View Full Version : Tieing Jigs

Goose
03-04-2004, 09:47 AM
I've tied a few jigs in the 3-5oz range and the problem I always encounter is not having enough bulk hair on the jig. I use my biggest tails, longest hair and I've tried mixing fish hair too, still I can't seem to get that nice bush of white. Can I get please get some tips? Thanks

This is a good tip I picked up. wrap solder around your tieing material on your jig....this adds a little more weight and saves your jigs from the choppers blue's.

Saltheart
03-04-2004, 10:47 AM
We put the bucktail on in bunches. Like maybe 1/4 of the jig at a time. you can't handle enough hair at once to go all the way around. also , we find that we can only get about 3 or 4 larger size jigs (4 and 5 OZ) out of even the best bucktail. we buy bucktaisl in bulk then seperate out the best , long haied ones for the bigger jigs and save the smaller ones for the 2 OZ jigs.

tlapinski
03-04-2004, 10:59 AM
much like Saltheart, i do mine in sections. i can get the 1.5 ounce in one shot, but not full enough. the largest i tie are 4 ounce, and those are only for launching at unruly boaters and guys on "the other side". :D wrap them in thirds or quarters to get the tail full enough. i like mine tied a bit sparsely, though, as it allows me to fish a lighter weight deeper than a bushy tied jig.

Mr. Sandman
03-04-2004, 11:12 AM
I think it may be how the jig itself is formed near the rear end of the jig. You want a little ridge at the back end, this way when you tie you bucktail/fishhair on the jig...it flairs outward giving you the "bush" you are looking for.
Another way to add extra fullness is to add some additional material to the hook shank after it leaves the jig...this tends to fill in the empty cavity left by the flaired bucktail .

I picked up some of these jigs called Parrakeet'z that do this. I have not used them yet but they sure look nice. I plan to put a little extra epoxy on the threads...esp on the shank.

Mr. Sandman
03-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Inside for extra fullness

Mr. Sandman
03-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Actually, Saltheart puts the most buck on a jig I have seen. They look very bushy. It sounds like he ties quite a few of them too!

nor-easter
03-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Saltheart Jigs are, IMHO, the best buy you can make for jigs.

Take the word of one who uses them!!!!

Saltheart
03-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Thank you for the flattering words! Its a small thing but I'm glad to hear people like our jigs. :)

Goose
03-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Informative Information!:btu: Thanks!

tlapinski
03-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Mr. Sandman, are those regular fixed hook jigs or are they free swinging? it could be a good idea, but might be a little tough to tie.