View Full Version : Help, this is a real drag

Got Stripers
01-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Ok all you IT guys help me out, suddenly anything I do with internet explorer is dragging to the point, I have to type posts in word (no lag there) and paste them into a post window. The previous sentence might take over a minute just to show up and god forbid I have to edit it. Scrolling up and down with my mouse wheel also has a lag to it and it takes forever to catch up. Clicking a link is also slow to respond. I followed some of John’s instructions and even after uploading all current dat files, McAfee twice now has come up clean on any virus scan. This problem appears to be isolated to what I need to do with IE and not any other programs.

If I go into an excel spreadsheet, the scroll feature happens real time and quickly, same is true in word, the letters and words appear as quickly as I can type them. Typing emails in outlook also is quick, without any appreciable lag. I’ve not downloaded anything lately, or just before this happened, other than the usual web browsing and stuff. No new programs anyway. I’ve reset my web settings, no change. I’ve closed everthing up and running to maximize memory, still no change. I’ve got over 3 GB’s of hard drive on my small 6 GB drive, so I don’t think it’s that.

It seems to me this happened to me once before or something similar, but I can’t recall whether it was a settings thing or not. I’ve only had one worm to my knowledge and it was well over a year ago and can’t recall if this was the result. I’m likely going to scrap this laptop when the new job starts, as it will be coming with one, but this will drive me nuts until then. Any suggestions, I’m tired of having to type posts in word, as it’s the only way to do it quickly, this is a real drag.

?

CustomMarineProducts
01-22-2004, 08:35 PM
How bout running scan disk and disc defragmenter?

Got Stripers
01-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Testing and well the new browser isn't lagging like IE, so I'm hopefull it's an IE problem. Yes I had run defrag and scan disk, this Mozilla browser appears to be working fine.

Raven
01-23-2004, 08:22 AM
that microsoft is being hacked so much theres no one maintaining the browser server lol:eek:

Got Stripers
01-23-2004, 08:31 PM
So far so good, but I miss my Logitech web wheel functions:(, can't seem to use them in this browser.

leptar
01-24-2004, 08:45 AM
In Internet Explorer did you go to the internet options and reset the defaults in the advanced tab?

Try finding a FAQ online about uninstalling IE completely. Maybe it's a bad registry setting. I would recommend looking over the Microsoft website FAQ's first.

Caffeine fisherman
01-24-2004, 10:58 PM
Maybee your temporary internet file space is full.
try
tools, then internet options, then delete files.

You can allso increase the file space by going into
tools, then internet options, then settings.

Good luck.