View Full Version : Corian

Karl F
01-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Anybody try turning with it?

MAC
01-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Pasangas was turning it for reel seats. He said it was tough on the tools.

Slipknot
01-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Tony Stetzko Sr. has. I've seen some of it too :btu:
Sinks like a stone :D

I bet it is hard on the tools, if you don't have carbide, then your tool will dull fast.

I have plenty of scraps, maybe I should glue up some 1" thick stock sometime to play with.

capesams
01-24-2004, 09:58 PM
I gave tone sr. a bunch of corian years back...at the next salties meeting he handed me a few finished ones....I popped into my pocket an by the time I got to the door, my paints were down to my ankles.

PNG
01-24-2004, 10:11 PM
I did turn some and now I need to buy a new carbide bit - Corian broke it:eek5:

Part of it was my fault (learning curve)

Lessons learned ;

Take the edges of before turning. A regular bench grinder works surprisingly well

Go fast on the turn speed and slow on the tool pressure.

Sharp sharp sharp cutting tool

Wear a FULL FACE shield, those chips are like getting a load of bird shot!

I made some reel seat inserts came out pretty good. The stuff polishes up nice. I can put up a pic if you'd like

Anyone out there got Corian glue?

Chris

capesams
01-25-2004, 12:04 AM
just go to your local counter top shop, if they carry corian they'll have the glue.....corian can be very easy to cut an sand, it's not the tuff stuff they claim it to be, but be very carefull it will blow up in your face.....it's nothing but stone dust an glue.

PNG
01-25-2004, 09:04 AM
I have not tried to get the glue from a store but a dealer who hinself cant get it.

He said they protect the glue from the general public:confused:

he said use superglue - I did and it works. I also tried all different kinds of epoxy's and they all work. I am wondering if the corain glue is something special or is it of the shelf product with a different label?

MAC
01-25-2004, 09:14 AM
If you aren't "licensed" to install solid surface materials it can be very difficult to obtain. They don't want just anybody to and buy their products without them being installed by their people.

capesams
01-25-2004, 10:28 AM
just another way of saying we're going to shuve it up your:eek: ..the stuff scratches,,hot pan will burn it an turn it yellow..all kinds of good things will happen, they just want u to think their stuff is the best an no one else makes anything better,,,they better look around they've been left in the dust an just don't know it.

fishweewee
01-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Yes, I have to concur, Koreans are very tough. :p :bshake:

Slipknot
01-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Yes, there are reasons Corian tops must be manufactured by a certified worker, it has to do with warranty.They don't want just anybody without the correct knowledge of the product making tops and installing them because if it is not done correctly as in the seams and so forth, then issues can arise and Dupont doesn't need the aggrevation.
I use Surell,Fountainhead and HI-max. the stuff is wicked expensive. They did away with the packets of adhesive and now use a small double caulking tube with both hardner and the glue in separate tubes and you need a special gun, the glue gets mixed in a mixing tip about 5-8" long. One of the guns I have cost $150. I have some old expired glue packets if someone wants to experiment, I'll see if I can find them. But Chris is right, epoxy will work, basically that is what the product they sell is anyway along with a few other things to color it and thicken it.

If you turn some, it is true that it will save time and be safer to take a router to the corners first and round them over.

capesams
01-30-2004, 07:46 PM
here's a couple of tone's dad's stone plugshttp://65.96.115.91/dsc00484.jpg