View Full Version : mouse trap or cats/cat?

missing link
02-06-2004, 06:44 PM
My mother doesent want a cat ,but my dad does...
my mom hates mice dropping lol, and mice traps just dont work, have tryed them all,

And if you have a cat/cats do they scrach your furniture?

Thanks in advance
Jr Link

chris L
02-06-2004, 06:53 PM
not if you train them . Ive had cats most of my life , have 2 now and only a couple I had to train not to scratch the furniture . they are also good to get rid of moles if you let them outside . mine are strickly indoor cats but I have a neighbor with an outdoor cat .

missing link
02-06-2004, 06:55 PM
CL , mom wants to no how you stop the cats from scraching things?

goosefish
02-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Missing link--I've been trapping mice all winter and have gotten good at it. Cats are better at catching mice than we are, and they seem to really enjoy doing it.
I've been doing good buisness without a cat, though I'd love to get one.
Here's what I do. Spend some time blocking all mouse holes. Leave on mouse hole open. Put a trap right in front of this hole. Bait the trap with a combination of peanut butter and saltine crackers. Break the cracker up some--this combination has been good to me, with many kills. The mouse has trouble getting the cracker from the peanut butter, but the mouse want it, and so spends time trying to get the food. I don't use posion.

I'II tell you, that I'II lie awake at night, when the house is all silent, and I'II be listening for the sound of the trap going off:)

You've got to find out how the mice are getting in. Then block them, all but one. This has been the key for me. And the bait combo.-------Good luck.

missing link
02-06-2004, 07:02 PM
they lick the PB off the trap!!!:smash:

chris L
02-06-2004, 07:07 PM
that is just too cruel !
junior link its all about who is in charge . Like most animals you show them you are the Alpha cat ( in charge ) in the house . A cat is an independent animal and wants to be in charge of its own domain . you just need to let them know that scratching up the furniture is not a scratching post . it also helps to give them an alternative to scratch . its like the litter box once they learn they dont forget . Ive trained 4 ferrel ( wild ) cats to be loving house broken lap cats . get kittens they are a lot easier to train .

cats are great they clean and preen themselves all you do is feed them , pet them , love them and clean the liter box .

goosefish
02-06-2004, 07:08 PM
That why the cracker thing seems to work. I had the same problem.
I'm currently hunting an extraordinary mouse--it has duped me time and time again. You may have an above-average population. Way ahead of the bell curve so to speak.

But for me the traps worked, at first they didn't but then I started getting kills............................................. but his mouse, this Algernon has been hard.

missing link
02-06-2004, 07:11 PM
CL better to have 1 or 2 kittens?? i'm think 2?

chris L
02-06-2004, 07:11 PM
thats right then they make that fateful step and wham broke neck . mice love peanut butter .

Goose
02-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by missing link
CL , mom wants to no how you stop the cats from scraching things?

Trim their claws.

missing link
02-06-2004, 07:14 PM
what happens if you have an indoor cat and you get them declawed how do they kill mice?? and with out claws can they still go outside?

goosefish
02-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Missing link--I love cats. If and when you go to get one, do some research into it----------------not all cats are good catchers. Some are machines when it comes to killing, some aren't.

goosefish
02-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Cats need their claws. Try to train them as chris said.

missing link
02-06-2004, 07:16 PM
well.. anyone have a cat that is good at getting mice..? what kind is it?

chris L
02-06-2004, 07:19 PM
2 from the same litter is good but maybe one is the best route for now .

trimming the claws is only temporary . they will scratch something to sharpen them again . its one of the only defences they have so they keep them mighty sharp . Im not a fan of it but you could have the front claws removed . Ive got a cat on each leg as we chat . My simease wont let me trim hers . needle like teeth and claws . Ive got the scars !

goosefish
02-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Ask questions to sellers. Go to a farmer................................... But I'd look for a fit and sleek and agile female. If the cat looks agile and kind of secretive then chances are good that it's a hunter. If the cats parents look like this then chances are good that the kitten will be like its parents. Fat and lazy "house" cats don't make the best hunters, though they make fine pets.

Goose
02-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Forget the cat, poison kills the whole dam family... I did it at my house worked great.

chris L
02-06-2004, 07:23 PM
one thing about cats . mice are toys not food . Ive never had a cat eat a mouse ( that I remember ) they usually chase and swat ( paly ) with them until they are almost beat . then they bring them to their owner as if to say "hey dude look what I got for you . how about a treat ? "

macojoe
02-06-2004, 07:47 PM
I have a cat and had a few over the years. I taught my cats to not strach by two ways one was have a squrit gun and when you catch them let them have it!! They hate water!! The other way i did it was to fill a can with screws and when I catch them I shake the can like a mad mad biy do they run!! I had to switch from one to the other so they did not get use to one way.
I have a indoor cat now and he has no claws!

missing link
02-06-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm thinking on getting a cat from the local cat lady cheap and they love MICE it'S worth a try that little bit of scratching that you hear in the middle of the night fron that low life mouse eating your electric wire thinking he's
got a home 4 life no way baby the missing link is one step ahead of you later link

Nebe
02-06-2004, 11:28 PM
I am the cat man... I have 3 mouse chewing, mole digesting, bird chewing, killing machines..... My cats could kill a small dog.
Goosefish is right, a small sleek cat is a fast killler, but a fat tomcat is a heavy hitter... Now heres the funny thing... My gold ribbon meat hunter who brings home the bacon every evening... moles, chipmonks, etc... is declawed in the front. It amazes me that this 2wd cat can do it, but what he does is stun the animals and then bites them.. Usually crunching thier skulls to a pulp.

Missing link, if you do get a cat, dont declaw it. I adopted mine from the rescue league, and its an awful thing to do....

To train a cat not to claw furniture, keep a squirt gun on hand and have a scratchy thingy around... sprinkle catnip on the scratchy thingy and the cats will flock to it...
Cats are cool, very easy to maintain, and their cuddly:D:

Backbeach Jake
02-07-2004, 01:07 AM
We also adopted a feral cat family and they are killers! We have Momma and two kittens left and they do not give up on a mouse! If they hear it , they will kill it, rip it in half ,and puke it up. Cats are a trip! Mice are doomed, even if it takes days. As far as wrecking furniture, I'm open to suggestions

Raven
02-07-2004, 08:31 AM
I was at a friends house one day sitting on the couch talking with my hand up on the top and back edge of the couch. Well they had a nice but rambuncious Large kitten who thought my hand was an awesome thing to HUNT and Scratch. Its razor sharp claws got me several times before i got pissed. I kept forgetting between intervals and then would get scratched harder each time.

wait til i get my hands on that little bastage i thought.

Eventually i got the little bugger and taking a small piece of cheese off of the tray on the coffee table for guests i mashed the cheese into the teeth of the cat just to get sweet revenge.
I said : HERE HAVE A PIECE OF CHEESE YOU LITTLE F____

about ten minutes later: i had my hand back up where i had recieved several ambushes from the big kitten and this time when i was attacked his claws were retracted and all i felt was the paw
touch me. NO CLAWS. Soon afterwards the kitten who knew who was boss , was asleep in my lap purring away. :D

beachwalker
02-07-2004, 08:40 AM
traps don't smell like a pussy does :)

unless you don't clean em'.
while you're at it might as well make sure the pussy is clean :eek:

:)