View Full Version : First plugs

Seahoss
01-23-2004, 05:09 PM
With all the stuff I have learned from this board, here are my first ever plugs. Not happy with the way the epoxy came out. Think I put it on to thick, even for the spinner. Any ideas on how to improve them? I am using MAS epoxy with slow hardener. Should I try fast hardner? Maybe thin it with alcohol?:smash:

Surfster
01-23-2004, 05:20 PM
:eek5: First Plugs!?

Yea, sure....:uhuh:
Really nice stuff! Must be something in the drinking water in Mass. You guys kick my butt! :doh:

missing link
01-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Nice....hopefully i will be posting my '' first plug pics '' soon

good job - Jr Link

PNG
01-23-2004, 05:23 PM
:btu: First ones - WOW!

BassAssasin
01-23-2004, 05:39 PM
What exactly is wrong with the epoxy? I would not thin with alcohol, not sure how that would affect the crosslinking reaction. More than likely it would give a cloudy finish. IF the problem is that the cured product is still tacky you may have either inadequately mixed the resin and curing agent or the proportions of the two were not accurately measured. OR.................. if the mixed epoxy was too thick then you might try heating the two parts prior to mixing. Place the containers in warm water before you combine them that shuold reduce the viscosity so it is more workable. If you heat it TOO MUCH you will decrease the pot life. I never used the MAS epoxy but all epoxies are similar.

justplugit
01-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Very nice work,Seahoss!:claps:

bspice13
01-23-2004, 06:20 PM
:btu:

Seahoss
01-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys, but actually the picture looks alot better than the plugs. The epoxy is very bumpy. There aren't any air bubbles and it started out smooth. Can't figure it out, will give it another try later.

PNG
01-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Was the epoxy well mixed?

Correct ratio?

What was the work time of the epoxy?

The longer the better, just gotta turn the long set epoxy

Keep it up, nice work

Surfster
01-23-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Seahoss
Thanks guys, but actually the picture looks alot better than the plugs. The epoxy is very bumpy. There aren't any air bubbles and it started out smooth. Can't figure it out, will give it another try later.

Wet sanding the epoxy when your sure it's cured then top it with a very light coat. Good as new. Use 320grit wet/dry in the sink with cool water.

Jigman
01-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Let the fish knock the epoxy off for you, then repaint after next season :D

Stick with the long cure stuff. Usually a better finish. Check the stuff the other guys posted, some good info. One other thing, were the plugs held tight on the spinner, or did they sag a little. If the latter, that might also cause bumps.

Jigman

rob-s
01-24-2004, 10:14 AM
looks like a great start to me, keep at it :kewl:

Christian
01-25-2004, 11:37 AM
very nice.:)

rocketman
01-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Nice job