View Full Version : Do you like read heads?

tlapinski
01-24-2004, 10:05 AM
most lure manufacturers these days offer red head color schemes. either red/white or red/yellow. this seems to be one of the few constant color patterns through out the history of plugs. i very seldom see this pattern being use though. the last time i threw a red/white plug was back when i put most of my effort into freshwater fishing and i targeted smallmouths. i had a red/white jitterbug that was very good to me. so, what gives with this color? do you use it? http://www.gibbslures.com/penpop_rh.gif http://www.gibbslures.com/Product/polpop_rh.gif

goosefish
01-24-2004, 10:09 AM
T--I scored a thirty-four pounder in early June last year on a red-headed bomber. And your right the pattern is a classic plug pattern that is used more in sweet water fishing than salt. But still, I've done well with the bomber plug in this pattern, and will countinue to use it. I never leave home without a red head.

Nebe
01-24-2004, 10:16 AM
I've had good luck with them under a few different stituations..First light, foamy whitewater, and under a big spotlight shining down from a couple resteraunts that are on the water near my stomping grounds... I think the red head has to do with the "gill flash" thing discussed about in the red hook thread... Junk science? maybe... sometimes bass will eat anything you throw at them:confused:

tlapinski
01-24-2004, 10:34 AM
i was talking to a plugbuilder over in Tiverton one day about this. he had a big old nils master in red head white body in his plug bag. i brought up the fact that the only red/white plug i own is an original glass eyed giant pikie that hangs on my wall. i just would never buy that color combo. he mentioned that he read somewhere or was told by someone once that the reverse color, white head red body, will not work. i have solid white plugs and solid red plugs that produce. just something that i was thinking about this morning.

Strider
01-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Toby, that polaris worked for me that day at FPR with the kids.
Low light, overcast gray, a good SSW blow, white wash.... the fat girl was in close :D

Nebe
01-24-2004, 10:42 AM
I'm out the door right now to go to work but think about this... as MikeCC said red is the first color to vanish, so if your using a polaris with a yellow body and a red head, all the fish is going to see is the body.... Which IMO is a more natural fish shape than the polaris with the head standing out...
Red body and white head wont work because all the fish can see is the white head.... Agian, this is Mike CC's thoery......

who really knows but the bass:confused:

leptar
01-24-2004, 10:52 AM
:D

Yellow Redhead!
and
Solid Yellow!

:btu:

:smokin: Colors!!!

BigFish
01-24-2004, 11:16 AM
My girlfriend, Fishchick is a redhead....she is the best! However, to get back on the main subject, my favorite poppers are redheads. White w/red, yellow/w red...pencil poppers, polaris poppers, even some of the needlefish plugs I use slay fish! I love em'!

marky1
01-24-2004, 01:18 PM
I LOVE redheads...Jill St.John :happy:

RI Popper
01-24-2004, 01:31 PM
My hottest selling plug of all time is the blue/white body with the red head. And that's the one I've caught best with myself. It works great in the bay.

Joe
01-24-2004, 01:58 PM
I ordered a bunch of different Tattoo plugs with that scheme....I think I'm the only one who did that....
:happy: :happy: :happy:

CAL
01-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Back in the 40's, 50's and 60's almost all the plugs my grandfather used were white/red head, and he caught countless 40-50#ers :D Don't see why they wouldn't work just as good today.

Thom
01-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Redhead redfins oh do the schoolies love them. ThomT

Fergie not to bad in my books

Bawana
01-24-2004, 03:04 PM
in order to read head do you have to shave it first or just kep parting it left to right

JHABS
01-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Toby, Have been doing those colors for years.. The hooks are in where do I mail them ...HAB'S

tlapinski
01-24-2004, 03:20 PM
i'll drop you a PM for my address. by the way, what's up with the site? couldn't access it this morning.

Bill L
01-24-2004, 03:40 PM
I LOVE redheds :D

blackeye
01-24-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm a fan of the red head and white/yellow body polaris-but in newport the fish like a white body blue head bettah-no idea why

Brad S
01-25-2004, 01:49 AM
The white body, red head color scheme has been very productive for me in the daytime with bass and bluefish. I plan to keep on using them.

Eben, when you use a plug with red on it just the color sort of gradually fades out as you get deeper down to about 30 feet where there are no more reds, the plug itself doesn't disapear. In shallow waters say down to 10 feet or so the color is still quite red, and I remember SCUBA diving on the reefs off Key west Florida where after about 60 feet or so ALL colors washed out and everything was just different shades of blue.

If I'm not mistaken, flourescent colors do not "wash out" at depth as do regular colors.;)

chris L
01-25-2004, 08:21 AM
I use red headed lures mostly for top water poppers and floating/subsurface lures .

I have a red bush at my house that is just spectaculer in the fall .
the question is " are they truely red heads " ?

wjm
01-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Chris,

To be sure, check out the roots....:D

chris L
01-25-2004, 08:49 AM
1 2 3 4 5 6

chris L
01-25-2004, 08:56 AM
toby its reading palms not heads . except on those small south pacific islands where they shrink your head and read your life history . psychiatrist's read heads also , at least mine did !

wjm
01-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Below the levis? Are we talking the fertile delta?

chris L
01-25-2004, 12:01 PM
7 8 9 10

Bill L
01-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Cant wait to swim the bottom two :happy:

Bill L
01-25-2004, 10:20 PM
The red-head plug has always been a favorite of mine, especially the topwater swimmers and poppers. Heres a few that have been around the block. Missing is the true red-head polaris that I lost shortly after getting my best shore fish on it this year :crying: . The redfin on top is an absolute killer on the schoolies in the wash, I've had it a long time,many, many fish :D

Slipknot
01-25-2004, 11:16 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12251

I love redhead plugs.
If I posted a picture of all the redhead plugs I own, you wouldn't believe it.

toonoc, those pikies look similar to some that I have :), I bet you CAN"T wait to swim them. Those colors work ;btu:

Iwannakeeper
01-26-2004, 12:33 PM
I just caught a 73# king salmon on that kenai river run game posted here last week on that yellow w/ red head popper in the tacklebox.

Go red head - woohoo :smash: :smash: :jump:

RickBomba
01-26-2004, 12:51 PM
I used to date one, she was a lot of trouble.
Very muy frisky, though:D
Later,
Rick

theSURF121
01-26-2004, 12:59 PM
A red head Bomber 17a wasn't in my bag one night. That was the difference between 40lb class fish and the skunk.

Mr. Sandman
01-26-2004, 01:05 PM
During the day: I suppose it looks like an injured bait bait fish but I think it is used because fisherman like the color combo.
From a science standpoint, red light travels the LEAST distance in seawater. (Blue and Green the furthest)

At night: it does not matter because bass can NOT see color...only black and white. (during the day they can see color)

I have caught fish on all colors...even flor orange which looks nothing like any fish in the sea. IMO fish key in more on profile, movement, its lightness or darkness and the eye of the lure more so then what color it is.

By offering a range of colors plug makers sell more plugs....becuse you "need" a range of colors right?

theSURF121
01-26-2004, 05:35 PM
According to some, the pecking order to lure attraction should be based on the following order;
1. running depth
2. speed
3. action
4. size
5. visual contrast
6. shape
7. color
8. pattern and finish detail
Granted, this order can be argued forever, but it places color 7th. It doesn't explain those nights where you're fishing with someone using the same lure but different colors. One would hook up a few times while the other gets skunked. When the lure is switched to the same color the hook ups would begin.Sometimes color can be the most important factor, at least to me . This is how I justify buying so many lures to feed my addiction. I'm babbling on here and Spring couldn't come soon enough!

tlapinski
01-26-2004, 08:54 PM
wouldn't 5 and 7 relate? i look at contrast to the background as well as contrast on the plug when choosing lure color. that is part of why i never turned to red heads in the surf. i see contrast from the back of a plug to the belly more natural than nose to tail.

i thought this would stir some good winter debate. when we are thorugh here, the boat vs. shore debate may resume! :D