View Full Version : New Striper book.

piemma
01-21-2004, 09:44 AM
I just finished a new book that just came out called On the Run. Story of a guy who spent 3 months following the migration starting in Maine and ending in No. Carolina.

I would recommend the book as there are a few chapters that are interesting. Chapter on Al McRenyolds is actually sad. Caught the current world record Bass and lives out of the back seat of his car. Story about Nauset and Tony Stetsko and a great story about Quoony and John Haberik in October. Pick it up. I bought it at Amazon.com but I would think it's available at any book store, Borders, Barnes & Noble etc.:D

Rappin Mikey
01-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Loved it. When did that book come out? I thought it had been around for a while. The guy who wrote it also writes for field and stream. Actually, one of his chapters on skiishing was taken verbatim from Field and Stream or vice versa. Anyway, what a great book. I'll probably read it again early April to help get psyched up for the Spring run around here.

piemma
01-21-2004, 10:59 AM
The book came out in late November. Dave does write for F&S, Outdoor Life and Saltwater Sportsman. he is a true Striper fanatic

tlapinski
01-21-2004, 12:40 PM
the book was good for what it is, a winter read. not for new info, but for the story. i scored an unopened editor's copy to go with my hardcover copy! :)

Nebe
01-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Yah I just finished reading it.... made me want to blow town and follow the fish.......Wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was a good story.

Just read Jerry Sylvester's book... what a maddening riddle trying to figure out what rocky cove or what bay that's 500 feet wide with a bar that's 200 ft off the shore... :smash: Piemma I'm sure you have this one right? good read

scarecrow
01-21-2004, 01:29 PM
thats one hell of a book!

piemma
01-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Eben;
Deep Hole?

Nebe
01-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Piemma who knows:smash:
A few of my friends fished with him when they were little, so I have an idea where he was talking about...
Rumor has it he died of a heart attack on the beaches of charlestown while fighting a 50#er... :confused: If its true, what a way to go

rwilhelm
01-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Eben I heard his heart attack was at Carpenter's Bar and he did have a fish on.

piemma
01-21-2004, 03:16 PM
OK, if you guys notice avatar is the logo from the Narragansett Saltwater Fishing Club. We have a clubhouse across the street from Deep Hole and Carpenters. jerry was a member of the club and the way I have heard the story from 2 of the elder members who were there was that Jerry had a big fish on at Deep Hole. He had a heart attack on the bar fighting the fish.:smash:

RIJIMMY
01-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Eben, whats the name of Jerry's book?
I just finished OTR too, I think Im going to spend next winter in North Carolina, at least a field trip....

Nebe
01-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah Piemma I know the club... Sounds like a great bunch of guys who are members, and the location of the clubhouse is to die for! I'm a member of the narragansett pier club and guess where we have our meetings???? West Marine....:smash: talk about slumming it.

Still.... what a way to go... I dont know what it is about jerry, but somehow I idolize him. Often I'll wonder what he would think about how we fish today and if he would aprove or disaprove of how we are managing our fisheries..
Then I think about how huge the bass were then and how plentiful it was in his day and I cant help but feel shafted by all the guys who over fished the stocks back in the 80's..... Will we ever experience fishing like it was in the 40's and 50's?? I'm leaning to say no because of the lacking of the bait fish that are missing these days like an abundance of adult menhaden...
I guess time will tell and if I'm lucky I'll slip away quietly with a big bass on the end of my line too:D

RIJimmy the book is called 'Saltwater fishing is easy' jerry Sylvester

beachwalker
01-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Like the chapter up in Maine.

Really well done.

All of the book was fun. Kinda a Skippy's view of the Fall Run.

:D

'ol pajamas
01-21-2004, 04:12 PM
I still use the casting egg.

hooked
01-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Anyone want to loan out a copy of Jerry Sylvester's book for a week or two?

goosefish
01-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Hooked--I've got a copy you can borrow. Take it for the rest of the winter if you want to.

Nebe
01-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Check your local library

hooked
01-21-2004, 05:09 PM
:kewl:

I read every saltwater fishing book in the local library last winter. Both of them. I live too far from the coast.

Crafty Angler
01-21-2004, 08:22 PM
The name of Jerry Silvester's book is "Saltwater Fishing Is Easy" - it's a pretty good winter read.

I'm about halfway thru OTR, borrowed DZ's copy and I'm finding it pretty enjoyable, sort of like Easy Rider with bass instead of bikes.

Jonny Bolt
01-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Could you tell me if he stops in New Hampshire at all on his trek???

rizzo
01-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Theres a chapter devoted to NH along with all of the other major stops.

Jonny Bolt
01-22-2004, 01:04 AM
Cool. I gotta check it out then. I wonder if he fished Bass Cove in North Hampton, Plaice Cove, or my "B#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&" in the marsh :)