View Full Version : If anyone hooks a large with

Got Stripers
05-26-2001, 05:22 PM
150 yards of 30/6 spiderwire and a 5/0 circle hook hanging from it's jaw, let me know how big she was. I could not believe how fast this fish spooled me today. I had a live mackeral working in a rod holder, with a Shimano 3500 and 7 foot Lami spinning at the back of the boat. I was up front working my plastic's with the trolling motor on constant and saw the rod double over in the back. By the time I reeled in my jerkbait and got to the back of the boat the fish had me into the mono backing...NOT GOOD.

I tightened up slowly and snap gone. I was bummed, but did manage a nice fat keeper about 20 minutes later, working that same ledge. Landed 20+ fat schoolies and a couple that would have keep. There where mackeral everywhere off Cohasset today and I could have loaded the boat, but I need to get a new freezer set up before doing that.

Wish you had taken me up on my offer today John, you would have had that rod out of the holder a lot quicker...lol. I think next weekend things will bust loose up here, because there is bait everywhere.

Almost forgot, fished just outside Cohasset harbor at slack low this morning and caught 2 keeper cod in 10 foot of water on a hand poured jerkbait. I've never caugth cod in that close before and certainly not on a jerkbait in 10 foot of water. I would take that as good news for the future of Cod fishing.

Hope everyone gets out this weekend.
[img="http://www.rgsiroisco.com/fisherman.gif"]

andrew
05-26-2001, 06:35 PM
Good to hear that you caught some fish today outside cohasset. I went out and got nothign, but caught a couple of schoolies inside the harbor. I didnt go out to far near minots though, becasue my friend and i arent too experienced with his boat, so if you could give me some spots that i could try out later on this weekend out near minots, or outside cohasset harbor that would be great.....thanks......

Got Stripers
05-27-2001, 08:04 AM
Pick a ledge and fish it. Fish tight to the rocks, especially in spots with heavy wash, with plastics and you will catch fish. Troll a live mackeral or drift an eel around these same ledges and the bigger fish will come play.

If that ledge doesn't produce, move to another one. If those didn't produce, what depth water is around them? If they are shallower, then move to some with deeper water. It's a matter of elimination and when you hit fish, remember where, on what, what tide, what presentation and then duplicate it.

Tight Lines.
[img="http://www.rgsiroisco.com/fisherman.gif"]

JohnR
05-27-2001, 08:12 AM
WOW - nice try, er too bad about that fish GS. Too early to be a tuna but what about a monster blue or a bionic seal :P ? There was a 40 inch 20 something blue weighed in yesterday near my house. that could spool you like that too with the advantage that it had. Wish I could have gone but I spent all day yesterday getting out of jail from Friday night :P :'( ;D

Did a little scouting with clammer on Friday night in the bay waters near my house... Pretty cool but I think he would drool and stamp "rebock" on his tounge if he saw those Cohassett Ledges. They've got those too at Newport but...

Canalratt1
05-27-2001, 10:51 AM
So thats where the macs are. I fished the West end of the Canal with my buddy in his boat Saturday morning with herring. We got a dozen small keepers the largest going 18 lbs. one blue and lots of misses. Went through the Canal saw lots of people fishing and hit the East end for macs Nada only got one 10 miles out! Cod fishing is still great especially on Stellwagon, my friend got 300 lbs. last weekend.