View Full Version : Boating Safety

BigBo
03-04-2004, 10:40 PM
I was just wondering with the upcoming season and all the really dumb things ya see on the water; How many here have taken or are planning to take some sort of boating safety course whether through the Power Squadrons, Coast Guard Aux, or whatever.
I personally feel that it's worth the time investment especially when you see the yahoos at boat ramps and crowded harbors and such.

Van
03-05-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm all set, but I have been compiling a list over the past few seasons of the "yahoos" I've seen.

I would like to send all of them, but the list has about 800 names.
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Moose Nuckle
03-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Hey Van,
Only 800 ? Man I think between you and the rest of us we could come up with more then that.

BigFish
03-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Moosenuckle...I think you are one of them....you and the other 799 Sea Monkeys!:laugha: :hihi: :uhuh: :gu:

ScottM
03-05-2004, 10:46 AM
The wife and I took a Power Squardon course 2 years ago. It's amazing what I did NOT know having spent many years on the water. I highly recommend this course to any boat owner, new or seasoned veteran, as it's always good to brush up on the rules of the road from time to time. There are too many yahoos out there as it is!

Van
03-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Good Call Scott....

Recovery Room
03-05-2004, 11:46 AM
My wife and I took one about 25 years ago when we bought our first boat. I am very much a proponent of mandatory boating education and/or licensing.

It's bad enough when you don't do what you are supposed to do, but there's thousands of them that don't even know what it is they are supposed to be doing. Oh, ya mean my wake is "my" responsibility ?? That's why I bought a big boat so I don't have to worry about wakes or stuff like that. ...... I'd like to pick en off with my flair gun.

Van
03-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Wanna start a thread on the stupidest things we've seen boaters do???
It could be a new "longest thread in history".

BigBo
03-05-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure that I'm for licensing for boaters, but I think a mandatory safety course would be a reasonable requirement. The certificate could act as a permit to operate a boat. I'm sure the state would love to have another licensing bureau.
I've seen lots of dumb things like a truck fully submerged at the ramp with it's headlights still on, to a 13' Whaler with six guys onboard trying to make their way out of the North River in Scituate with a good 6-7 foot sea. Not one of them had a thought about throwing on a PFD. Probably because they didn't have any. There's a lot of clueless people out there that'll eventually make things more difficult for the rest of the responsible boaters.

Van
03-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Saw a boat full of idiots one day, a few years ago, probably 5 people in a skiff, they had a kid with them, but luckily they had him put on a PFD.

Only problem, it was ON HIS BACK !!!!!!!!!!!:smash:

Musta thought it was like a parachute...

BigBo
03-05-2004, 04:56 PM
If they at least put it on his belly, he'd have a chance of floating face up and being able to breathe.:hs: What do ya suppose they thought the arm holes were for? Drink holders?

RockLobsta
03-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Just started a class last Monday night with my wife. I think it should be mandatory. We have been boating for a few years but figured what the hell nothing to lose. Even if you pick up one thing in the class you're ahead of the game.

I don't think any of the yahoo's I see would ever consider it. Its obvious they don't think about the responsibility that goes with it. .......:smash:

Bawana
03-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Some type of basic course should be required even if only basic reading of no wake signs.How many times you been fishing and some ding-dong in a 30+ come within 50 ft of you full steam ahead oblivious to what his wake is doing?????do they know they are responceable for it(say what??)--The ones coming the opposite way on a channel that turn across your bow( like 30 ft away) to pull into a marina.(OH sorry I was in your way). unfortunately this list is endless. These courses offered by the power squadron and the coast guard aux. are great and I*ve even taken the navigation course a few times over the years.God forbid the electronics go out and someone would have to look at the MAP--(a chart).wow look at all the red and green thingys--we can tie up to them. And yes I*ve seen guys stop and drop anchor right in the middle of the CC Canal and start fishing in front of the corps of engineers station. One has to wonder how many know its a 10 mph speed limit through the whole thing. I saw a guy stopped at gun point once coming thru there at 65mph in a 41 ft chris craft stinger.Shouldn*t talk about family though.

angler management
03-08-2004, 01:17 PM
I live and boat in NH. It is going to be mandatory here!

It is being phazed in by your birth date.

I do not need it yet, but figure I should do it now and be done with it.

It was only $20 total

Mass and Maine still do not have it mandatory

RIROCKHOUND
03-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Licensing should be required; RI is requiring it for teenagers now, but I hope it will be phased in.. you need a lic. to drive a car, why not on the water...
Boatwise has a great rep for saftey courses, I did my 100T training with them....
Bryan

Van
03-08-2004, 01:59 PM
I don't agree with a boating license because that will involve yet another fee to the state. We are currently fightling a city mooring "fee". Just another way to get more $ out of boaters. I think we pay quite enough as it is.

But, I do agree that a safety course should be mandatory and every operator would need to show his/her certificate if asked.

rexhamer
03-08-2004, 03:11 PM
My wife and I took the Coast Guard Auxiliary course several years ago before we bought our boat. I am in complete agreement that some license/permit/certification should be required.

As for fees - I can understand not wanting to create another hungry bureaucracy, but if I have to spend a little money on a regulation that will ultimately make boating safer for myself, my guests and everybody else on the water, I say it is small price to pay. Maybe even possible to be a one-time fee.

angler management
03-08-2004, 04:23 PM
http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/index.htm

This is for NH but the same thing is offered in many states.

This is almost free. It costs $10 for the class (book) and $10 for the card.

It is not a license but a safety card. Almost the same thing.

It's like doing a hunter safty course.

You can take the practice test off this site.

CHECK IT OUT! SEE HOW SMART YOU ARE!

:cool: