View Full Version : kayaks?

Rappin Mikey
01-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Who else here does any fishing via Kayak? I usually have good success trolling bass assassins deep and slow during the day. But I have been limiting myself to just taking the kayak out during the day (surfcasting at night). I am planning on trying to drift eels from the kayak at night along the outer beaches a lot this year. I am just wondering if any one else has fished this method at night before and maybe could give me some tips.

hooked
01-22-2004, 05:30 PM
I wrecked a knee in mid-April last year and couldn't walk for a couple months so I was in the same boat as you (bad pun intended).

I bought a kayak in July since rock hopping and walking the beach were out of the question. Since I was always alone, I used it mainly during the day but towards the end of the season I grew a pair and started launching well before dawn.

I trolled rigged eels but did better with a tube-n-worm. I did have some luck casting live eels into the rocks and working them back out but I never tried drifting.

What kind of kayak do you have? Got it rigged for fishing?

Nebe
01-22-2004, 06:08 PM
I have a kayak and plan to use it more next season... I've never had the cahones to go out at night, but I've me some guys in newport who do it all the time. For me, I think I'll use it more in July/August when the fishing slows down a bit...
You know, you can rig a fishfinder on a kayak, and to me, a kayak and a fishfinder could be a deadly combination. But then agian, fishing at night and kayaks can be a deadly combination as well, especially if you are alone.

Thom
01-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Never taken the yak out in the dark. I do use a canoe to acess a few spots have used that a night and the early morn. Biggest over the gunnels is 38 inches for a striper and right around 30 inches for the a Blue. Didn't get to measure the Blue it fell off just as a lifted into the canoe got real interesting real fast for a min. or so. Now use the boga grip whenever I can. ThomT

Rappin Mikey
01-22-2004, 11:41 PM
The kayak I use is a sit on top Ocean kayak. It's not actually mine (my girlfriend's ex-roomates). I used it productively last year, and have been given exclusive rights to it this year. I stick my sand spike through the bailing hole to anchor my rod, and troll. There's nothing like a sleigh ride. After reading up on skiishing, I thought kayakfishing at night would be the safer alternative .:kewl:

scarecrow
01-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Ever think about kayak fishing in the river???????

Saw a couple guys in chicopee last year and they were nailing them.

Brad S
01-25-2004, 01:15 AM
Hi guys, this is my first time posting on this web site, it looks like a good one.

I fish almost exclusively from a kayak here in R.I., and usually at night trolling tube and worm. this will be my third season doing it so I still have a lot to learn but last year was my best ever for striped bass and bluefish.

I usually fish by myself as I haven't met many people here that fish from 'yaks, but I fish mostly in Narragansett Bay so there's no danger from surf etc, I use a runing light at night for visibility, I use a S.O.T. yak so it's very quick and easy to remount it in case of a spill and I dress for the water temps to avoid hypothermia etc. Haven't run into any real problems yet.

Maybe I'm being foolish yakfishin' at night by myself but if I had to wait for someone else to find the time etc before I could go fishing I wouldn't get to fish anywhere near as much as I'd like and sometimes it's just nice to have the quiet and solitude, just you and nature. It's always said that when SCUBA diving you should never dive alone, yet I was an avid SCUBA diver and spear fisherman for close to 15 years, usually went by myself but used proper safety precautions and I'm still alive and kickin'.

If anybody wants to get together and do some 'yakfishing this season let me know, I think it's a great way to fish. You can troll, drift, cast from the yak or paddle to a spot and wade, and you can fish right through shallow or rocky waters that power boaters can only dream of fishing.

Hooked, I have a Tarpon 120 angler (3 rod holders: 2 flush behind seat and 1 Scotty up front) I put a fish finder in it (thru the hull) but am still working the bugs out and am seriously considering putting a trolling motor in it this season for the longer paddles especially when I have to fight a strong current.

Thom
01-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Scarecrow/Mikey I have used my canoe on the Ct river towards the tailend of the run. I would drift from the So. Hadley Bridge to just below the launch. I did alot more paddling than fishing if you did hook up with a big one it could turn into a very paddle and it could get a little dangerous as the river really quickens up as the get around the corner towards the Willamasnt Bridge. The Chicopee might be a better spot but you will have to watch out for the boats. THomT