View Full Version : Problems with Penn 704Z

LinesidesontheFly
01-20-2004, 06:15 PM
I as well as many of you wish I was fishing Stripers right now. I decided to tare apart a couple of surf reels as therapy to the cold weather.
The first reel I worked on was a Shimano Baitrunner 6500. I was impressed how each screw had lithium grease on them. Likely done by the manufacturer. I found an on-line tutorial for Shimano reel maintenance. Followed it closely and had no problems at all. If you own one of these reels and do your own maintenance I suggest you use a tutorial like this. P.M. me and I will get you to the site if you wish.
The second reel was a brand new Penn 704Z. I had only used it a couple of times and rinsed it after each use.
The first logical step was to remove the bail mechanism. The first screw came out just fine. The second screw I attempted to remove snapped in two. No big problem. I will drill out the remaining screw from the reel housing, order another and replace it. I might even make replacement screws at work. Likely from Titanium or Stainless.
My complaint is this. The remaining screws I removed had no anti-sieze lube on them. Dry as a bone. Furthermore the screw that broke was made from inferior metal that was later coated to appear as it was made from Stainless Steel. Are there any companies that make quality aftermarket reel parts?
So I get thinking a bit more and come to another conclusion. If your lower unit on your boat has a sacrificial anode on it why can't your reel have one also? Makes pretty good sense to me.