View Full Version : Swimmer/All/ Gaff and Release

LINESIDES
06-13-2001, 10:39 AM
Swimmer,
I hope this is not taken as a cover. I do not speak often but I speak from my heart. The small amount of information I offer on this web site is like getting insider trader information on the stock market.
However, related to Stripers.
You did get me there and I am glad you brought it to my attention. Sometimes my fingers on the keyboard become detached from my brain, when I talk about Fish.
The technique I was referring to was the one you spoke about in your post related to "The Bait".
"They used eels and a lead head jig setup spiced with some chunk bait." I have fished Stripers Forty Years, and "Only Stripers". Any other fish I catch other than stripers, I catch by accident.
I spacifily target large Stripers. I have seen allot of techniques used over the years, but have never seen nor heard of that technique being used. (THE BAIT)
I have seen allot of techniques used over the years by meat fishermen that I do not "condone", or "approve" of.
Some of the folks that had trained me to take large fish used the technique you spoke of.
I was only trying to give you an insight to the mindset of these people that gaff and release.
To these folks, (My self excluded please) "meat fishing" time is or was money.
Pods of stripers do not hang around long in a feeding state. They eat and move on quickly. The more time that is spent carefully handling these fish the fewer fish get into the boat. This is why some people land one fish in their boat and another lands 12 fish.
The people that trained me carried six rods, when a fish was taken it was not even removed from the rod and plug. There was a system set in place to handle them and I did not approve of it.
I have developed Four techniques that I use and condone. Extremely large net, pick them up by there skull, pick them up by the Plug or Lure.
I have a hand made gaff that I made with a 12/0 hook debarbed, extremely sharp, place the hook in the mouth, on the side of his face, transfer gaff to the left hand, reach over grab the fish by the skull with the right hand and lift the fish into the boat. Make sure that the fish does not hurt him self, by thrashing around, while he is in the boat. Tell him (The Fish) to be more careful in the future, Kiss them between the eyes and set them free.
I have not been gaffed, but I bet it hurt’s plenty, if you enjoy the fight of the fish, it is this time that the fish is in the terror state, that we enjoy, (The Fight). My friend you need to look into the eyes of a Tuna to see the terror in his eyes when he is beside your boat. It is enough to make you give up fishing.
Green people wish we would.
These day’s I release “All my fish”.
Unless some one I know ask me for one.
I cannot even stand to see them suffocate in the boat these day’s. I put them to sleep quickly.
I have not eaten fish sense I was Fifteen years old. Not even tuna from a can. But I have commercially fished. I do not and have not gaffed any fish that “I” have released back into the water.
In my book this fish and only this fish (“STRIPERS”), is truly the only mystical fish.
I hope this has cleared up some issues, with me and where I stand with this magical fish.
If I can be of further help in the future please feel free to email me. This goes for any one.
You have heard this before on this site. If I can share something with you, I will.
If I cant, I will tell you so.
If I have been miss under stood by any body I sincerely apologize.
Later, LINESIDES

Swimmer
06-13-2001, 11:31 AM
Linesides,
I had no problem with your opinons and traditions in any way. I appreciated the response. I in my own mind questioned my own thoughts and ideas as they related to what was being done. Just because it is news to me doesn't mean that gaffing the cobia and then releasing them as part of a study isn't acceptable. Interacting with others and learning what other people do and learning what other people think is everydays greatest lesson. You have experienced things I haven't and I'm sure I have experienced things you haven't and exchanging these experiences saves me and the rest of us a great deal of time and effort when you are gracious enough to share your past with us all. You to Gusto.

Peace and tight lines

LINESIDES
06-13-2001, 01:10 PM
Great Swimmer Thanks.
Can you elaborate a little more on that Jiging Technique?
Thanks again, Linesides