screw until you can get a good grip on it

Squid kids Dad
01-17-2004, 07:40 PM
oops sorry Link..Just noticed you said it broke flush with the housing...that sux..:af:

Karl F
01-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Drill and EZ out, or drill and tap a possibility?
Just a thought....

missing link
01-17-2004, 07:52 PM
thinking about smallest e-z out as possible...... or drill out the hole and put an oversized screw to hold it.

LINK:af: :af: :af: :af:

BigFish
01-17-2004, 08:53 PM
As Brett Favre would say...."I would have been more careful...."!:laugha: Darn...sorry, there I go again laughing in the Grumpy forum:af: :af: :af: Better???? Good luck with that ML!:af:

Backbeach Jake
01-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Get a left handed drill bit . They sell them at auto stores. Sears has a kit based on this same principle. Used your reversible drill on reverse.Drill slow and add a drop or two of oil. Once the drill catches 9 times out of 10 the screw or bolt will back right out. If that doesn't work use a regular drill the root size of the bolt or screw. Root being the size less the threads. Chase the threads with a thread chaser or tap and you're done. I break a lot of bolts. The hardest part is not to panic and rush. The more careful you are the quicker you're done. Good luck.

missing link
01-18-2004, 09:35 AM
well the screw is very small and the dist.housing is made of that brittle cast stuff, I might drill a size bigger hole fill with JB weld screw the screw in let set once it is all set up it should hold the cap tight and make it's own threads? I hope , if that dosen't work I'll tie wrap it tight and keep fingers crossed:smash: :mad: :af:

missing link
01-18-2004, 10:37 AM
I fixed it thanks to tie wraps and good old spicy teriaki beans and steak last night ,the gas kept me warm:af: :af: :af: outside in the snow

Raven
01-19-2004, 07:10 AM
that the wind was blowing in a circular pattern :cool: