View Full Version : Chrome and Anodized plug parts

CustomMarineProducts
02-22-2004, 12:42 PM
I have been looking into setting up chrome and/or anodizing tanks for some of our small parts that we make.
Is there anyone interested in having your plug parts chromed or anodized?? I am talking small pieces here.
I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

Nebe
02-22-2004, 08:57 PM
could you chrome a penn 704?;)

CustomMarineProducts
02-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Basically you can chrome anything made of metal. The item just needs to be able to conduct electricity. Depending on what your plating, (material) you may have two, three or more steps.

Nebe
02-22-2004, 09:46 PM
right, I know about how it is done, but what I'm getting at is this... is a reel too big for you to chrome?

CustomMarineProducts
02-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Sorry, I forget we are in a forum and the pic in my head isn't neccesarily in yours.:smash:
Anyway, I am restoring a 68 Triumph GT 6 . And in the process, will need to do some chroming and anodizing. I was wondering if I could somehow tie it into the business and am just testing the waters, so to speak.
The setup as it looks now will be 6 gal. buckets. I am sure your reels etc will fit.
I have to wait till after the spring madness is over, and will probably be doing this in June. If there is alot of interest, then I may do something on a larger scale.
I am also toying with the idea of making rod holders anodized in all different colors like cobalt blue, candy apple red, maybe two toned etc. Instead of just silver and gold. I think alot of guys would get a kick out of having thier rod holders match thier boat colors.

Swimmer
02-22-2004, 10:41 PM
People in the plating business fear those three letters>>> E.P.A.
I am sure you know what they mean. Aren't their enough chroming businesses in R.I. One of the best for chroming motorcycles parts is in your state. If you want the name I'll get it. My buddy who has has his bikes on something like 20 bike mag covers take his stuff there. Getting back to your question. I think if you follow the rules you'll find out its not such a small deal. I hang around Whitman Plating in Whitman, Mass. and the tanks they have are many. To chrome you need more than one metal. You can't just dipped something in the chrome tank and add a little juice and out pops a chrome piece. There are base coats and yes electricity is needed. Either way good luck.

Crafty Angler
02-23-2004, 03:18 AM
Hey, CMP or Swimmer, I got a question for yas.

IF someone was about to get, say, a VS 200 or perhaps redo a Penn 650 and wanted to trick it out and wanted the reel chromed or better yet, anodized in a certain color, would it be do-able?

Do ya need to strip off any previous anodizing to get the new color to stick to the metal of a reel ? What would the cost be to do that do ya think?

Sounds like you guys know the ins and outs of it. It sorta made me think, anyway, I'm just looking right now. :huh:

CustomMarineProducts
02-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Re-chroming would require removing the old chrome. re-anodizing would require removing the sealer over the old anodize.
As far as finishing a few parts, EPA is not a concern at all.
If opening a new business, plating and such, it does seem to be rather cost prohibitive.
Any large scale work, would be done easier and cheaper not in RI, but rather in Tawain. Sadly though, the savings would be more because of the lack of an EPA equivilant. Which would translate into poisoning the rivers of someone elses country for our nice shiny things. Something that I would have a problem with.
For somone that is interested in doing some small parts on thier own, take a look here.
http://www.caswellplating.com/