View Full Version : TopKnot sighting

Karl F
02-27-2004, 10:16 PM
:conf: :yak6:
If it wasn't fugly, it was his twin... and it hasn't aged well, wished I had a camera...

Slipknot
02-27-2004, 11:54 PM
OK, who's topknot?

Karl F
02-28-2004, 08:48 AM
If ya don't know, yer lucky ;)
Character with his hair done up in a topknot, and missing half a leg, wears a peg. Fished the back beaches in the 70's 80's-90's.
Real wild man, childhood friend of some famous surf writer, stepson of a respected and well known surf legend. (No names here)
Some of us old pharts know of him, I know Dave and Tony does, BM, seen anybody fishin' in drag lately :laughs:
Used to drive around in a big whit van with a cooler rack on the front, sold surf rods and plugs at the wfleet flea market in the 80's-90's, used to pull in the flea mkt early AM with a big striper on top of the cooler, biggest one he could buy down at the wfleet pier :rolleyes:
I thought he was either dead or instatutionalized by now, but what I saw, had to be him.

Backbeach Jake
02-28-2004, 08:59 AM
I do know that sightings were rare or non- existant last season. A small mercy.

Flaptail
02-28-2004, 02:21 PM
I thought he was dead. I used to see him all the time he had a red jeep wagoneer thingie and you could tell where he fished cause he left tracks that were one foot print and two small holes from his crutches. He's a nutbag to be sure.

Mike P
02-28-2004, 05:03 PM
I remember him too from back in the 80s.

bassmaster
02-29-2004, 12:49 AM
no #^&#^&#^&#^& , you seen""" peg leg.................
Christ I use to give him a fish to go away.................

Ed B
03-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Is this the same guy who used to fish with the crutches? Chatham Inlet mostly back in the 70's and 80's?

I never met or talked to him but I kind of admired his dedication.

Karl F
03-01-2004, 08:37 PM
There was a guy named Steve, not sure of his last name, from Boston, I believe. Had one leg, no peg, just crutches, he drove a red Jeep Cherokee, in the 80's, that was fitted to be self-contained, fished the Chatham inlet, and the inside mostly. Could cast well, considering his situation, he was very dedicated, and caught some nice fish over the years... had one turn, making the line go slack, and swim right thru his crutches on the bay side one night!
Nice guy, liked his beer a bit, but, most of us all went thru that too! :rolleyes: (Least, I know I did! ;) ) He had a pickup, with a camper, for most of the 90's.. hear his health is not too good... Toneski, heres about him now and again thru a mutual friend of theirs... however, he was not, and should not be confused with topknot!!

Ed B
03-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Steve from Boston would have had to have been the guy I remember then. One leg with a hip boot, crutches and the Red Buggy.

Speaking of a guy who liked his beer, whatever happened to the ole drunk named Baker. You must remember him Karl. He would catch one fish, stop fishing, sit next to it and swear at everybody who walked by. First time I saw him was when I was about 18 and I used to fish alone. Instead of being intimidating, which I'm sure was his intent, it became kind of funny. After I got used to seeing him around I'd walk past with a "HEY BAKER WASSUP" ,and he'd let loose with a bunch of profanity. Never changed.

grampa old spook
03-02-2004, 12:43 PM
i drank with one of'em at foleys in the old days..

Karl F
03-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Bakah! he was always baked. Man, fishin' and drinkin', 70's 80's, there were a few crews that out there that couldnt wet a line till they were chitfaced back then, fistfights, and buggy racin' too.. wild wild west days.
Did you ever have that, shall we say, lady, in the wagonneer, stop by and try to get chummy with you, back then? I hear she was very, uh, popular... I might have been drunk on some occasions, but, thankfully I was never THAT drunk!.... heard her referred to as the surcasters groupy... :rolleyes: pretty scary, she were :eek:

Ed B
03-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Ouch Karl, the image of a surfcaster groupie is going to take me a while to get over. :sick: I only HEARD about her thank goodness.

What I miss most about those days is the intensity. Yeah there was swearing and fights but it was like being in the playoffs. Yankees-RedSox game 7 every night. An adreneline rush that fishing today can't replicate.

Bawana
03-04-2004, 11:08 AM
LMAO--met a lot of great people fishing and no matter where you go if you go often enough you always seem to find someone that you*ld swear just came in on the last asteroid

Backbeach Jake
03-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Truro's reprobate surf legend is Phat Francis. Always wore a top-hat. He'd spike his rod and commence to drinkin. When he woke up , there's either be a bass dead in the wash or a missing rod. Never met him ( we're talkin 1950's) but he's still rembered for his shenanigans.