View Full Version : TFCTF - Graves Pt Pic

Moses
02-23-2004, 08:52 PM
A few people have PM'ed me regarding the picture, so here it is, enjoy...

Quote states the following; "The above catch of striped bass was made on the 29th of Auguest 1881 between 6 and 11am. Heavy sea on and a rising tide. This is the best day's fishing with rod and reel for striped bass of which I can find any record."

Total Weight ~ 495 lbs
Average ~ 49.5 lbs (picture is clear enough to read individual lbs)

Slipknot
02-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Congrats on winning that pic Moses :btu:
I was eyeing that before the raffle :drool:

I put something in the mail for you today ;)
Didn't get much time to yak with ya Sat. night.

awesome picture!

Nebe
02-23-2004, 10:11 PM
is that Habs on the right???

Crafty Angler
02-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi Moses -

Glad you like the Graves Point Fishing Club photo - it's pretty amazing, I never get tired of looking at it - hey, we can all dream can't we. Not bad for a morning's fishing :eek5:

It's even more amazing when you think about what they were using for equipment - yeah, they were using conventionals, but the drag system was just a leather thumb stall and the line was twisted Cuttyhunk thread.

Old George Tew there (the Baiter) was the guy who did everything but land the fish for them (Whipple and French were "summer residents" and more than likely belonged to the Cuttyhunk Club as well), he probably chummed them up using lobsters and pogies.

I've been doing research on Daniel Fearing, the guy who wrote the comments on the catch and it turns out he was mayor of Newport in 1894, but lived here his whole life. He was one of the well to do Avenue set but was an avid collector of anything to do with angling - the guy was a 19th century bass hound as it turns out.

Just thought you might enjoy a little history behind the photo - we've got some others we're working on now, I'll post 'em for ya when they're ready.

DaveS
02-25-2004, 02:08 PM
All caught on my birthday lol, man thats a helluva catch for one day:eek: . I couldnt imagine getting into a bunch of large like that.

fishsmith
02-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Just a hook and dead bait, I wonder if that method still works ...... :think:

Moses
02-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Crafty Angler - your response inspired me to do a little research also regarding the picture, events and gentlemen noted. Quite amazing and makes you appreciate it more understanding how they did it.

Would love to experience something half this in my lifetime.