View Full Version : Top 5 Ditch DO's and DON'Ts

Vogie_spinner
06-02-2001, 09:15 AM
Looking for any comments to help in my quest for the almighty striper. Thanks

Slipknot
06-02-2001, 12:31 PM
If you're looking for Stripers in the ditch and you haven't fished there before then be prepared to lose alot of rigs, jigs and gear.

DO:
1. Be very cautious on the rocks, they are treacherous and slimy sometimes.
2. have a spare light at night
3. Use a heavy rod and reel setup, there is no stopping a big striper in the canal with a 4-5 knot current with wimpy gear.
4. try your best to revive released fish so they don't just float down with the current, I've seen it before :(
5. Ask questions politely if you are having a hard time , most people will be helpful some will just groan or give misleading info.
6. have fun

Don't:
1. leave your trash behind, you bring it in , you bring it out . it's that simple. It doesn't hurt to toss afew other things in the barrels also. I myself can't fish among trash so I usually clean up before I start fishing.
2. have high expectations, the ditch is a hard place to learn- it takes years and good info.
3. stick to just one method, if chunks aren't working then try jigs off the bottom, or plugs if there are rising fish.
4. don't just stick to one place , the fish move too. What may have been good yesterday may not be good today.
5. cast near boats going by, and watch out for the wakes
6. fish near seals, the seal will cause the fishing to slow down.
7. finally don't listen to me , I have yet to land a 20 pounder in the canal ;) maybe someone else can help you too

Saltheart
06-03-2001, 06:19 PM
DO:
1Take the time to pic a good spot to stand. A stable rock or gravel spot is important
2. Stay low , like on your butt , when you go down the rip rap if its steep.
3.Use heavy gear if possible. The current makes a big fish very difficult to land.
4.Bring a variety of stuff cause there could be herring or squid or mackeral or all three at any given time and eels work there too.
5.Fish deep with jigs. I think you do better overall and avoid blues if you bounce the bottom.

DON'T

1) Try to hurry on the rocks. Even guys whgo do good normally end up with bashed shins if they try to move too quickly on the rubble.
2)Stay in the same place doing the same thing too long without catching fish. There are a million little currents in the canal so move around a little if you aren't getting hits.
3.Wait till you have your first canal fish on before you think about how you will land it. Figure that out as part of the process of choosing your spot before you hook up.
4)Worry about losing your jig. The risk of losing the jig is the price you pay for more fish by fishing deep.
5) Enter a rotary without your seat belt on. The rotaries are brutal. Be very careful entering a rotary.

MikeF
06-04-2001, 05:42 AM
Do:
1. Get a tide chart and ask someone or figure out how to use it
2. Concentrate on early morning East tides (tide turns east between midnight and 6:00 AM)
3. Carry 2 outfits - one with 30# mono for plugging and one with Dacron or Spectra line for jigging
4. If there are fish breaking use surface swimmers or poppers - if not use jigs
5. Fish the water - look for things that disrupt current flow and create eddies

Do Not:
1. Litter
2. Expect to catch fish at noon time
3. Navigate the rip rap with reckless abandone.
4. Stand in water when big ships pass by - especially if they are going against the current
5. Attempt to break off hangups by walking up the steep banks

Have fun and be safe!!

Vogie_spinner
06-06-2001, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the good info. It will be put to use on my next trip down there. One quick question though. Is it better to fish the canal in the early am or late pm? It's difficult for me to get there in the early am but could make it more often late at night.

Saltheart
06-06-2001, 04:06 PM
at nite is fine too.

Vogie_spinner
06-06-2001, 05:42 PM
Can I get a tidal chart for the canal online somewhere?

Steve K
06-06-2001, 09:36 PM
Here is the best tide website that I have found: www.maineharbors.com