View Full Version : Why so much $$ for this Cap'n Bill Popper?

Wormy
02-09-2004, 11:47 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3658783111&category=794&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

What makes this popper so much higher than the rest? Is it smaller than most @ 6"??

Wormy

Slipknot
02-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Maybe it's the color???
I would think they would go for 25-50 depending on condition, but that guy is nuts to pay over 220 :eek: The back hook looks rusty too. I think Flaptail still fishes some of his.

capesams
02-09-2004, 01:06 PM
2 things enter my mind,,,1 they don't have that one in their collection and 2 they got to dam much $$ to spend.....it's goiung to get so bad soon only the rich will beable to buy a vintage plug:af:

Wormy
02-09-2004, 01:17 PM
I have only been collecting plugs for approx 2 years now and I have noticed myself the increase in pricing, especially a select few folks on e-bay, that drive the prices so high it is unfrickin believable!

I did notice that this high priced Cap'n Bill has only 1 belly Hook instead of 2 like the ones I have. Maybe rare, I dont know. I have 2 in that color pattern so I know it is not all that scarce.

I live way down south and it is near impossible for me to find any old striper plugs down here, so ebay is my only source for plugs:(

In the beginning, I would ask for a few of you guys help in estimating pricing and what I should be expected to pay for a plug. You guys helped me out a bunch.

As you can tell, I lurk here 99% of ther time and always look forward to old plug pics!

Thanks guys,
Wormy

Wormy
02-09-2004, 01:21 PM
BTW, who is hildal? I wanna see this guys collection!!:smash:

capesams
02-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I know what you mean. it's dry as a pop corn f*** here too..there's so many collectors out there now with more every day the only thing that will be left is junk...on this site alone,, there must be aleast a doz. collectors that I know of....all of which can out pay me for something,,,all you can do is keep beeting the bush an hope you find something along the way.....good luck! ahh! got any minty atoms??:hee:

capesams
02-09-2004, 01:31 PM
that guy is big $$$,,he doesn't care what it costs him, he's got it to throw away.

Flaptail
02-09-2004, 02:31 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&! I still throw mine like that and the Herring pattern one too also the Red Squid worked really well at Middle Ground this year. It's a shame cause that plug ain't no whaere near that kinda money. It all started with the Poore's fifteen years ago at the Bourne Auctions in Hyannis. As far as I am concerned they blew the whole thing for us all by paying outrageous prices for stuff. I used to go to that auction and could by a three pack of Striper Pikies for fifteen bucks as high bid. Next year Ed and his kid come in and start bidding triple that with no one even near that # just to start! Guess thats why he has such a great collection but he blew the national budget on it and put it way out of reach for us little guys. I never trusted him and still don't. I stopped actively collecting just after that and only buy something when I see it at a yard sale or such. Ah, I think back to when I could walk into Biff's at the Sagamore bridge and pay what was on the box. $1.50 for Masterlures in the box etc.., those were the days.......:af:

Wormy
02-09-2004, 02:45 PM
:af:

H@ll I have not seen a Masterlure go for less than $50.00 in A LONG TIME! I definitley got into this plug collecting too late.
I dont even bother messing around with any mint stuff cause I just cant afford it.

All I look for is decent examples of a plug for my personnal collection and enjoy the fact that it has been used and caught some fish. Nice to imagine what that plug has seen or caught. "Old Warriors" as I have seen you guys mention.

I have a few mint items, in boxes, but I just got lucky when I found those....

I doubt I have anything that you professionals would even be interested in, but I sure have fun collecting em.

I guess I have leaned toward Goo Goo eyes since I have the most in my collection and I have found them a bit cheaper than most older plugs.

I love the Masterlures but as stated above..out of my pay scale:(

capesams
02-09-2004, 09:30 PM
wormy...got any pic's of ya coop's:D

Adam R
02-09-2004, 11:55 PM
$222 !! :eek: You've got to be kidding! That plug is more rare than the larger 3 hook version, but its a $50 plug tops. It ain't that rare! I've seen that guy bid stupid money on stuff before.

Hildal apparently got a bunch of money left to him, like millions. If he wants it, he'll buy it. Can't compete with people like that.

Wormy, anything you're looking for? I'm thinking about thinning the herd. How about a nice black Atom 40:smash: (Hi CS)

capesams
02-10-2004, 07:58 AM
as the knife goes deeper into his back. he sheads another tear.hoping that someday that certain someone will come an pull it out releiving the dreadfull pain I now bare.

Wormy
02-10-2004, 10:41 AM
I will get some pics of the Coopers up later. I actually have to work for a living today. Be back this afternoon and will figure out the digi cam..

Adam. Always looking for new stuff! I am most likely interested in most anything you want to get rid of.

Will talk later.

Wormy

Flaptail
02-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Wow CS! Not only did Adam stick it right through you but he turned it slowly while you writhed in agony! Ouch!:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: Hi Adam!

bassmaster
02-10-2004, 06:57 PM
tell me there aint shill bidders going in there against that guy

Backbeach Jake
02-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by bassmaster
tell me there aint shill bidders going in there against that guy
Ya see a lot of that on Ebay, I like to play stick the shill once in a while. :laughs:

Surfsters
02-13-2004, 12:49 AM
The guy buying that plug is a friend of mine and the seller had a friend shill bidding ... my friend just wanted to make sure he would win it..... anyway he told the guy to stick it, hooks first ...... he then received neg. feedback for it. If you guys have the time and want to see some of my collection, I just updated my web site today......http://shorelinebt.com/

Adam R
02-13-2004, 09:23 AM
The site looks great Tom.

Slipknot
02-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks Surfster, welcome to the site. I like your site :)

Clammer
02-14-2004, 02:10 AM
Welcome =nice site:cool:

Bill L
02-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Surfsters, I bought one plug from that guy off ebay last year, just a Cap'n Bill for about 30 bucks, and didn't check his feedback first. I wasn't the quickest getting the money order out (a few days, I was busy) and got a pretty rude email from him.

So I checked his feedback just out of curiosity and couldn't believe what I saw. :eek: Sent the money order off with a kiss, and did get the plug no problem, but thats the last time I'll bid on one of his plugs.

beachwalker
02-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Nice site Tom :)