View Full Version : Painting pointers

tackle trap
02-06-2004, 12:59 AM
I've been airbrushing for about a month now and it is the hardest part of plug building for me. I can get a nice three color pattern on the bodies (belly,sides,back) with no spatters or runs etc. When I try to put fine lines for mackerals or dots IT GETS UGLY. I can put fine lines on cardboard all day, the second i try on a pug the paint is not dark enough. So I try to put more on and end up with a realy fat line so I throw the plug across the room. Do you think my paint is wrong (water base from Michaels)? Any help would be great. I need a camera to show you what I mean
Thaks
:smash:

MAC
02-06-2004, 02:36 AM
I had the same thing happening. A member here suggested lowering your air pressure. Seemed to work, just have to go a little slower.

BassAssasin
02-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by tackle trap
I've been airbrushing for about a month now and it is the hardest part of plug building for me. I can get a nice three color pattern on the bodies (belly,sides,back) with no spatters or runs etc. When I try to put fine lines for mackerals or dots IT GETS UGLY. I can put fine lines on cardboard all day, the second i try on a pug the paint is not dark enough. So I try to put more on and end up with a realy fat line so I throw the plug across the room. Do you think my paint is wrong (water base from Michaels)? Any help would be great. I need a camera to show you what I mean
Thaks
:smash:

Sounds like you have the same temperment that I have :) I am no expert on airbrushing but air pressure is definately a consideration, but then so is too much paint. On my brush, Paasch VL you can preset the paint flow and then you just have to worry about controlling air pressure. Bassmaster and Eel Punt do good mack patterns maybe they will give some advice.

bassmaster
02-06-2004, 10:37 AM
its gonna take you some time to get it down.
but a good airbrush like an iwata the can do a fine hair line is in order if You have a steady hand.
on My mucks there a layered 8 color plug.
I blend the paint and some times i willl shoot a blue and then a green over the blue and the a blue over the green and then fogg in violet and another blue and some times purple hue
then shoot the back
I have done them with fine lines with no black back and with the black back and a dab of gold pearlex only on the back .
those all been ho's though
a steady hand
proper pressure
right consistancy of paint
and you will get there.
I have not been painting ,Im waiting for warmer weather
and then Im gonna make some art that will be awsome and then trash it on fish:laughs:

Backbeach Jake
02-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Iwata makes a fine spray gun or airbrush. My crew paints every Police cruiser in the state and we use Iwata. Their airbrushes are top notch. I don't have one for personal use yet, but soon. Absolute primo tools. I've found that paint viscosity, air temp , and even humidity can make a world of difference in finish quality. Color can even be affected , especially with pearls and metallics. Painting is an art and can take years to perfect.