View Full Version : fly repairs?

Anthony
06-05-2001, 04:02 PM
how would i go about repairing a fly that is unraveling? can i repair it? can i just put some glue on it or will that keep the fish away? is it unfixable? is it destine for the graveyard?

Anthony

Patrick
06-05-2001, 10:57 PM
Go to the drug store or supermarket and go to the nailpolish section. Get a product called "Hard as nails". A lot of guys use this stuff and I like it too even though I use the cheap generic brand. It's all the store had. If you can't get Hard As Nails, get another clear nail polish designed to strengthen your nails. If you don't have a fly vice, just hold the hook in your hand, lightly coat the area that needs to be held tight. Trust me, less is more. Just a little dab should do it. Then hang it up somewhere by the hook and let it dry for a little bit.

MikeF
06-06-2001, 06:25 AM
Anthony,
You might try coating the head of the fly with super glue. I have used Loctite for 4 or 5 years with excellent results. The superglue is very thin and pentrates very well. It winds up fusing threads and materials together. Flies last a long time when the superglue is used in place of head cement.
You might want to take up fly tying. You'll be able to create flies at a fraction of the cost of those which are commercially available. Besides its a lot more fun catching a fish on a fly that you tied yourself.

Saltheart
06-06-2001, 07:35 AM
Put just a little glue or nail polish on to make it tacky. Wrap the thread back on tight as possible (the tackiness will help) then , coat the whole head with glue. Let dry , trim any hairs or threads sticking out with an exacto knife or razor or sharp scissors.The glue won't keep the fish away once its dry.

Jaiem
06-06-2001, 08:52 AM
Do as mentioned above to keep it from unwinding more. But often the fish like a fly that's been beaten up! :)