View Full Version : How many stripers do you eat during the season?

striprman
03-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I fish 3 times a week and if I catch a keeper, it comes home.

But I usually give some to my neighbors so, I end up with 1 per week (average)
So, that might be 15-20 fish between 4 people during a season

Now with 2 keepers at 28 inces, I might keep more.

What is the state recommended consumption level of wild striped bass?

Nebe
03-03-2004, 07:57 PM
I keep 10 fish a season. My folks get a few, my neighbors get some, and I keep about 5 .... all the rest are set free to grow to be 50 poundah's:happy:

"uffah!!"
03-03-2004, 08:01 PM
I only keep what I can eat!

BigFish
03-03-2004, 08:38 PM
I might keep four to six fish a season, I hesitate giving much away to people that I am not sure they will eat it. I think it is sinful to waste fish.:drool:

cheferson
03-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Last year was my first year and i only kept 7. Only ate 2 myself, the rest went to my parents and friends at work.

Surely Bassey
03-03-2004, 08:52 PM
I keep 2-3 a year. Definately if they're gut-hooked. Rather catch them than eat them.

"uffah!!"
03-03-2004, 08:58 PM
That's one fish I don't give away. I give away anyother fish, but
not Stripers. I keep only one then turn others back to the ocean,

RIJIMMY
03-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Its none of my business and people can do as they please, but I wish people only kept what they're going to eat, and not give away fish. Other people can't appreciate the time and effort fisheman/woman put into this and how delicate the striped bass populaiton is.
just my 2 cents.

MAC
03-03-2004, 09:23 PM
I only keep a dozen or so fish for the season

Slingah
03-03-2004, 09:39 PM
I keep about a half a dozen

Nebe
03-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by RIJIMMY
Its none of my business and people can do as they please, but I wish people only kept what they're going to eat, and not give away fish. Other people can't appreciate the time and effort fisheman/woman put into this and how delicate the striped bass populaiton is.
just my 2 cents.

I know what your saying, but I found that if I gave my parents a few fish, the results were amazing. Instead of telling me it was a waste of time chasing those stupid fish, it was " so how can we help you with this passion of yours?" Some folks keep every single fish over 28 inches:smash: Then you get the meat fishermen who bring their entire families, so that they can keep 2 fish per person, even when the grandma and the children are just sitting on the rocks.....Thats the real problem IMO...

Christian
03-03-2004, 10:29 PM
i kept 2 stripers all this season, my first fish from maiden voyage of my boat and last fish of the season dec 28.

i caught tuns of keepers.
let them go, eat wendys.:D

justplugit
03-03-2004, 10:40 PM
I kept one fish last year because of a treble in his eye. Someone told me he would have made it. I don't think so.
No problem with guys keeping fish to eat.

Flaptail
03-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Just a couple cause they don't let us keep the best tastin' ones. Pan fried in one piece!

Backbeach Jake
03-03-2004, 10:49 PM
I keep my keepers. I don't give fish away unless I have guests for dinner. And I don't keep more than I use.

davess23
03-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Last year, although I caught my share of keepers, I took home only one; believe it or not, I consider bluefish to be better eating. I grilled, broiled and pan fried a lot of those.

But last season, just like every season, I released several shorts that probably weren't going to survive, fish that I wished I could take home and eat, just so they wouldn't go to waste. I know there are all sorts of reasons why this has to be, but it still saddens me.

cheferson
03-04-2004, 12:10 AM
eat wendy's:laughs: I wish it upon you bro, after the dual ralph and faucet squirts you wouldnt kid around bout it.:D

nor-easter
03-04-2004, 12:51 AM
We love to catch Striped Bass and all other fish. We believe that God placed these fish in the sea for our enjoyment and made them edible so we could enjoy eating them. We keep the smaller legal fish we catch, (as they are better eating) as many as are allowed and dress them out and freeze them. We also pass fish along to our neighbors who use them and they in exchange give us Venison and Wine and fresh stuff from their gardens.
Non of the fish we keep go to waste.

We thank God for supplying our needs.

cheferson
03-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Amen

Skitterpop
03-04-2004, 08:28 AM
My wife doesn`t eat fish...some phobia or something.

Catch and release here

slapshot
03-04-2004, 08:37 AM
The CTDEP advises that pregnant women and/or women who want to become pregnant should not eat striped bass caught from CT waters (market fish are ok?). It advises that everybody else should eat no more than 6 meals per year. The reason - mercury toxins in the fish. I cannot imagine that the fish become toxin free after leaving CT waters.:smash:

RIROCKHOUND
03-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Last year I think I kept 4... my GF doesnt eat striper, only wussie white fish like fluke etc.. and even that has to be loaded with breadcrumbs and the such... me I like em brushed with oilive oil... basil, black pepper, salt and then grill em....When you think about it a big fish has lots of meat, so generally I keep one side of the fish and give the other side away, mostly to friends and my boss... keep him happy and I can takes the occasional day during the fall for blackfishing......

striprman
03-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by slapshot
The CTDEP advises that pregnant women and/or women who want to become pregnant should not eat striped bass caught from CT waters (market fish are ok?). It advises that everybody else should eat no more than 6 meals per year. The reason - mercury toxins in the fish. I cannot imagine that the fish become toxin free after leaving CT waters.:smash:

Sounds like eating to many stripers isn't to good. 6 meals a year.

Maybe I'll take up hunting. Any mercury in venison?

BigFish
03-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Davess23....that "one" fish you caught must have fed you and yours for a couple months.....how big was it again???:kewl: That was a beauty....hope to lay my first fifty in the sand this season....take anything over forty though. Wish me luck!

Duke41
03-04-2004, 09:21 AM
I kept 4 last year. My customers with the exception of a couple kept all the fish they could legally. If you added all the fish taken by the mebers of this board it would be a fraction of the fish illegally taken last season by the Sakonnet Fish trap company. The question is why are they still in business. Or better yet those a-holes down south the landed 100's of thousands more pounds of striper then was legal. The commercail abuse of this fish is going to hur us all. Maybe we should make striper a game fish.

Rappin Mikey
03-04-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm not exactly sure how many I kept/released. A lot with me depends how much food I have in my fridge. I don't like to freeze it, so I usually only take what I think I can eat in 3 days. I recently moved, but last year I would have a few neighbors and friends over every Monday or so for fish. It was fun, especially during football.

The Dad Fisherman
03-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Indanite
My wife doesn`t eat fish...some phobia or something.

Catch and release here

Mine doesn't either but it doesn't stop me..:D :D

I kept 5 last year out o fthe 7 keepers I caught (remeber I'm new to this, there will be plenty more this year) and ate them Blackened w/ cajun seasoning and also grilled.

If I'm not going to eat them they go back

chris L
03-04-2004, 03:29 PM
zero
I use all my kept stripers in the garden , great for the flowers !

Young Salt
03-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Zero...
The signs at the beachs around my home say things like 'dept. of health - unsafe for swimming' and high coliform bacteria - aka raise the brown flag. So if you shouldn't swim in the water why would I ever eat something that comes out of the same place.
Growing up where I have has resulted in me losing my appetite whenever I smell seafood...of course that makes people ask the question, 'Then why do you fish if you don't eat 'em?' I just smile and say of course I don't eat 'em - they're way too valuable for that. ;)

Oh, I love that dirty water :D

izzy
03-04-2004, 07:35 PM
zero last year...1 in my life!

GaryK2
03-05-2004, 02:19 PM
I would say I keep no more than three fish all year.

marky1
03-05-2004, 02:36 PM
I don't keep any..throw them all back! Even keepers:D

fishsmith
03-05-2004, 02:45 PM
I'll have to keep count this year, last year I'd say at least six.
Countless cod and haddock.
a couple tastey fluke
a few quickly bled and iced bluefish .
diggin steamers or scratched some quahogs.
I love New England Seafood!! and when I catch it, it adds the special flavor of success.

redlite
03-05-2004, 03:38 PM
A lot, and only about 2 fillets were ever wasted. Woman and I eat it a lot and I give a lot away to a lot of famly and friends that are too lazy to catch their own. But I also let a lot go. Plan on keepin less this year, mainly just because I am tired of the hassle of filleting them and properly discarding the carcasses.

smooth53_98
03-05-2004, 03:41 PM
I generally only keep stripers when I know someone wants the meat... I usually keep some myself, some to my neighbors, and my family... usually 3 or 4 stripers is enough considering all the fluke and weaks I bring home as well.

blackeye
03-05-2004, 06:20 PM
I like to eat fish at least once a week-twice if I can. I got some good recipes so I can mix it up and keep the kids into it. Plus I give some away to family. I probly keep one or two a week in the mid 30" range, and towards the fall I'll try to stock up the freezer so I can have my chowder on the holidays and special occasions. I broke down earlier this week and paid for a couple pounds of cod :rolleyes:
whaddyagunnado?

Nebe
03-05-2004, 06:35 PM
the people in the blue mimivan ate striper at leat once this summer:D

macojoe
03-05-2004, 07:20 PM
I keep a few, maybe 4 or 5?? I am not the biggest fan of bass. I like it but not to eat tons of it.
Now Fluke is a different story!! I keep a ton. We love it cooked all differenys way's. I guess I put about 100# for winter eatting away, and eat a few durning the season.
I am down to about 6 meals left for 4 right now!!

I can't wait till May!!

Joey G
03-05-2004, 07:31 PM
I keep about 4-6 fish.

Surely Bassey
03-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Ya know this whole thing has to do with the "hunter-gatherer" instinct....

blackeye
03-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Eben
the people in the blue mimivan ate striper at leat once this summer:D

bastards:af:

I'll get them if it's the last thing I do, oh yes I will. I installed a closed circuit camera's in several parking lots on THE road.

Steve K
03-05-2004, 09:29 PM
2 or 3

Moose Nuckle
03-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Backbeach Jake
I keep my keepers. I don't give fish away unless I have guests for dinner. And I don't keep more than I use.

I agree with Jake. I keep all the keepers. I eat all the keepers. I cook for guests and friends all season long. Flounder, Cod what ever. I guess that's why they call them keepers.

Raider Ronnie
03-05-2004, 11:02 PM
I don't eat much striper,
But I eat LOTS of Cod and Haddock!!!:humpty:
Ron

missing link
03-06-2004, 05:47 PM
I generally keep one fish per trip, try to grill it as soon as it's fillet then keep fresh for next day I'll even bring striper sandwich for lunch at work .
when I get black sea bass there cooked the same along with the cod
Typical meal grilled striper ( olive oil, salt ,chrushed garlic, then chrushed black pepper) aspargas and summer squash ,sliced tomato with homemade balsamic vinegar dressing wash it down with sam adams larger
oh yea baby R. U .HUNGRY YET later link:D

gdurham75
03-06-2004, 06:17 PM
i kept 2 last year....but let tons of schoolies live 'anudder day....is spring here yet? im getting hungry! :drool:

RI Popper
03-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Ohhh Lord, Let's try to guess. I kept about 20 or so Stripers from 30 to 48" last year. Considering I caught close to 400 stripers over 30" that's not bad. I have 5 kids and we all like to eat fish. It took care of the winter freezer stock. oops forgot to mention the fluke fillets, Cod fillets, Pollock, darn even found the solitary blue mixed in :(

Mercury :err: :alien: :whackin: :fishslap: But I feel fine :yak6:

GBOUTDOORS
03-07-2004, 10:58 AM
I take home one every time out so that would be two or three per week. I clean and vacumm seal them for winter use. I think we will be having the last fillets this week:( This year I hope to fill up on fluke for the winter:D

Raven
03-08-2004, 11:25 AM
when a good friend of mine dropped over after not seeing me for most of the fishing season. He's a huge advocate of strictly CATCH and RELEASE.... knowing this...i said hey DUDE check out my freezer...so he walks over and opens it....."OH my freakin god" he yells from the kitchen, after noticing that there wasnt room to put in even one more item. " YOU bastage" (yellin at me....) "no wonder there's no fish."
i had a very good belly laugh over that. I always tell him: "BUT i do practice catch and release , right into my frying pan". :D

Duke41
03-08-2004, 12:27 PM
s.i.f.o.s.

RickBomba
03-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Probably three or four a year. I only keepem if I can eat them within 48 hours.
Later,
Rick

chris L
03-08-2004, 04:40 PM
is that how long it takes for the rapping guy to drop them off ?

Bobbike
03-08-2004, 04:46 PM
None, I don't eat swimmie fish, only shell fish...go figure

RI Popper
03-08-2004, 08:56 PM
I gots to tell you folk. Striper is generally a good eating fish however, my brother once created something he called Striper Parmasian. (YUCK)> blahhh, phewwwwie, :( don't recoommend to anyone. :laughs:

fishweewee
03-09-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm starting to lose my taste for striper. I just think there are better eating fish. So I won't usually keep one for myself.

I'll keep one fish if someone specifically asks me to harvest one for them (preferably not much larger than 28 inches).

Thus far this year, I've averaged keeping three fish for every four trips out (basically almost one per trip).

Raven
03-09-2004, 08:59 AM
better tasting fish are orange roughy and red snapper which are rare now to find on sale it seems..... MY freezer before mentioned was filled with man raised trout....not stripers mostly.

Notaro
03-09-2004, 11:58 PM
I usually keep one or two fish in 28 inches. Most of times I caught a lot of BLUES (just like u, clammer) and scups (damn them). I never eat any scups or bluefish. Frankly I am afraid to use white flour on any fish unless it's atkins'. I developed a big panornia for bluefish. So I give them to chinese people in chinatown. They would eat anything that is fresh and FREE... My mom and her sisters have a big craving for scups. I eat fishes from my Uncle Wing's restaurant. I eat fluke and flounder.