View Full Version : Don't Forget VD Saturday

Jimbo
02-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Any of you hopeless romantics who aren't into pi$$ing contests with your sibling over IQ tests that crack addicted lab rats can pass, you might want to be reminded that Saturday is Valentines Day. Just my opinion, but I know to the average fisherman, this day is of no significant imporantance, but to your better half, remembering it with something that doesn't look like you went out Saturday morning before she got up to get it and showing a little thought in the process goes a long, long way! One suggestion from the book of Jimbo, if your spouse, better half, or significant other works and you can arrange delivery the afternoon before, this will have the other women in the office ooh-ing and ahh-ing and jealous to beat the band and won't their husbands catch heck when they go home and tell them and it's too late for a delivery the next day!

Now, on an humorous historical note, what not to do! Right after I got married I had taken a slightly false read on my new bride and thought she had more of an interest in fishing than she actually did, so putting on the blinders I hit some tackle shops and bought a whole bunch of red and white fishing stuff I was sure would win her heart on our first Valentines together. I learned oh so quickly that this tact is in no way romantic and that it is extremely painful when one's nostril is pierced by the razor sharp treble of a Daredevil wielded by a woman expecting romance, chocolate and flowers who ended up with lures.

Rappin Mikey
02-09-2004, 03:08 PM
I resemble that remark. This time of year really hits me hard. First there is X-mas, then her birthday is 1/27, then Valentines Day. How am I supposed to get my fishing cookie jar filled? I think she is expecting a ring this VD. So whatever I get her will be a disappointment. But I am saving.

fishweewee
02-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Will the Mass Supreme court designate a special Gay Valentine's Day distinct from 2/14?

JohnR
02-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Jimbo - thanks for the reminder :eek5:

Jimbo
02-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Ut-Oh, is she cornering you with the old, "I don't know which you love more, me, or that smelly old fishing equipment?" Or maybe she hits you with, "Mikey you're waiting to catch your first 50 pounder, meanwhile my biological clock is going tick, tick, tick" like Marissa Tomei said in My Cousin Vinnie. Be strong, man! On the bright side, you get all the important gift giving days out of the way now, so there should be nothing standing in the way of fishing all thru the spring and summer.

chris L
02-09-2004, 03:28 PM
VD ? I do not ! never have !

mikey if you gave it to her shame shame shame if she gave it to you kill kill kill

fishweewee
02-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Chris, I think the PC term for VD is STD.

Capiche? :hihi:

chris L
02-09-2004, 03:39 PM
oops ! I stand corrected . it will happen again !
cappeche ? what does that mean ? is that another variety of ppstds

The Dad Fisherman
02-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Rappin Mikey
I resemble that remark. This time of year really hits me hard. First there is X-mas, then her birthday is 1/27, then Valentines Day. How am I supposed to get my fishing cookie jar filled? I think she is expecting a ring this VD. So whatever I get her will be a disappointment. But I am saving.

Well I guess this is one way of letting her know she's not getting a ring :D

Hope she doesn't like to browse this site

RickBomba
02-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Stop crying mikey, at least you have two and a half weeks to earn more cash to buy presents with.
I have no job and Jess' birthday is five days after VD.

On a lighter note, Jimbo, what do I do if I'm the one working; she is off.
Later,
Rick

Jimbo
02-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Well Rick, if I were you, if she thinks you're working then you absolutely have to make time to show up with candy and flowers and wearing ONLY big fluffy pink bunny ears and feet like Buggs Bunny with a red bow tied on a present somewhere inbetween (remember, it's February, so account for shrinkage). And make damn sure you get the right house! She will never forget this! Ahhhhhh the things I accomplished in my youth, before kids.

RIROCKHOUND
02-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Caffeine fisherman... this means you...
You better go all out on Vday...

I gots it easy, the woman just wants me to shave my beard... then it can grow back, but it's been a while since I havent had some face fuzz... Yeah I'm a cheap bastahd, so thats is what I'll do, plus a card and some chocolate.... I figure 20 bucks tops :D :D
Aint I a stinkah

beachwalker
02-09-2004, 07:46 PM
it'll do the job Oak.

it's the effort that counts in their eyes.

:)

Nebe
02-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by fishweewee
Chris, I think the PC term for VD is STD.

Capiche? :hihi:

Or in some cases the dredded :claps:

RIROCKHOUND
02-10-2004, 09:43 AM
B-Dub, you got that right, it's all about the effort... Still need chocolate and flowers, but she wants to have dinner at home (mmm calamari.... my secret recipe) then maybe a movie... low key night....

Got Stripers
02-10-2004, 08:32 PM
I refuse to subject myself to any STD, just to celebrate yet another holiday the commercial interests love to hype to make us pour slobs shell out money. I think I'll celebrate it on the water and give each bass a kiss before release and tell them I love them:).

Saltheart
02-11-2004, 05:41 PM
I once had a girlfriend for 2 1/2 years who I liked a lot and always bought nice things for. Well one valentines Day i went for the "Its the Thought that counts" approach. I found this sleeping bag looking thing at a sportsmans show that had holes for the head and arms and feet so that you could poke your feet and hands out to walk around a little etc and you could pull them in when you sat down to watch TV to keep warm.
Anyway , i thought it was a perfect Valentines gift cause it was red and she liked to curl up on the couch and watch TV and always had a blanket to keep toasty. I figured it was way better than a blanket and as i said red and well I was convinced it was perfect.
I also hinted how i had found her the perfect VD gift etc for a few weeks before the big day.

When I gave it to her, her jaw dropped about a foot and well , to make a long story short , I was womanless by St Patricks Day. :(

How was I supposed to know she thought it was going to be a ring?? I look back at it and laugh at myself cause in hindsite it was pretty stupid but I tried and well..... live and learn.

fishweewee
02-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Mike, *ouch*! :D

Jenn
02-12-2004, 01:36 PM
too funny saltheart! a friend of ours got one of those for his wife for x-mas one year....we laughed and told him she was gonna kick his a$$$ for that! sure enough, she wasnt very happy with him!

Saltheart
02-12-2004, 09:50 PM
For some reason , in a man's mind , it just seems like a great gift! ? :)

Crafty Angler
02-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Geez, Mike, in retrospect it's probably lucky you were only out the price of a sleeping bag.

I hope it was an XXL :D

Raven
02-13-2004, 05:38 PM
st valentine was one of aproximately 2 hundred people massacred and most were beheaded on supposedly this day
way back when.....but like most holidays its been hijacked by the fruity tooties with flowers in their hair for a joyous celebration of pigging out on chocolate again.... this isnt even taught in school.
instead we exchange valentines cards...what a nightmare.
i say what a bunch of CRAP because i dont need a false holiday to be romantic...its like knowing your gonna have a surprise birthday party and pretending to be surprised. its nothing spontaneous at all. :smash:

Jimbo
02-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Easy, it's just a feel good holiday if ya wanna celebrate it. Kids seem to like it, too. I never heard that about the massacre, except, of course those 12 or so mobsters in a parking garage in Chicago in the 20's. But it did bring up a good point about where it originated. Here's what one search I read found, I say we go back to celebrating that Lupercalia Day:

Although the mid-February holiday celebrating love and lovers remains wildly popular, the confusion over its origins led the Catholic Church, in 1969, to drop St. Valentine's Day from the Roman calendar of official, worldwide Catholic feasts. (Those highly sought-after days are reserved for saints with more clear historical record. After all, the saints are real individuals for us to imitate.) Some parishes, however, observe the feast of St. Valentine.

The roots of St. Valentine's Day lie in the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia, which was celebrated on Feb. 15. For 800 years the Romans had dedicated this day to the god Lupercus. On Lupercalia, a young man would draw the name of a young woman in a lottery and would then keep the woman as a sexual companion for the year.

Pope Gelasius I was, understandably, less than thrilled with this custom. So he changed the lottery to have both young men and women draw the names of saints whom they would then emulate for the year (a change that no doubt disappointed a few young men). Instead of Lupercus, the patron of the feast became Valentine. For Roman men, the day continued to be an occasion to seek the affections of women, and it became a tradition to give out handwritten messages of admiration that included Valentine's name.

There was also a conventional belief in Europe during the Middle Ages that birds chose their partners in the middle of February. Thus the day was dedicated to love, and people observed it by writing love letters and sending small gifts to their beloved.

Raven
02-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Valentine's Day originates, oddly enough from Saint Valentine. In the 3rd century, Emperor Claudius II, 'the mean emperor,' abolished marriage.(Interestingly enough how san franciscan's are secretly grabbing marriage licenses for same sex marriages against california law, ie history repeating itself)
Saint Valentine, knowing that the future would hold a great need for heart-shaped boxes of candy, took couples and married them in secret. Apparently, however, not secretly enough, because Claudius II found out and had Valentine clubbed, stoned, and then beheaded. Then he tortured him.

The story goes that while in prison, Valentine fell in love with the blind daughter of a jailor. His faith cured her blindness, and before he was taken to out die he wrote her a message, signing it "From your Valentine."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now that sounds more like how the exchange of cards got started. i guess i have a bad association with it because of getting slapped way too hard by a girl who was overly obsessed with the holiday so that it made me a non- participant. If i attribute the celebration to the coupling of love birds in spring pairing off to build a nest then i can look at it in a much different light. i shall endeavor to create a new association .