View Full Version : Rhody Leg of Striped-Bass.Com Tourney!!!

JohnR
06-17-2001, 09:34 AM
Looking at dates for the first Rhody Leg of the Striped-Bass.Com Tourney. Ideal Dates are July 6 & 7 with Saturday the 7th being the official day and Friday being the unofficial day... Tides are as follows:

7/6: Newport High tide 9:19pm - 1 day after full moon...
7/7: Newport High tide 10:01pm

I think this would be ideal for the Rhody leg.

Any thoughts or questions???

Slipknot
06-17-2001, 12:53 PM
O.K. with me.

Clammer
06-17-2001, 01:27 PM
same here//

Clammer
06-17-2001, 02:20 PM
Just realized I won;t be around that weekend,s---
But anyone looking for a place to crash Friday an/or saturday/Sunday. Let me know and I;ll set you up// later

Fishpart
06-18-2001, 06:08 AM
I may or may not be able to make it. The Jury is still out but with Friday off I might be traveling that weekend :( OTOH I just might get a shot at a nice sweetwater striper.

Saltheart
06-18-2001, 11:01 AM
I think I can. I have the week of the 4th off but I think we are sticking around RI. I bet lots of people have conflicts do to the holiday (july 4) but I think I could do some fishing. I don't want to miss the barbecue!! :)

chris L
06-18-2001, 11:25 AM
at the presant it looks good for me . the wife will leave me but if I can catch 1 fish its worth it lol . Im in unless something drastic happens .

STEVE IN MASS
06-18-2001, 12:10 PM
I can't make it between now and until July 13-14. :( If it happens then, have fun, and get some FISH this time! ;)

Got Stripers
06-18-2001, 06:53 PM
John I just typed you an email while I waited for the thread to open. I fished the email about the time the thread finally opened, that will give you a clue how slow it is for me. I've deleted all my old cookies and started fresh, but it takes minutes to open any threads lately.

As for the tournament, I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow, let alone weeks from today. I'd say plan ahead based on others and I'll be in or not based on what's up at the time; work/weather wise. Might want to show up just for some more of that strawberry shortcake :). Mentioned how good it was to the wife and she gave it a shot on fathers day. Well let's just say I didn't marry her for her great deserts...lol.

Saltheart
06-18-2001, 07:13 PM
Here's the recipe GS

Take a 4 pound bag of frozen strawberries (BJ's) and thaw. Mash them with a potato masher. Put 2 quarts of water in a sauce pan and add 3 cups of sugar. Stir and heat till the sugar dissolves (not too hot). Let cool a little then add to the mashed berries. mix well and chill in fridge. Cut up 5 pounds of fresh ripe strawberries into good size chunks. Get 16 of the buiscut shortcakes (not the angelfood kind).

In a massive bowl , put the buiscut , a "way lot" of the sweet strawberry syrup , and a couple handfulls of fresh berries. Make a mountain of "ready Whip" real whipped cream on top of the whole mess. Makes enough to give 20 guys a belly ache. As I remember it , you have to repeat the process for GotStripers cause he can down 2 of them. Incredible display of eating prowess . :)

Got Stripers
06-19-2001, 06:22 AM
Licking my chops just thinking about it, although that 2nd helping wasn't such a smart thing :). I'll pass that on to the wife, but I better have her ratio that down to serving 6, or I'll be a blimp by the end of the summer...lol.

Fisherwoman
06-19-2001, 08:27 AM
Hey JohnR, looks like BC and I may be able to do that leg, that is of course if it is all right with the other members of the board. I know it was a concern early on in the discussions for the tournament. Belive me I have only fished Rhody once so I wouldn't worry to much about me getting anything large, but the straberry shortcake and the barby sound good to me. We will know closer to those dates!!!

Saltheart
06-19-2001, 09:53 AM
I don't see why anyone would complain about BC or FW in the tourney. They put their stinky waders on one leg at a time like everybody else! :)

chris L
06-19-2001, 10:04 AM
fw and bc are welcome anytime by me . Ill fish with anyone and if they fish better than me all the more better ( maybe Ill catch on to something new ) I know I could use the help .
I dont know saltheart I put my waders on both feet at the same time . ;)

JohnR
06-19-2001, 10:26 AM
NO PROBLEM!!! FW & BC, btw - you two are crashing at my house. And BC puts his waders on one tentacle at a time (had to make sure I spelled that right :P )... Shcoolie Monster and his lovely bride get the other room space...

I may have some soft concrete floor available to those that can bring a sleeping bag - but for that I need permission form my wife (and that might be tough for unruly fishin' type people waking up her little angel WHHHHAAAAAAA!!!)

Fisherwoman
06-19-2001, 11:37 AM
Thanks Saltheart & ChrisL, looking forward to it, BC may have to catch some type of summer flu!!!! if ya know what I mean, but would love to hook up with the crew, was sorry to have missed the last one.

JohnR, thanks so much for the offer, that would be fantastic. Would love to see the wife and little guy, SM and the MRS. Looking forward to checking out some new waters, should be a fun time.

chris L
06-19-2001, 12:44 PM
john
back yard is better for loud fisherman dont want to wake up liam and the mrs , all hell can break loose .

JohnR
06-19-2001, 12:59 PM
Chris, the back yard might not be too good. All of the neighborhood wild cats, when they are not propagating their lineage, make all kinds-a-noise...

I do want to note that this weekend isn't optimal for several regulars and another weekend may be possible - any suggestions? The tides for the following weekend are not as good and the weekend after are OK but we're deep into July...

Thanks

schoolie monster
06-19-2001, 01:42 PM
John, I think I have a problem with Bill and Julie fishing, its just not fair...

FW, what the heck are you talkin' about. I wouldn't want to exclude anyone, especially you and Bill, or #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, or John 'cause he runs the site. The most important thing is to get together and have fun (this from someone who bagged the first tourny). But like Chris L said, bring all comers... anyone with any stones or "gusto" (we all know a few who don't) would want to face the best. From a learning standpoint and a competitive standpoint, whether its fishing or hoops or softball or checkers, I'd rather play with and play against top people.

Say the Sox and the Yankees both make the playoffs which is looking more and more possible as the Twins are fading... as a Sox fan, who would you want to face in the ALCS? Damn right you want the Yanks, 'cause they are the team to beat. As good as a World Series win would feel, it would be a bit empty if you didn't beat the Yankees along the way.

So let's lay this issue to rest... IMO, everyone is welcome... anyone disagree?

Fishpart
06-19-2001, 01:48 PM
The Friday the 20th and Saturday the 21st have about the same tides with a 914 PM high in Newport. In addition we have the new moon on the 20th. I know it is getting close to the summer slack season but we should still have fish on the south shore if they have left the bay. At least we won't be mixed up with the holiday. Any other ideas? Does Mrs. R approve of fishermen invading her yard that weekend?

JohnR
06-19-2001, 02:17 PM
I'm approved for a cookout but a mass landing of mutant lemings in the backyard hasn't been brought to her attention yet (although she does browse the boards on occasions - she likes the future recipe section)...

No excluding anyone. We determined that a month ago, remember, we have even invited Patrick :P .

As far as moving the date back another 2 weeks, that's really up to you folks. There will still be larger fish out there butmaybe not as good as a few weeks from now (I was thinking about an island that weekend :P >( )...

chris L
06-19-2001, 03:01 PM
im on call the weekend of july 20,21,22 but dont let that stop you fishers any other weekend is good for me but then we are in the heat of the summer .

Slipknot
06-19-2001, 06:11 PM
The 6th or 7th are better for me,tides too. I will be in North Carolina on the 20th in a King Mackeral tourney(first place is a new boat :) ).

This is better , the threads actually come up today. The last few days all I could get is the topics and the page never came up if I clicked on a thread.

Saltheart
06-20-2001, 02:33 PM
Well we lose some people for one date but lose some others for another date. Its always tough to get a date that's good for everyone. This weekend would have been great but SOL is having their thing. The off weekends (no moon tides) are good tides for Am fishing in RI but the tides will be low and therefore currentsl slow. July 20-23 is a great fishing weekend....north and east of Chatham!! :)
hard to believe we are already looking at fishing dates in July. The season goes by too fast!!

Anyway , just to get everyone psyched , I caught a 44 1/2 inch , 37 pound striper on east beach one year over the July 4th weekend. Got it on a livelined menhaden. Had been plugging and got nothing. My friend snagged the baitfish and was going to toss it back in when I asked "you gonna liveline that"? He said no so I asked if i could have it. Fish wasn't out there for 30 seconds and down goes my pole!! :)

There are big fish in RI in early July.

JohnR
06-20-2001, 02:50 PM
OK - who definitely can't make early July:

Clammer,
Fishpart,
Steve-in-Mass

Anyone else?

I REALLY hate to do this but it might need to be that weekend. The fishing should still be good then but if we get a heatwave in addition to the typical later July slowness - it could be tough - but not as bad as Chatham was that day...

STEVE IN MASS
06-21-2001, 03:58 AM
Guys, would love to come, but don't let me hold you up. I can always catch the other two legs. (Well probably, anyway). :)

Fishpart
06-21-2001, 05:47 AM
No problem, there are still two legs to come. It does make a lot of sense to try and get it "done" before the summer doldrums hit.

Clammer
06-21-2001, 07:06 AM
No problem guys, my offer is still open-to crash at my place/its just down the road from JohnR, WE;LL catch up//later

Saltheart
06-21-2001, 07:43 AM
OK, so is it definitely July 7?

JohnR
06-21-2001, 08:10 AM
Yep - with a warmup, scout day on Friday night (I'm really gonna). We'll work out the details and I'm going to talk to Don at Weekapaug about having his place as one of the meeting places - might be easier for the boys from CT... Might even do the grilling there as he mentioned that he has pits in the back of the shop...

chris L
06-21-2001, 08:25 AM
As long as my wife and kids dont hear me sneak out of the ..... oh never mind they dont care . count me in as a definate probable .

Saltheart
06-21-2001, 08:49 AM
Weekapaug B+T is a good idea for a meeting place. If you have ever driven with half a mile of the shop , you know he has eels. I'll swear somedays I can smell those eels at Duns Corner!! :)

Don M
06-21-2001, 10:04 AM
Hi folks:
If you wish to make the shop a meeting place thats fine with my partner and I, we have a large back yard area. Anyone with a camper or wishing to sackout in the back area is welcome. We can leave the restrooms open or arrange having a key available for all.

John R stated we have some pits, sorry I guess he misunderstood. However, we have a couple of grills.

We may even keep the shop open extended hours and have coffee and snacks. I can work that out with John.

Saltheart
Whoa! I thought I was the only one who got a wiff of those beauties from Route 1.

Hope this helps,
Don M

chris L
06-21-2001, 10:43 AM
Thanks Don and patrner you da men !!!

Im in !!! its nice to have fishing as close as across the street . let me know what to bring john charcoal , fluid , food . just let me know

Saltheart
06-21-2001, 11:15 AM
Thanks Don , that's a big help.

Great central location for fishing East beach to Napatree. Weekapaug B+T is right where Atlantic Ave (road that Misquamicut State Beach is on) crosses the Weekapaug Breachway.

There are lots of stores just up the road on RT 1.If you are spending the whole weekend and want to go somewhere nice, Mary's Italian Restaurant is my favorite Italian restaurant anywhere. Not cheap but super good and you never leave there hungry. Be careful , their italian sausages are very spicy hot.

Anyway , as you can tell , I'm pretty psyched about fishing taht area. I fish the canal mostly now but that's cause of where I work now but for decades , this area was my home for striper fishing. I can't wait. Oh yeah!! :)

Got Stripers
06-21-2001, 04:10 PM
Can we get directions posted for us M#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s that don't like to go to RI, unless Hooters is running a luncheon special...lol. Actually, I've never been, but I've never been much from trolling.

I'm not saying I'm in or out, but definately want to try to set it up, but it's too far down the road yet. What's the scoop on tackle, waders or not, korkers or not, plugs or eels/bait, come on John you can't hold all the secrets until the day after. How about a scouting trip from a boat, you know how lazy I am, according to a recent SOL thread we boaters like that easy fishing.

JohnR
06-21-2001, 08:47 PM
OK GS and everyone, first off - directions to Weekapaug on Misquamicut Beach (I'll put up detailed directions later ): here (http://www.mapblast.com/myblast/map.mb?CMD=LFILL&CT=41.383017%3A-71.765771%3A100000&GAD1=&GAD2=Atlantic+Ave&GAD3=Westerly%2C+RI++02891-4301&GAD4=USA&IC=41.319338%3A-71.821619%3A8%3A&apmenu=&apcode=&AD2_street=atlantic+ave&AD2=atlantic+ave&AD3=westerly%2C+ri&AD4=USA&selCategory=&GMI=&noPrefs=&Zip=02891&W=456&H=259&GC=X%3A-71.821619%7CY%3A41.319338%7CLT%3A41.383017%7CLN%3A-71.765771%7CLS%3A100000%7Cc%3AWesterly%7Cs%3ARI%7C z%3A02891%7Cd%3A521%7Cp%3AUSA&lv=5&serch=&FS=&MA=1&myzoom.x=196&myzoom.y=12)

And local to the shop... here (http://www.mapblast.com/myblast/map.mb?&MA=2&grp=m&DU=MI&W=456&H=259&IC=41.330899%3A-71.765329%3A100%3AWeekapaug%20B%26T&noPrefs=1&CMD=LFILL&CT=41.334381:-71.767482:39163&GAD2=Atlantic+Ave&GAD3=Westerly%2c+RI++02891-4301&GAD4=USA&AD2_street=atlantic+ave&AD2=atlantic+ave&AD3=westerly%2c+ri&AD4=USA&Zip=02891)

What to bring and what kinds of fishing? Unlike the Mass leg where we all stuck together I think we should seriuosly split up some. Most of the fishing is pretty open (no ditch to worry about :P ) and people can chunk, plug, eel, or whatever. Waders are needed for some spots splash pants and hippers good for others (like where I'm likely to go) Some of the places, like the Breachways should not be trekked upon without Korkers, some places they are not a bad idea and other sections like East/Central beach they really aren't needed unless you want to do the billy goat thing (not really needed)... GS, one thing that you'll see down in Rhody is structure that you are much more accustomed to then the areas we hit in Chatham.

Plenty of places to hit and very workable tides that weekend...

For lodging, not far down the street from Weekapaug is the Famous Andrea Hotel (and others I'm sure Don can recommend)...

Got Stripers
06-22-2001, 08:07 AM
Sounds promissing, don't own korkers but hopefully I can pair up with someone going down the mountain, instead of up. Just found out I don't have the conflict I thought I did. I have a date with Steve Nicks in July and I didn't want to disappoint....lol. I wish, but I am tagging along with my brother in law and his main squeeze to the Great Woods Show. Yeah it will always be great woods to me.

That's on the 14th, so I should be good for the 7th. I'll bring my wifes summer pasta/tomato/cucumber/onion salad; no corn this time around. It's not as sweat as salthearts strawberry shortcake, but it's damn good. I'll set up for eeling and bring some plastic, sounds like basic structure fishing to me.

Canalratt1
06-22-2001, 09:24 AM
Can't make it but I promise I'll get one in this year. BTW the Ditch is hot! Saw a 27lb. 41' caught on Weds., lots of breaking fish. Should be good for the weekend.

nightfighter
06-22-2001, 11:29 AM
Hmmmm decisions, decisions... Race boat to Halifax, (after starting with new company on 2nd of July), or fish some new places with new folks....lemme see
Did Halifax in 36 1/2 hours once in '78!!!! Not that much there besides Screech rum and redlight district. (yes, and no, to those who want to know if I sampled the local wares)
So if I want to keep new job, spend time with kids, and mebbe learn a thing or two bout catchin' bigger fish, I better figure out how to get my arse a couple of clicks past the Candy Store (Newport).
50/50 right now, mostly due to kids, not the race. Paycheck rules.
Hope to see you there.
nightfighter

Don M
06-26-2001, 11:32 AM
For anyone wishing to make reservations for a place to stay for the RI leg of the tournament you can visit http://www.weekapaug.com and go to the Misquamicut Business Association link. There are a number of places listed. Some of the other places are listed below. Places on US Route 1 are less expensive. Most of the fall fishermen/fisherwomen stay at the Pine lodge and the Newland(listed on the Misquamicut link) they treat fishermen pretty well.
Hope this helps.

Motels Westerly Area

Sand Dollar Inn
171 Post RD Rt 1
Westerly RI
401-322-2000

Ocean Blue Motel
First ST
Misquamicut RI
401-596-0721
Franklin Gardens
129 Franklin RT 1 toward town
Westerly RI
401-596-2705

Pine Lodge
Post RD RT 1
Westerly RI
401-322-0333

Blue Star Motor Inn
110 Post Rd Rt 1
Westerly RI
401-596-2891

Phil & Ann's Motel
Old Post Rd RT 1A
Charlestown RI
401-364-3321

The Country Club Inn
Rt 1A Shore RD
Westerly RI
401-348-8216

chris L
06-26-2001, 12:45 PM
I just need 12 feet of road or driveway for the striper mobile motel . Ill head out friday night and leave sunday am . If I head out early saturday am then I wont need a place to crash .

Saltheart
06-27-2001, 07:40 AM
We are going to attempt to get a site at Burlingame State park. Could be tough do to holiday weekend but we're gona try.

Don M
06-27-2001, 08:44 AM
chris L (06-26-2001 13:45):
I just need 12 feet of road or driveway for the striper mobile motel . Ill head out friday night and leave sunday am . If I head out early saturday am then I wont need a place to crash .

Plenty of room behind the shop. You are welcome to stay there.

Saltheart try Charlestown at the breachway also.
parks & recreation number 401-364-1227

Saltheart
06-27-2001, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info Don.