View Full Version : Dunk a Chunk

Goose
02-26-2004, 10:06 AM
What's your first choice when you chunk and why? Say we're chunking a good size pogie cut in 4.
Although I got my biggest bass to date on a head last year, I still choose the next behind the head. I feel because it holds more scent in gutts and blood and has plenty of meat.

fishweewee
02-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Same. The juiciest part, with the most meat, blood, and guts. The fresher the better. :hihi:

scarecrow
02-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Chunking mackerel up in maine I usually always got for the part from the tail cut up. For some reason I dont think I ever got a fish under 30 inches on this part.

cheferson
02-26-2004, 10:47 AM
i like the piece just before the tail when chunking bunker, doesnt fall off ass easily as a middle piece and still has a decent amount of guts. I always used the heads AND tail for chum.

GBOUTDOORS
02-26-2004, 11:24 AM
I like just after the head chunking but use the whole fish for bigger fish. I will cut or slice the sides to let the juices flow and then hang on. I have caught just as many on whole dead as whole live.

Van
02-26-2004, 11:25 AM
If its a pogie I cut it right in half so that both pieces have the yummy guts.

What ever the bait is I use all of it, head tail gills guts.

bart
02-26-2004, 11:32 AM
i like to use the piece right before the tail. chunk seems to stay on better, caught my biggest fish this way.

Canalratt1
02-26-2004, 11:34 AM
If I am drifting chunks at the Ditch, the tail chunk with the tail cut off, it stays on the hook better. For big fish the head is best, the smaller fish seem to not hit it as much.

hooked
02-26-2004, 11:51 AM
I've had better luck using a filet rather than a chunk. Usually mackeral. Run the hook through a couple times at one end and let ~3 inches flutter in the current.

(voted for just behind the head...)

Notaro
02-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by hooked
I've had better luck using a filet rather than a chunk. Usually mackeral. Run the hook through a couple times at one end and let ~3 inches flutter in the current.

(voted for just behind the head...)

That's my first choice when using a mackerel, Hooked.
As for herring, I use the head and middle section.

Bawana
02-26-2004, 01:10 PM
They favor the head on pogies and herring.I*ve fished with fresh cut herring and they wouldnt take anything except the heads.Just go right up inside the cavity and run hook out the gill plate.Other times it doesnt seem to matter and they will take anything thrown into the water.With mackrel I*ve had better luck with any piece except the head.

STEVE IN MASS
02-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Pogie and Mac's......cut off the tail right at the base, and the next two-three inches is my prime. While the middle and next piece near the head have those nice guts, you are usually tossing the guts out as chum on the cast anyway. And then that small strip on the belly splits, and the chunk lays butterflied and flat, instead of being a nice alluring chunky morsel.

Herring, if not fishing them whole, then I just cut right in half to make two baits.

bloocrab
02-26-2004, 02:30 PM
I don't care for the tail. I normally cut an inch off from where the tail-fin starts...and toss it. The tail is great for casting...it ends there for me......I LOVE HEAD :D ...but I won't use it first. Normally I'll start with the after-head piece....or better yet, the one that follows that one. I like to save my HEADs for at least an hour after I've started fishing. I figure those juicy body pieces are going to attract whatevers cruising the area....and I always feel the smaller bass (being a little quicker) will strike first. After the larger bass get a scent as to what's going on....hopefully they come in for theirs. I've never caught a short on a head.......

HEAD = LARGE

bloocrab
02-26-2004, 02:47 PM
:confused: .......oops,,,,twins

STEVE IN MASS
02-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Bloo....your bad...;)

Just to clarify, when I said I cut off the tail....I cut it off just at the base, and feed it to the gulls......it's the next 2-3 inches above that which is my prime.....

Years ago, I used to like to leave the tail on and cut up 2 inches or so from it for my prime piece, thinking that the tail fluttering in the water would be an attractant of sorts.......maybe so, but I find with the tail left on, it cuts down on casting distance and adds to helicoptering, and other subtle negative things.....so now it gets tossed.......

Goose
02-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Unless its real small bait I too cut off the tail fin, I try to make it irresistible and IMO I get better hook sets without it.

missing link
02-26-2004, 04:33 PM
I use all of it...what i think, if the fish are hungry the will go for it.:D... but if i really had to pick a peice it would be the peice after i cut the head off.

Clammer
02-26-2004, 05:15 PM
i Voted+++++++=======