View Full Version : How thick is the ice?

fishsmith
02-02-2004, 12:37 PM
I saw alot cars cruising around on oldham pond in pembroke yesterday.

BigFish
02-02-2004, 01:06 PM
8 inches in Abington area....12 inches in Plymouth!:happy:

JohnB
02-02-2004, 01:48 PM
I've had a min. of 12" from Duxbury to Norton.

JB

Flaptail
02-02-2004, 02:15 PM
18 inches in the cove at Ashumet, 13 inches on Great Pond in Eastham ( fished both this weekend) Actually saw a truck drive out on Great Pond, first time ever I have seen that that far down cape. Best of all is someone drove over the ice in Phinney's Harbor to the Island outside and back! You can see the tire marks across the ice. The Ice flows at Rock Harbor were 3 to four feet thick and from Thumpertown Beach it looks like you are looking out at the Artic ice fields as Cape Cod Bay is F-R-O-Z-E-N!!!!:D

Goose
02-02-2004, 02:17 PM
14" to 16" in many places

Canalratt1
02-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Flap how you doing down there? Fished Wequaket twice and was slow both times.

Christian
02-02-2004, 05:50 PM
12 ish westwood

Got Stripers
02-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Too thick :(, as this picture of two of my guests overheating working on it as we had to bust it a foot at a time Sunday. After 2-1/2 hours of work we finally launched and busted ice (Lunds are great Ice breakers) to get to the open water, only to find the winter bass were somewhere else under the ice.http://www.ledgerunnerbaits.com/thames6.jpg

C-5 CC
02-02-2004, 10:12 PM
20-24" in The hills of NW CT
Brandon

Flaptail
02-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Canalrat, things actually have been slow the last two weeks.Got some nice trout but Sunday was w-i-c-k-e-d slow, cept for one 4 lb pickerel and two measly yellow Perch at Great Pond in Eastham. Going today after my visit to the Doc's office this morning. Probably be down in Brewster for the afternoon, although Hoxie in Sandwich is a possibility. I like to fish for trout through the ice the most and that is usually slow anyways.

fishaholic18
02-03-2004, 09:02 AM
G.S., now you are f%$#^&^% hard core. I need to fish with you.:D

Got Stripers
02-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by fishaholic18
G.S., now you are f%$#^&^% hard core. I need to fish with you.:D

I'm sick, but they say the first step to recover is to admit it:). You best be careful, you might get what you wish for. This might be something I can pass on, not sure if the doctor told me to avoid contact with others.

Drew
02-03-2004, 04:00 PM
....How come you don't see Bob in the picture with the Lund ice breaking crew?

ANSWER: He was in the truck warming his tootsies while the chain gang was whaling away at the ice with hand tools.

By the way, Bob- if you find a set of testicles scattered about the boat deck, hang onto them for me. I'm pretty sure I had a blow out while I was on sledge hammer duty Sunday.:eek:

Got Stripers
02-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Damn Drew sorry to hear that, I gave them to the dogs when I got home:). Hey you should be thanking me, you needed a workout, your getting a bit round in the middle there. Next time I'll have to bring a CD and crank up the tunes, we can call the exercise class, breaking ice (or in your case wind) with the oldies.

Goose
02-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Bob, you know I coulda brought a chain saw:D

FishermanTim
02-03-2004, 06:45 PM
You know it's been a bad trip when after a friend tells you about a spot they fish, I finally decide to try this spot, and NADA, ZIP ZILCH. I see this friend the next day, and he tells me "Oh, if I had known you were going to be there yesterday, I would have told you about the tournament they had the day before." (HUH?)
I should have realized that all those holes in the ice were not a good sign.

Anyway, I hope this weekend isn't a total washout.

JohnB
02-03-2004, 10:08 PM
If the Pond you went to was Winnicunnet, then I am suprised you did not do well. We participated in that derby with about 250 other people. I was shocked by the number of fish that were caught. Our best was a 4lb 7oz bass that took 4th place. We also caught two others over 4lbs. . The winner was a 6lb 4oz bass caught be an older gent. Our 15 traps caught at least a dozen and a half pickerel. Most of the pickerel were in the 2lb range. We fished about halfway across the pond directly in front of the river. Their was substantialy less fishermen out there compared to the roadside area of the pond. Some of the biggest fish did come from the roadside area but it was crowded.

JB

Thom
02-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Anywhere from 18 to 22 inches here in western mass