View Full Version : Young of the year indx 2003

cheferson
01-28-2004, 11:55 AM
2003 Striped Bass Young-Of-Year Survey Shows Highly Successful Reproduction
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANNAPOLIS, MD (October 2, 2003) — Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Secretary C. Ronald Franks announced today that the 2003 striped bass (rockfish) juvenile index is 25.8, the fifth highest ever measured in the 50-year history of the survey. The long-term average is 11.9.
During this year’s survey, DNR biologists collected 3399 young-of-year (YOY) striped bass. The Upper Bay index was the highest documented since 1970. Reproduction in the Potomac and Choptank Rivers was more than double the historic average in these areas. Reproduction in the Nanticoke River was slightly above average.

Most anadromous fish, which are species that migrate from the ocean to fresh water to spawn, showed very poor reproduction during the drought conditions of 2002. This year, however, they benefited from the spring rains and mild temperatures. Yellow perch in the Upper Bay reproduced at near-record levels. White perch spawned highly successfully in all areas surveyed. American shad reproduction in the Potomac River and Upper Bay was high for the fourth consecutive year.

DNR biologists have monitored the reproductive success of striped bass in Maryland's portion of the Chesapeake Bay annually since 1954. Twenty-two survey sites are located in the four major spawning systems: the Choptank, Potomac, and Nanticoke Rivers and the Upper Bay. Biologists visit each site monthly from July through September, collecting fish samples with two sweeps of a 100-foot beach seine. The index is calculated as the average catch of YOY striped bass per sample.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted

JohnR
01-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Good news :)

GBOUTDOORS
01-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Good news? Thats GREAT news!!!!!!!! And by the way why arn't you at work John??????/

JohnR
01-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by GBOUTDOORS
Good news? Thats GREAT news!!!!!!!! And by the way why arn't you at work John??????/

Schoolze Closed :laughs:

GBOUTDOORS
01-28-2004, 02:41 PM
That figures you would get a job with snow days:D :D :D

RIROCKHOUND
01-28-2004, 02:42 PM
I wanna job with stripah days....:(
Schnow day scmowe day, I'm still here.... :af:

JohnR
01-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by GBOUTDOORS
That figures you would get a job with snow days:D :D :D

They like me there - been there less than two weeks and they've had 2 days off :)

GBOUTDOORS
01-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Ah guess I should not complain I do get striper/deer days:happy: :happy:

Bliz
01-28-2004, 02:55 PM
:uhuh:

rwilhelm
01-28-2004, 03:18 PM
That is encouraging, I was getting a little nervous because this Fall I did not catch a lot of smaller fish like I did in years past.

Crafty Angler
01-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Hey, John, they don't need an under-assistant night supervisor do they?

Geez, I could use a schedule like that - :hihi: