View Full Version : minwax wood hardner

Nebe
02-25-2004, 09:01 PM
I gotta say, I love this stuff.

Are you guys using it?? if not, you should... makes AYC strong as nails with 2 quick coats. I tried it on a batch of plugs about a month ago and forgot about it. Then I couldnt figure out why all my other plugs were coming out so 'soft' under the envirotex.

I'm in love :love:

Jigman
02-25-2004, 09:03 PM
You using this as a topcoat or an sealer? I tried it as a topcoat once. Kinda turned a weird whitish color. Have not used it on top since. I have sealed poplar with it and it does well for that application.

Jigman

Canalman
02-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Eben,

I hope you're wearing a respirator when you use that stuff, it has some nasty stuff in it :yak:. It made me pretty dizzy when I used it... Right Bob? :(. I believe It has MEK in it as well... which can be easily absorbed through the skin and has ill effects on your liver etc. So be careful :).

I have been turned on to a new idea... by someone on "That other site" :rolleyes:. I put my plugs in the oven at 220 for 10 to 15 min. And then brush a thin coat odf epoxy on. The heat makes the epoxy flow well and it soaks right into the wood, leaving a hard, waterproof surface. It even flows through the wire hole with a little coaxing.

-DAve

Christian
02-25-2004, 11:34 PM
i use it, dries in like 2 hours. love it. use it outside.

Striperknight
02-25-2004, 11:37 PM
I use it outside. Stuff works very well but is lethal!!!!!!

Nebe
02-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Canal man thats a cool idea with the oven... I might have to try that.

But yes, I'm dong it outside.. Jigman I brush it on bare wood (wearing latex gloves) then leave it to dry over night. Then I give the plugs a white base coat then createx paint, then Envirotex..

UserRemoved1
02-26-2004, 07:19 AM
Christian and others let that stuff dry overnight at a minimum. It's definitely not dry in 2 hours...you might think it is but it's realy not dry underneath...if it's not completely dry you will have problems with coats above it not drying properly, it seems like the fumes continue to go through the upper layers and softens them up.....

ChrisH
02-26-2004, 04:47 PM
I highly recommend it. I fill an old jar with it and dip the plugs in the harder. I actually put the lid on the jar and shake it up a little to make sure that the harder gets in all the right palces.

Chris