View Full Version : A little worried.

Duke41
02-24-2004, 02:27 PM
I am sure that fuel this year is going to be a huge factor. As well as slip fees. Try finding one for less than 100.00/per foot. I for one am feeling like I am being pushed out of the market. It is getting really expensive to run my boat. I may downsize to soemthing I can trailer, a larger boat is out of the question at this time. The surf fishing life is begining to make more sense to me. Anyone else feel like I do?:( :(

Clammer
02-24-2004, 02:43 PM
My marina is 85- 95====

but charged by the slip size or boat size whichever is larger:mad:

02-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Duke,
I am paying about $80.00 a foot, but I can see fuel easily over $2.00 a gallon this season, probably in the $2.10-$2.20 range. The above reason is why I chose to not get a 23' like I originally wanted. It would have driven up my boating expenses by an easy $500.00 or more a season between the increase in slip price and the added fuel consumed by a large 4-stroke.

It's an expensive hobby to say the least!

BigBo
02-24-2004, 04:47 PM
This was partially behind why I went back down to a trailerable boat. I went from a 28', to a 22', now down to a 20'. I feel a lot more comfortable being able to shop around for cheaper gas prices not to mention the fact that this boat burns half what the 22' did. We won't even talk about the 28':doh: And this was when gas wasn't what it's going to be this season.
I can only imagine the crunch you're feeling Duke41. Makes it tough to run charters I bet.

Uncle Matt
02-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Duke and others -

Below is an ad from Sunday's Worcester Telegram & Gazette
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SLIPS Greenwich Bay Marina's new deep water concrete docks. New restrooms, showers, laundry, pools, restaurants, and new fuel dock. Best prices, $75/foot and up. 401-884-1810 x2.

www.greenwichbay.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no connection or affiliation. Just trying to help.

** I saw a story on MSNBC a few weeks ago where they expect fuel prices this summer to be between $2 and $3 a gallon for regular unleaded. Price increase due to mideast situation, weakening US dollar, brutal cold this winter felt in the Northeast and an increase in usual summer demand since some folks are still hesitant to fly since 9/11. That means marina/dock fuel prices will be nearer to the $3 a gallon plus.

Rip Runner
02-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Most of the prices on the upper cape are $120-160 a foot for the season.

MakoMike
02-24-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm paying $95 in Pt. Jude pond. Anyone have a clue as what diesel will be going for?

Van
02-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Duke,

I drooled over the pic of your boat in the other thread.

There must be a way, can you sell your soul or something?
Boating/Fishing is just too much fun..and that boat is SHWEET.

During the season I gerry jug as much fuel to my boat as U can to help offset the cost at the dock.

Have your crew chip in for fuel too, usually people I go with always offer $$$.

Don't know what to say about the slip, I am at a real small marina with very few extras, but the cost is resonable.
Maybe you can look around and save some dough.

Good Luck.

BigFish
02-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Can't beat footpower boys....don't cost nothin'! I do sympathize with you though, the biggest negative to owning a boat is fuel cost in my opinion. If I went out on a boat as often as I surf fish I could not afford to fish anymore.:bc:

Vectorfisher
02-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Duke why not just trailer the one you have?? I trailer my 24' Hydra Sports walkaround and alot of the time I am by myself when loading unloading etc. Not sure about this year because I have a new powerwinch but last year 10 minutes max loading and 5 minutes max unloading. Just a consideration for ya, gas is way cheaper at the pump than at the marina, also remember nothing good can come from your boat bathing in salt all summer, much easier to maintain,clean when its on your trailer in your yard! Also I wouldn't put too much merit into anybody's gas predictions I have heard it said many times that gas is expected to hit 2.00 a gallon and have yet to see it around here. Just my $ .02

wjm
02-25-2004, 12:37 AM
If you don't already have the equipment a new trailer and truck is worse than paying the dock/gas prices. For a 24' boat I'd want an F250 or the like, with a good tandom trailer. Trailer 2500.00
Truck new 32,000.00 used 20,000.00 for something halfway decent. No matter how you look at it ~28,000.00 buys several years of dock and gas....

Mr. Kav
02-25-2004, 08:35 AM
If you get in a yacht club you would be surprised about the money you can save being a boater. i went from $85/ft to $11/ft and there is discount at the pumps for gas. i know there is usually a big waiting list to get in but the sooner you get on a waiting list the better you would be. also a yacht club is allot more personal than a marina i found. people seem to be more willing to help out at a yacht club. just my opinion.

Mr. Sandman
02-25-2004, 08:37 AM
I hear ya...I got a private slip out here for 125/ft and I am happy. I think it is a supply and demand thing. There are just not enought marinas. If you can get a slip for under 100/ft take it.

You might try a mooring. I had mine on a mooring right near my house and they a cheap. (my was 75 bucks for the year...residents) A slip IS better but a mooring is very cost effective. You will find you do not use your boat as much if you trailer it. Sure there are guys who trailer regularly but it is a pain unless you are only driving 1 mile to the water or have a small light weight boat. Towing a boat around town is a pain IMO esp when the weight exceeds 4000 #. I can't imagine driving around with a 38' donzi on a triple wheeled trailer...not my idea of fun.

Van
02-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by BigFish
Can't beat footpower boys....don't cost nothin'! I do sympathize with you though, the biggest negative to owning a boat is fuel cost in my opinion. If I went out on a boat as often as I surf fish I could not afford to fish anymore.:bc:

BF, you are missing the point, boat owners don't just own boats to go fishing. Personally, There is no place I would rather be that out on the sea on a beautiful summer day..

If I was forced to give up either boating or fishing,,,,FISHING would go !!

Of course this is just my opinion, and is the way I feel personally. But I would NEVER give up my boat.

BigFish
02-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Van....Duke41's original threadstarting post is in regards to the high cost of operating a boat for the purpose of fishing.....also comments on "surf fishing starting to look pretty good to him"!!!! One of us missed the point and I don't think it was the BigFish.:smash:

Van
02-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Ok after a re-read, you are right, Duke is expressing the high costs of boating and if fishing is higher priority, then the boat goes.
High costs !!!!!
To that I am in total agreement, I went to the boatshow the other night and nearly fainted at the prices of new rides. One dealer said "only 500/month. Hmmmm I did some quick math in front of him.

500 + 200/Mo insurance + estimated 300/Mo slip + estimated 200/Mo (1200/Yr) fuel + 200/Mo (winter storage)= at least 1400/Mo. NOT 500/Mo.
Oh, then there are the maintenance costs....

He walked away......

My statements reflect how I feel personally. I would never give up my boat, but I do have the option of trailering if I had to, (did it for 6 years). Plus it failrly cheap to run (single 175hp fuel injected)

But so far no-one else has agreed on his switch to surf fishing instead of boating. Rather good suggestions are offered to help him save some $$ and keep his boat. AHHH TRUE BOATERS (they get it)!!!!

BigFish
02-25-2004, 10:18 AM
I do think boats are pretty sweet Van, I look once in awhile for the heck of it, but I just can't justify the cost. I would have to have a slip because the whole trailering thing would get old real fast. You know what they say Van....the best boat is a friends boat:uhuh:......Buddie!!!:laugha:

Van
02-25-2004, 10:24 AM
We can finish this tonight Buddy....at the bar !!!

Goose
02-25-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm no psyhcic but I think Big Fish gonna be a boater someday:D

Hooper
02-25-2004, 10:38 AM
I grew up walking the beaches when i was young. I would hound my mother to drive me to the beach and i'd stay there for hours, hoping that a school of blues would happen to swim by so I could get ten minutes of fast action. More often than not, they didn't!!!

When became an adult,I could finally afford my first boat, an old klunker of a boat, no less... my catching went up through the roof. I caught more fish that one season than in my whole life simply because I had the option of moving around to find the fish.

Now, I have the boat I have always wanted and i go farther and catch even more fish. But, there is a price to be paid for that. For now, I am willing to pay it, and fortunately, I am able to. When I add up the receipts at the end of the year, i am always a bit amazed at how much this hobby of mine costs.

But here's how I can justify it. First, I don't follow up my fishing season with a ski season, or a snow mobile season, or a vaction to Walt Disney season or anything really. My one hobby and passion in life is being on that boat and looking for fish, or mostly, just being on the boat with good friends, my wife, my family. ANd that's my second point regarding the cost of it all, ... I get so much out of it! It is where I go for my therapy and my "recharge the batteries" time. This time of year, I don't have that option and it makes ME CRAZY!!! But it will come around again soon, so I'll make it to another year.

I pay just over $60.00 a foot at my town slip and fuel was $2.00 for most of last year except for a bump to 2.10 for a few weeks. If fuel got so bad that I faced an end to boating, I'd just fish closer to home. I could never give it up, I'd have to roll with the punches!!!

Paid in Full: My two cents

-Hooper:cool:

BigFish
02-25-2004, 10:42 AM
See you there Van! Goose, I like boats I really do. I admire the styling of many, and just the simple fact that they really are alot of fun but what bursts my boating bubble is the dollars and cents! Ater I boil down all the plus factors and minus factors (for me personally) the dollars make no sense!!!:laugha: Could happen someday Goose, when I get older, but for now I will stick with what I know best and love most......for me fishing from the sandy beaches on the Cape has no equal! Love going out on buddies boats though. Got out with Capt. Mike from Ave Maria one day last season, lots of fun. Also with Fisherwoman in her boat and we had the best time, Van was closeby on his boat as were a few other MSBAer's. Its definately fun for me once in a while. I get pretty excited when someone asks me to go fishing on their boat, it is always a nice change of pace. However, I like to reciprocate by having that person come surf fishing with me as Fisherwoman and Baitcaster did late last season. We had a good time. I respect the passion many of you boat guys have for the type of fishing that you love to do, and I know I like to joke with the boat guys from time to time about how "boat caught fish don't count". Thats all it is, just a little light humor. You got my respect boat guys and I hope I don't get thrown out of the surf casting fraternity for admitting it.:laugha:

See you tonight Van!:cheers: :gu: :buds:

Goose
02-25-2004, 11:15 AM
I've been down that road more then once and it suxed. I bought two money pits before I finaly got a decent boat. There are many things to consider when deciding. Trailering.....pros and cons, hoarse power...pros and cons, length ect..... like you said it all boils down to $$. The more your willing to spend the better choices will be availible to you. Occansionally there are good deals floating around out there guys that are desperate but ya gota have the cash on hand. proably all old news to you but its good to be refreshed sometimes.....one more thing, boats can get you to fishy island;)

BigFish
02-25-2004, 12:24 PM
I like fishy peninsula just fine Goose.:kewl:

Recovery Room
02-26-2004, 09:15 AM
I'll make you feel better about the prices you've been paying.

Slips: Plymouth $110/Ft, Kingman Marine (Cataumet on Cape Cod) $160/Ft, Hyannis Marine $202/Ft.

Gas last year in Plymouth started at $2.05 and went up to $2.60 per gallon.

Billybob
02-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I'll give up my boat.............
WHEN THEY PRY THE MORSE CONTROL FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!