View Full Version : Baby Boom

Fly Rod
02-05-2004, 09:52 PM
According to the Northeast Science Center more haddock were born on Georges Bank last year then any time in the last four decades.:happy:
A research vessel caught on average nearly 30 times the usual number of juvenile haddock. If most survive natural threats and fishing nets to lay eggs haddock stocks could reach the population goal for the species in 2007 seven years ahead of a schedule that regulators had set.
Georges Bank haddock stocks reached their lowest recorded levels in 1991 but rebounded to become one of the most healthy groundfish species.

goosefish
02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Fly rod---that's some great news. I hear the yellowtail stocks are also on the mend. Sea scallops too:) Cod still low. Goosefish in southern New England aren't in great shape, squid is year to year, though the talk on the dock is good landings. The butterfish run isn't nearly what it use to be, but I can't really say because I'm not out there anymore. The yen might have made the butterfish safe for now, who knows?

Fly Rod
02-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Hopefully with stronger stocks of haddock the fishing pressure will be taken off of the yellow tail and cod. Matter of fact the Northeast Seafood Coalition designed a new set of rules just to do that which starts in May.

goosefish
02-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Sounds good to me. Let them work on what is healthy.
It seems to me that the fisherman who are still making good money are the ones with all the permits--fine twine, hard bottom, scallops etc., and these guys are always switching from one gear type to the next. Scallops in the summer, groundfish in the spring and fall, and squid in the winter. Also the boats that make even more money have both freezer space and wet space on board.
We also need to research further into fin-fish excluder devices, and new net types with these excluders in place. Haddock, cod, and flatfish all behave differently when they come into contact with the ground gear and the sweep. Some get herded, some don't, some swim high some stay low. I think different gear types, types that are more selective, might be the key to future management. But its going to take money.

RIROCKHOUND
02-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Goosefish,
As far as I remeber, haddock have been on the rise for a few years, same with yellowtail, hopefully they learned the lesson and manage these up and comers a bit more carefully...
Unfortunetly, no amount of managing will ever bring the nearshore Cod fishery in RI back to what it was in the 60's-70's....