View Full Version : Painting Plugs

Backbeach Jake
01-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Anyone care to give painting lessons? My plugs all crack and/or peel. I'll teach ya how to paint a car:rolleyes:

missing link
01-19-2004, 07:58 PM
good idea!

Nebe
01-19-2004, 08:04 PM
use createx... no cracking, and it looks sweet :kewl:

Raven
01-19-2004, 08:16 PM
do you buy that? might be worthwhile information.
domed heapo?

Nebe
01-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Any craft srore or art supply place. I get mine from Micheal's Crafts in Warwick

Bill L
01-19-2004, 08:27 PM
What are the options if you don't have an airbrush? Does createx come in spray cans,or is it strictly an airbrush application? I think I read somewhere that somebody uses Testor's model paint that comes in spray cans

PNG
01-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Createx- A.C. Moore. watch the flyers in the paper for 40% off one item coupon then go through the line 10 times:D
Only 1 item discounted per receipt.

Chris

MAC
01-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Hey Jake, I'll make a deal with ya,.......I'll paint your plugs you paint my truck:D

Backbeach Jake
01-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Newelly, your plug paint is almost equal to a truck paint job! What I'm looking is from wood to water painting instructions. I've seen the Creatix in AC moores and Michaels ...they offer some really nice color. I've been using pilfered car paint. It just don't do the trick in water. Amazingly it lasts only about a day or two!! I've had some really satisfying paint jobs literally explode off needles:(

UserRemoved1
01-19-2004, 09:34 PM
need to seal and prime, then paint, then clearcoat. can't just use paint.....

Backbeach Jake
01-19-2004, 09:41 PM
did all that but my way. Used the Minwax sealer. used car flexible primer. used cromabase color. used envirotex-lite. dunk,dunk boom! Hi Salty, the guys at Finishmaster say hi too!

capesams
01-19-2004, 09:43 PM
oop's

UserRemoved1
01-19-2004, 09:43 PM
rut ro u found me :D

capesams
01-19-2004, 09:45 PM
mom' the word;) ahhh! get a chance ta get a price on them eye's.

UserRemoved1
01-19-2004, 09:47 PM
no hang on i go grab the book.

Jigman
01-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Couple things that might be causing these problems. Are you mixing different types of paints/primers (i.e., lacqour, acrylic)? Are you giving the paint time to dry/cure before the envirotex? Most need at least 24 hours before you clear coat. Also check on the paint label about recoat times. Most are something like, within 20 min, or after 24 hours. If you do it between these times, you'll get cracking. If you are using spray cans, the Rustoleum works quite well.

Jigman

Backbeach Jake
01-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Jigman! Where are you in Kentucky? I grew up in Louisa, on the Big Sandy. I painted the lures the same as I would a car with disasterous results. What sealer what primer what color and what clear will get me through the summer without a tear festival?

Jigman
01-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Ahhh, yes, lovely Louisa and the Big Sandy area. Nice places around there. Have some friends down that end of the state. Some good Hybrid fishing in the Ohio. I'm in Lexington.

Your Min Wax should work fine as a sealer. You could also use a mix of boiled linseed oil (60%) and mineral spirits (40%). Dip the plug for 30 seconds, let drip, then wipe off the excess. Read the label on the linseed to make sure you dispose of the rags appropriately. The plug will likely have to dry for a couple of days before primer/paint.

For primer, I've been using the bin primer/sealer. Paints, just make sure they are compatable. That may be your problem. Different paints do not always get along well together. If you are going the spray can route, try the Rustoleum paints. Recoat, or add other colors as suggested on the label. Paints have solvents in them. If you recoat while they are curing, you'll get bubbling/cracking. Let them dry after paint for at least 24 hours before the clear coat. The envirotex has worked well for others. Have not tried it myself.

Jigman

blackeye
01-20-2004, 07:33 PM
I'm a big fan of the rustoleum paints-I have been using the aluminum paint for a few weeks and love the stuff-if you fog it lightly over a darker color it will add a nice sparkle to it also.
make sure you wipe the plug between steps-after you weight it and sand down the putty-wipe it with denatured alcohol, after you prime (I like bin primer) and sand it-wipe it again-and after the scuff coat, if you use one
chris

Backbeach Jake
01-20-2004, 07:49 PM
I think the BIN may be my change. Been using flexible auto primer, like for rubber bumpers. It stays on the wood but the color and envirotex crack and peel. Must think like a wood painter...leave the cars at work. Thanks everyone.

Tagger
01-20-2004, 08:50 PM
sorry not a big fan of envirotex..best looking of any epoxy but not as durable as systems three if durability is what your looking for ..Try for yourself..Systems 3 marine applications ....envirotex interior use only ...others (sandsissys) like envirotex ,,Not my rock bashing buddys...I'm still searching for the perfect easy finish ..:smash:

TheRattBoy
01-20-2004, 09:08 PM
"Sandsissys" :D :D

BassAssasin
01-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Backbeach Jake
Anyone care to give painting lessons? My plugs all crack and/or peel. I'll teach ya how to paint a car:rolleyes:

What kind of wood are you using? Is the cracking/peeling the result of the wood expanding ? I have had this happen with pine that I didn't seal. It is noticable after about 5 minutes in the water.
Another consideration might be scuffing your primer coat. I use an oil base primer that dries very smooth/glossy. I spray water base colors over that, for what I use it is best to scuff the primer with a very fine grit sandpaper prior to laying down colors. There is no compatability issue with the oil base primer and water base top coats. If the primer is completely dry you are spraying on a neutral substrate.

l.i.fish.in.vt
01-20-2004, 10:53 PM
i use exterior oil based enamels,sprayed with an airbrush. i dip the blank in zar sander sealer, let dry for 10 minutes or so than wipe dry, with some woods like maple i do a second dip after the first dries for a day. than spray with oil primer, when that is dry 3 coats of enamel. i overcoat with minwax poly.haven't had any trouble yet.

ThrowingTimber
01-20-2004, 11:02 PM
I'll slam the crap outta a plug on rocks during a night of fishing. :D :happy: :laughs: Maybe even a fish or two;)

blackeye
01-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by ThrowingTimber
I'll slam the crap outta a plug on rocks during a night of fishing. :D :happy: :laughs: Maybe even a fish or two;)
I've seen it in person-it's not a pretty sight. He's like the Charlie Brown of surf fishing, if there's a rock around, he'll find it:p