View Full Version : tippet for stripped bass

kevinbp
02-10-2004, 10:27 PM
what size tippet should be used for stripped bass?

canyondiver
02-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Are you asking about length, test or both?
It partially depends on fly size and water depth/clarity.
In really clear skinny water I drop down to smaller flies and a light tippet. 10lb fluoro sometimes!
The butt on my 8,9 &10 weights is 40,40 and 50 then the transition is 30, 20 and my tippet from there. If the water is deeper or more turbulent I also use a bite tippet of 40-50 fluoro.
CD

rizzo
02-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Any time theres white water involved it doenst matter too much for what size tippet you use. I know a guy that uses 120# test leader when fishing around rocks with light spinning tackle. All he uses is one of those easter egg riggs with a jig and small fin-s fish. In the white water the fish find your fly/lure by their "radar" and line size doesnt matter. The 120# test comes into play when landing the fish, you can wrap it around your hand without getting cut to pull the fish up the rocks. He always does well and it doesnt take long to see that presentation is everything.

It seems the trends in fly fishing are toward really light tippets and thats fine when fishing the beaches, but when it comes to the better sized bass and structure you have to go up in tippet diameter. Even for something like the worm hatches, a lot of guys worry about their tippet size and spend more time sizing down rather then worrying about presentation. Most of the time if you present the fly right you'll be successful.

'ol pajamas
02-11-2004, 05:23 PM
The tippet must not affect the fishy movement of the fly. Also consider this, if a smaller tippet is used, for example, 12#, make the length longer for greater strength. But if too much length of a light tippet is used, it will become more difficult to cast in wind and turn over a larger fly. I only use two tippets 20# and 30# hard mono in the smallest diameters available for those weights.

steelhead
02-14-2004, 10:48 AM
I generally use a 6' length of 20# or 30" trilene. The length may vary depending on the size of the fly. I tie all my flies on with a double surgeons knot, so the fly is free to swim. Often I use droppers as well. Droppers tied on at about 18" intervals using 4 or 5 turn surgeons knots. The length of the dropper tag is about 5".

I don't do a lot of sight fishing on the flats. I suppose in those situations I might lighten the weight of the leader and lengthen it somewhat.

Fly Rod
02-15-2004, 04:27 PM
You get all differant answers when asking about tippet size. Like women, they are use to "misconception of size" HEE HEE !!
We all do what works for us. If you went by the book and you are rich you would use them fancy tappered leaders.
My professional view:smash: "OUCH"!!!

For my type of fishing which is allot of rock fishing & deep water I use straight 30 or 40 lb. test tippet [leader] strickly flourocarbon. And I too keep it about 7' long. When a fish is hungry," he's hungry":cool:

The Unorthordox Fly Fisher;)