View Full Version : Winter reel talk

goosefish
01-25-2004, 06:43 PM
So I spent some time today cleaning some reels. Fumed the lady out of the house--"I'm out of here. This place stinks. You should open a window." I was aware of the vapors from the brake cleaner and the kerosene, and soon found myself turning up Zeppelin III.
I just finished the penn 525 and would like to celebrate this reel, as it was my favorite reel last season. It is the mightest small reel that I have ever used: 275 yds. of 15Ib test, 6:1 gear ratio, great drag, and one huge main gear. I pounded on this reel and it held up just fine. Throws braid great, and its small side plates are very comfortable in the hands.
The reel is super fast and even with the factory installed magnents, I found myself putting in heavier oil in the spool bearings just to slow the spool down; and, then, halfway through the season I beefed up the magnents and got myself a real casting machine.
If anyone is thinking of a new conventional for the upcoming season this is a great reel. Mikecc can take over from here:)

goosefish
01-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Goosefish--that's a great reel. I also like the abus.

RIROCKHOUND
01-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Ahh... Goosefish,
I think the fumes have gone to your head.. I could smell em at my place :D
I like the Abu's, but still love my squidder.... stuck in the mud I guess, also have a 965; its a piece of crap in the surf, and is left for boat work, doesnt take abuse well.......

goosefish
01-26-2004, 06:15 PM
rockhound--you live down by the old horse well do ya? Or you over more back by terms?

RIROCKHOUND
01-28-2004, 11:05 AM
About 2 casts NW of monahans, big apt building...